What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured/Confirmed Signings 2009/2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

strider

Post Whore
if its buderus then i can't see how/why it would divide the forum - he'd be f'n great! - and I'll take anyone outside and deal with them if they say otherwise! :lol:

fish eel

Immortal
if its buderus then i can't see how/why it would divide the forum - he'd be f'n great! - and I'll take anyone outside and deal with them if they say otherwise! :lol:

yeah, lets bitch about our dummy halves and then bitch at the prospect of getting a new one in :sarcasm:

woddy

Juniors

if its Bedsy or Orford I can't see a big divide .......I reckon that talk is bollocks

Stagger eel

Staff member
I don't understand how we weren't able to keep Kingston at the minimum wage but are potentially able to sign another mystery player without doing a swap.

see below..

I think the key hinges on being able to release an existing player currently on the books.

exactly, you also need to consider that we also have a little bit left under the cap thanks to the departure of Weller Hauraki

MrT

Juniors
Buderus would kick start our season. he would give us great structure around the rucks. He knows what options to take. it would take a lot of pressure off the halves aswell. Bring it on. Inu to Warriors and Buderus to Parra would be an absolute masterstroke

hindy111

Post Whore
aslong as he is injury free...From what ive heard he isnt...
Hang on who said it was bedsy anyhows????

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why do we need a backrower?

Exactly, we don't.

Hindmarsh, Smith, Mateo, Shackleton, Horo, Oake. Even when Mateo leaves next year we'll still have 5 back rowers to fit into 4 back row slots. At this stage Oake won't be a regular until either Hindy retires or somebody gets a long-term injury.

And while Oake is no world-beater, he's the kind of player every club needs in this age of tight salary caps. See 'Lowrie, Todd'.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
our backs have not been able to link with our forwards and vice versa

Wow, such an archaic concept.

Want to know a secret? There's no such thing as backs and forwards anymore.

In defence there's a fullback (a position which doesn't actually exist in attack) and 12 line defenders, each denoted by their position relative to the the sidelines.

In attack there's a dummy-half, two or more floating playmakers with varying degrees of responsibility, and everybody else.

Additionally, all clubs still field a handful (usually 2 starting and 2 interchange) of big players whose job in attack is to take centrefield hit-ups against a set defensive line. In defence these same guys are generally a liability against any ball-carriers other than their counterparts on the other team. These players are the only ones that can technically be considered 'forwards' in the classic sense (and we still call them 'front-rowers').

The other 11 players are essentially 'backs'. As for the links between these 'forwards' and 'backs' (or rather, between 'front rowers' and 'everyone else'), the only way this is different to the links in play between 'backs' and 'backs' is that front rowers are more likely to start and finish their involvement in attacking play via a play-the-ball.

I agree we have a problem in the halves (shorthand for floating playmakers, which in our team includes fullback Jarryd Hayne) but it's got nothing to do with linking 'forwards' and 'backs'.

The Colonel

Immortal
Exactly, we don't.

Hindmarsh, Smith, Mateo, Shackleton, Horo, Oakes. Even when Mateo leaves next year we'll still have 5 back rowers to fit into 4 back row slots. At this stage Oakes won't be a regular until either Hindy retires or somebody gets a long-term injury.

And while Oakes is no world-beater, he's the kind of player every club needs in this age of tight salary caps. See 'Lowrie, Todd'.

When you consider the likes of O'Hanlon and Loko who are both likely to play in the backrow in the next twelve to eighteen months we are reasonably well off however I would like to see a wide running "back" that can ball play as well. Who that would be is open to debate.

Ideally we need some experience to help our inexperienced playmakers.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
When you consider the likes of O'Hanlon and Loko who are both likely to play in the backrow in the next twelve to eighteen months we are reasonably well off however I would like to see a wide running "back" that can ball play as well. Who that would be is open to debate.

I agree, especially with Mateo leaving.

I think Horo has already shown he can do the job - he might never have the ball-playing ability of Mateo (in fact he almost certainly won't given how good Mateo is) but he already has more aggression than Mateo and he works harder.

And I remember watching his Dad run around when I was just a boy and that sh*t warms my heart.

Ideally we need some experience to help our inexperienced playmakers.

Agree totally. I posted in the Buderus thread that I'd backload most of his contract for next year just to have him play this year. That's how much I'd love him at the club.

The only thing better than an experienced dummy-half for us right now would be an experienced primary playmaker ('halfback' to use the colloquial term ;-)).

Gronk

Staff member
Sad that a salary cap anomaly has forced us to pay mega bucks for a hooker when we could have had Kinga for virtually nix.

Hope it pans out for us. Beddsy also brings with him a deft short kicking game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts