What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings - XXV

Status
Not open for further replies.

forward pass

Coach
It's a rumoured signings thread what's wrong with that?

And only one of the posts even vaguely contemplated he possibility of him coming: the rest were more like eels trivia.

It is the off season after all. Even worse, it's the part of the off season without any decent cricket.

I'm not sure we will see decent cricket even when it starts. New look Aussie side v NZ. :sarcasm:

Gronk

Staff member
I remember as a young bloke Hadlee destroying us in the mid 80's.

+ under arm bowling incident by Trevor Chappell in 1981.

underarm-15otq75-1403091190.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Trent Boult goes OK but wouldn't hold a candle to Paddles, he could move the ball either way but Boult is pretty one dimensional bowler although he does have some serious pace.

Incorrect

Coach
I remember as a young bloke Hadlee destroying us in the mid 80's.

He took 9 wickets in the first innings in Brisbane in 85/86 (he took the catch for the 10th wicket) and took another 6 wickets in the 2nd innings... was an absolute clinic. He was swing bowling personified in that period...

Trent Boult goes OK but wouldn't hold a candle to Paddles, he could move the ball either way but Boult is pretty one dimensional bowler although he does have some serious pace.

I think you are confusing Boult's pace with the other bloke (Adam Milne). Boult is not particularly quick (though they did play silly buggers with the speed guns in the WC), quick enough, and swings it both ways. Milne is genuinely quick.

lingard

Coach
A halfback was used to organise the forwards and then passed the ball to the 5/8 which started the backline movement where the inside centre would be the closest player to him. So going by historical definitions of these positions do we really have a halfback and five-eighth?

Quite true - in theory - and when the play was mostly down one side of the field, allowing room for the whole set of backs (half, five-eight, inside centre, outside centre, wing) to line up. But at other times centres often played either side of the ruck; the half and five-eight often played either side of the ruck; and the half and five-eight often interchanged with each other, so you'd have the five-eight as first receiver passing to the half as second receiver (not much has changed). In fact, the only thing that has really changed is that halves and five-eights now spend more time on opposite sides of the ruck than they used to.

lingard

Coach
A halfback was used to organise the forwards and then passed the ball to the 5/8 which started the backline movement where the inside centre would be the closest player to him. So going by historical definitions of these positions do we really have a halfback and five-eighth?

The game was far less structured and rigid in yesteryear. Halves and five-eights often interchanged and swapped roles, and the backline scenario you describe above might only occur once or twice per game. It really doesn't matter, though. If people want to think that the 'split-halves' model is a brand new idea, that's fine. It just shows a bit of ignorance about the history of the game. I still have fond memories of Peter Sterling operating down the blind-side, while Brett Kenny weaved his magic on the other side of the field - just as I have fond memories of Ben Hunt (half-back) combining with Milford (five-eight) this year. The more things change, the more they stay the same.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I think you are confusing Boult's pace with the other bloke (Adam Milne). Boult is not particularly quick (though they did play silly buggers with the speed guns in the WC), quick enough, and swings it both ways. Milne is genuinely quick.

No confusion on my behalf. Have a look at Boult's action, his stock ball is the inswinger, hard to see him ever moving the ball the other way unless its off the seam. Boult is up around 145ks generally so thats a bit of heat.

Milne can be erratic at times.

hindy111

Post Whore
True story this was walking around today for 5 mins looking for my hammer.Asked some lady and she said -Is this a joke.I said no i cant find it.She said your holding it.... Gee we had a good laugh....

AS far as breaking bad goes- TV rots your brains avenger.Get a hobby or listen to the radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts