What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ROUND 7

Gareth67

First Grade
This Anzac day match will be very heated I would say, remember the last couple of years?
View attachment 12430

The trouble with Robinson is that he is too use to having his own way . That , plus the fact whatever he requires , training facilities and players .

Uncle Nick has always given only the very best to his coaches , so when a team such as the Dragons come along and knock his ' latte set ' players of their perch , he needs to find excuses to placate the bloke who sells cars .

What annoyed me about the blow-up was that Robinson's big bully boys had just flatten an 18 yr. old kid , whom at that time , was of slender build . Of course the player was young Ewan Atkins , who was clearly concussed and slowly rose to his feet and that is as we know , what set Robinson off .

His team of all-stars were being beaten by a team of strugglers and that was really what he couldn't take . I was so pleased when it was revealed that Mary actually walked into their dressing room and gave Robinson , the rounds of the kitchen . The man's coaching ability may be suspect , but at least his balls are in the right place .

This time around we finally have some big , tough boys of our own , so they will ensure that no young player will be bashed , without some form of retribution .

Last edited:

ALSGI

Bench
I'm very confident we will beat the Cowboys.
Me too I think we'll even let McCrone kick a FG at 40 nil up with 10 to go, all the experts, tipsters, betting agencies, posters on here........all reckon we'll win easily.
We're at $1.30 !!!
Players know this.
That's very worrying for me.

ALSGI

Bench
Frizz, Packer, Simms from of our regular forwards still haven't scored tries this year.
Should be slapped if they don't score soon, useless soft heartless girly bastards.

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL Preview: Round 7 v Cowboys
Thu 13th April, 10:00AM
A A

St George Illawarra Dragons v North Queensland Cowboys
WIN Stadium, Wollongong
Saturday, 7:30pm

The St George Illawarra Dragons are sitting pretty atop the NRL Telstra Premiership after six rounds, but will be tested by the fifth-placed Cowboys at WIN Stadium, Wollongong this Easter Saturday.

Having only dropped one game in 2017, the Dragons will remain unchanged from their last start 35-10 win over the Sea Eagles meaning Josh Dugan (hamstring) is out for another week.

An injury crisis has hit North Queensland hard, and they'll have to make do without fearless leader Johnathan Thurston this weekend against the Red V.

Without Shaun Fensom (ankle), Lachlan Coote (calf) and Jake Granville (leg) too, the Cowboys have been forced to shift their team around in a big way with the likes of Corey Jensen and Blake Leary named to play.

The visitors will be boosted by the return of centre Justin O'Neill (knee) however.

Teams –

Dragons: 1. Jason Nightingale, 2. Nene Macdonald, 3. Euan Aitken, 4. Tim Lafai, 5. Kurt Mann, 6. Gareth Widdop (c), 7. Josh McCrone, 8. Russell Packer, 9. Cameron McInnes, 10. Paul Vaughan, 11. Tyson Frizell, 12. Joel Thompson, 13. Jack de Belin. Interchange: 14. Tariq Sims, 15. Leeson Ah Mau, 16. Hame Sele, 17. Taane Milne, 18. Blake Lawrie, 19. Kalifa Faifai Loa, 20. Luciano Leilua, 21. Jacob Host.

Cowboys: 1. Kalyn Ponga, 2. Kyle Feldt, 3. Justin O'Neill, 4. Kane Linnett, 5. Gideon Gela-Mosby, 6. Michael Morgan, 7. Ben Hampton, 8. Patrick Kaufusi, 9. Blake Leary, 10. Scott Bolton, 11. Gavin Cooper, 12. Coen Hess, 13. Jason Taumalolo. Interchange: 14. Ethan Lowe, 15. John Asiata, 16. Corey Jensen, 17. Ben Spina, 18. Sam Hoare, 19. Enari Tuala, 20. Javid Bowen, 21. Braden Uele.

Key Match-Up: Cameron McInnes v Blake Leary – The Dragons have been relatively settled of late in their weekly make-up. The same cannot be said about the Cowboys who will only have one regular member of their spine (Michael Morgan) featuring against the Red V. Former Sea Eagles utility Leary will don the No. 9 jumper as a result in just his second game back in the top grade. He'll come up against the form hooker Cameron McInnes who sits high in the competition in terms of try assists (four – equal 10th) and tackles (269 – second).

The History: Played 28; Dragons 13, Cowboys 15. The Dragons have had an unhappy time against the Cowboys of late, winning two of their past seven games against their upcoming opponents. While that run extends back to 2012, the Dragons were last start victors against North Queensland when they played them during the Origin period last year.

Match Officials: Referee: Henry Perenara. Assistant Referee: Matt Noyen. Sideline Officials: Russell Turner and Rohan Best.

Televised: Fox League – Live coverage from 7:30pm

Radio: ABC and 2GB

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/13/nrl_preview_round_7_.html

chemics

Juniors
Anyone got a codeword /password for the ticketmaster website for this game looking at taking the family.
Cheers.

getsmarty

Immortal
Cowboys will lift without Thurston: McGregor

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

14 Apr 2017, 2:58 p.m.
r0_0_3000_2000_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

OUT: Jonathan Thurston. Picture: Getty Images

ST GEORGE Illawarra coach Paul McGregor says he won't let a Jonathan Thurston-less Cowboys slip under his side's guard at WIN Stadium on Saturday.

Thurston remains in doubt for next month's mid-season Test after injuring his calf in a surprise loss to the Tigers last week. He joins veteran forwards leader Matt Scott, who suffered a season-ending ACL tear in the Cowboys round two victory over Brisbane, on the injured list.

It won't be the first time the Dragons have faced a depleted Cowboys outfit in Wollongong, having hosted the 2015 premiers during the State of Origin period the past two seasons, splitting the clashes.

The Dragons had their pants pulled down by the Eels in their first game in Wollongong in round two, their only loss this season, and McGregor scoffed at claims the Cowboys were vulnerable without the game’s best player.

“I think any team that is without star players, they lift,” McGregor said.

“It can’t be one, it’s got to be collectively, so [Paul Green] will expect a little bit more off everyone, not just one or two guys.

“The last three years they [finished] first, third and fifth in the competition so they’re a hardened side with good systems in place.

“Jason [Taumalolo’s] a strong ball-runner, Cohen Hess is a strong ball-runner, [Michael] Morgan’s a good running five-eighth and [Kalyn] Ponga’s a very special kid so they’ve got some talent there and they’ve got some hardened edge back-rowers as well.

“You don’t finish in the position they have, year after year, if they don’t know what’s needed to win games. They’re well coached and they’ll certainly be coming with a good attitude after getting beaten by the Tigers last week.”

Even with Thurston on deck, there’s every chance the Dragons would have started favourites against the Cowboys for the first time in a number of seasons, given their impressive start to 2017.

They’ll have the chance to prove they are the real deal over the next month, with games against the Roosters, Storm and Sharks to follow Saturday’s clash.

They’ll have their first bye in round 11 but, in contrast to last season, McGregor says his side aren’t focused on anything more than their next game.

“We wanted that opportunity last week [against Manly] to show that our character and certainly our attitude was real and we did that,” McGregor said.

“There’s no blocks talked about, there’s no half-season [benchmark] talked about, there’s no byes talked about there’s nothing but the game that’s coming up that’s been talked about.

“There’s no guarantees, it doesn’t matter who you play, you’ve got to bring your standards and that’s something we’ll bring on Saturday.

“It’s really important we drive our standards, our efforts and certainly our attitude that’s been with us for the opening six rounds.”

The Dragons will again be without fullback Josh Dugan who missed last week’s victory over Manly with a hamstring strain, but Tyson Frizell looks set to take his place against the Cowboys after leaving the field with a rib injury midway through the win over the Sea Eagles.

He ran with the team on Friday and will play provided he feel no ill-effects. Jacob Host looms as the likely replacement should he pull up lame Saturday morning.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4598703/mcgregor-wary-of-depleted-cowboys/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL, NYC Team Updates: Round 7 v Cowboys
Fri 14th April, 07:30PM
A A

1492136360140.jpg;pv6fe4389b80754da5

2017 NRL - Grant Trouville :copyright: NRL Photos

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has confirmed his 19-man squad 24 hours out from the Dragons' Round 7 clash against the North Queensland Cowboys at WIN Stadium, Wollongong.

Young Dragons forwards Luciano Leilua and Blake Lawrie are the unfortunate ones to be cut ahead of Easter Saturday's game.

NRL Squad for Round 7 v North Queensland Cowboys:

1. Jason Nightingale
2. Nene Macdonald
3. Euan Aitken
4. Tim Lafai
5. Kurt Mann
6. Gareth Widdop (c)
7. Josh McCrone
8. Russell Packer
9. Cameron McInnes
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tyson Frizell
12. Joel Thompson
13. Jack de Belin
Interchange:
14. Tariq Sims
15. Leeson Ah Mau
16. Hame Sele
17. Taane Milne
19. Kalifa Faifai Loa
21. Jacob Host

NYC Squad for Round 7 v North Queensland Cowboys

1. Steven Marsters
2. Matheson Johns
3. Reuben Garrick
4. Zac Lomax
5. Jason Gillard
6. Tristan Sailor
7. Jackson Willis
14. TJ Uele
9. Reece Robson
10. Matt Sheppard
11. Trent Peoples
12. Jayden Morgan
13. Stuart Mason
Interchange:
15. Max Bailey
17. Joe Lovodua
18. Hayden Lomax
19. Jackson Ford
20. Tom Angel
21. Dylan Morris
22. Jack Cross

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/04/14/nrl_nyc_team_updates.af_news.html

getsmarty

Immortal
Host shadows injured Frizell

Mitch Jennings@@Mitch_Jenno

14 Apr 2017, 3:48 p.m.
r0_0_3913_2609_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

WAITING GAME: Tyson Frizell remains under an injury cloud heading into the Dragons clash with the Cowboys on Saturday. Picture: Adam McLean

DRAGONS coach Paul McGregor has no shortage of options despite two of his stars battling injury ahead of Saturday’s clash with the Cowboys.

Josh Dugan will miss his second straight game with a hamstring injury while Tyson Frizell is in doubt with a rib problem.

Jason Nightingale filled in for Dugan with aplomb last week while Tariq Sims’ mid-game shift to cover for Frizell opened the door for an impressive debut from young-gun Hame Sele.

Jacob Host played the opening five games of the season from the bench before playing 80 minutes in the Intrust Super Premiership last week. He appears the man most likely to shift to the right edge should Frizell be a late withdrawal.

“The biggest thing we’ve had for a number of weeks now is we’re comfortable with anyone coming into our system,” McGregor said.

“When Tyson went off last week we didn’t have an edge back-rower on our bench which Jacob is and we saw Tariq step up.

“That’s the beauty of having Tariq there, he’s a middle but he’s who’s played a lot of edge in his career and he went straight on that edge and did a really good job for his footy team.

“Hame’s more of a middle player and he knows what’s required in the middle because that’s where he’s played all his career.

“Jacob’s learning both because he’s been more of an edge player during his career and to do that you need to play more minutes.

“The boys know what’s needed and the effort that’s needed in each position they play. That’s showing in the way they’re playing.”

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4598761/host-shadows-injured-frizell/?cs=3713

Can understand the rationale of Milne being on standby for an injured back.

See no merit in KFL being in the 19

Does this mean one of Flo/Mann/McDonald is carrying an injury ?

ALSGI

Bench
When we win tonight, it'll all be about the depleted cowboys in the press, as it has been all week in the lead up.
It's a reall shame we couldn't have played them with JT, Coote and Scott.

possm

Coach
When we win tonight, it'll all be about the depleted cowboys in the press, as it has been all week in the lead up.
We need to put as many competition points in the bank as possible. We've seen in past years how a run of bad form can hurt a teams chances of making the top 4, so in my view, easy wins, lucky wins, close wins and any other wins are fine with me.

Let's hope we don't have a repeat of what happened in 2011 or 2015. Different teams, different circumstances but the same end result.

dragonssamy61

First Grade

Who cares as long as we win.
Hates hate mate.
But we support

Crush

Coach
I am going to put the mock of all mocks on probably but I have to get it off my chest.
I CANNOT SEE THE DRAGONS LOSING AGAINST THE COWBOYS
I would like to retract my previous comment. I think that the dragons will lose today. They will be flat. They will be thinking about Anzac day clash. They will go back to their old ways of going sideways before going fowards. They will forget how to tackle and will drop the ball and give away silly penalties. The ref will give every 50/50 call to cowboys and patton in the bunker will rule obstruction on any dragons tries.
WE HAVE NO CHANCE. COWBOYS BY 30.
There, I have reversed the mock;)