What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. North Queensland Cowboys @Townsville

maple_69

Bench
On the side going forward, I’m pretty skeptical of May as a centre but he’s a few games in and has been solid defensively. Tago is definitely the biggest issue in our defensive line and I’d absolutely be keen to see him take that 17 role for the time being. Geyer looks average and Garner is perfectly fine but doesn’t offer much, a middle class man’s Salmon.

Adding Tago and Sommerton to the bench would add that bit of impact while also covering the important positions. Give Alamoti the chance to see if he can stand up defensively

WestyLife

First Grade
Our defence gets fixed by making less tackles fix the drop ball penalty’s and 6 agains will go a long way towards that

hopefully management meets with the ref boss to work toward a solution

Even just less knock ons would go a long way but being the most penalised team will hurt come finals.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Our defence gets fixed by making less tackles fix the drop ball penalty’s and 6 agains will go a long way towards that

hopefully management meets with the ref boss to work toward a solution
Tago has been shirt grabbing in defence for almost a year now. At what point will he be held accountable?

Both the female refs are awful but in fairness the males aren't really much better.
This is it for me. I actually think she did well last night. The first half I thought was one of the better halves of reffed football we have seen.

I don’t think we can judge her on the second half; the refs are obviously coached to manage games; it happens in all the games, not just ours. You don’t get any calls when you are up by 20.

Goonji

Juniors
All the commentary in game and post game has been how we are just a defensive juggernaut and that our 2md half defence was incredible.

Just watching sunday ticket on fox and coops, braith and corey were all praising how special our defence was and is.

All doom and gloom by some on here though.

Yes theres a few minor issues there. New centre on left side. Right side has been reshuffled with nath out last few weeks.

Our defence isnt at its elite normal self but to suggest we drop blokes and rejig half the backline and move players to 2nd row is nuts.

I have no doubt ivan will have the boys working hard this week in defence in prep for souths who are normally very dangerous on there left with cody.

We will fix up the few little issues.
Couldn’t agree more.

Crashtest

Juniors
Then the 2nd half happened. Whilst I don;t think she was as bad as many are saying, it is hard to argue against the opinion(s) that she (and the bunker!) massaged one team and turned a bit of a blind eye to the other.

Why would a professionally run sporting organisation instruct refs and the bunker to maggage one team and turn a blind eye to another? What benefit would there be to do this? The refs and bunker make bad calls and human errors, and a ref may get influenced by a home crowd here and there, but that doesn’t mean there are instructions from NRL HQ to manage games and results. If they did this, clubs would be suing them for loss of revenue, gate takings, sponsorship dollars etc.

Why would a professionally run sporting organisation instruct refs and the bunker to maggage one team and turn a blind eye to another? What benefit would there be to do this? The refs and bunker make bad calls and human errors, and a ref may get influenced by a home crowd here and there, but that doesn’t mean there are instructions from NRL HQ to manage games and results. If they did this, clubs would be suing them for loss of revenue, gate takings, sponsorship dollars etc.
Keep it close and keep eyes on the telly…

Munky

Coach
The twenty minutes after half time has been game management central the past few years.

Usually two or so discretionary penalties as the losing team gets thirty five metres rucking it out from their line. Allows for a set start attacking forty metres out.

Seems to have replaced the penalty count square up that used to happen from the seventieth minute in most games.

Crashtest

Juniors
Keep it close and keep eyes on the telly…

The risk of doing this versus any actual benefit from it would be too great. The clubs would also not stand by and let them do it. Plus it would destroy the credibility of the league if instructions they gave to do this got leaked to the media.

There is no way a professionally run sporting competition, especially one worth what revenue the NRL is generating, would actually do this.

The risk of doing this versus any actual benefit from it would be too great. The clubs would also not stand by and let them do it. Plus it would destroy the credibility of the league if instructions they gave to do this got leaked to the media.

There is no way a professionally run sporting competition, especially one worth what revenue the NRL is generating, would actually do this.
To a certain extent I agree; how would this be communicated?

But geez, the eye test would tell you that it is in the refs’ minds. It’s not just Panthers games either; it’s all of them.

BossleyPanther

Juniors
No man can say anything about the ref because they will be called sexist. So time for a women assistant coach to speak in press conference.

Iamback

Coach
To a certain extent I agree; how would this be communicated?

But geez, the eye test would tell you that it is in the refs’ minds. It’s not just Panthers games either; it’s all of them.

It would like any conversation at half time.

How do we think we are going?

Damn I missed that call that the bunker over turned.

Maybe the captain of the losing team mentioned stuff, touchies possibly too.

Very easy to happen if even not intentional