What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Kilkenny

Coach
How many of those guys will leave for him? Same situation as the Dogs. Teams can sign players and make the room later

From that list you posted.

Burgess, Host, Tass ( As Wighton will be a centre) will all go. The squad will be very top heavy an lack depth

Thats pure speculation on your part Franklin.

We have no idea about how the Bunnies will manage the incoming of Jack Weighton but it doesn’t alter the original point I was making and that is NRL need to come out and make the salary cap and players salaries transparent and up front. It is a 17 team competition but you could be forgiven for thinking there are only four of five teams that really matter. The Roosters v Dragons game yesterday was a cracker but it masked the fact there is a clear and obvious difference in the teams rosters yet Both are paying out 90% of there cap, no difference with the second game Storm v Warriors are we comfortable the salary cap is working when you look at the market values of the 17 players each side put out.

Call me a dinosaur but either publish player salaries or bring in a draft, perhaps then we May actually see a more level playing field.

Chins get the wins

First Grade

We have no idea about how the Bunnies will manage the incoming of Jack Weighton but it doesn’t alter the original point I was making and that is NRL need to come out and make the salary cap and players salaries transparent and up front. It is a 17 team competition but you could be forgiven for thinking there are only four of five teams that really matter. The Roosters v Dragons game yesterday was a cracker but it masked the fact there is a clear and obvious difference in the teams rosters yet Both are paying out 90% of there cap, no difference with the second game Storm v Warriors are we comfortable the salary cap is working when you look at the market values of the 17 players each side put out.

Call me a dinosaur but either publish player salaries or bring in a draft, perhaps then we May actually see a more level playing field.
A massive f**k no to a draft. Any system that encourages teams to tank is awful.

I like an idea that each club pays players a maximum for example

The club chooses 1 player to be paid $1million. Than 4 players on $750k, 5 on $500k, 10 on $350k, 10 on min wage. Up to 5 players on third party. This should allow for loyalty and everything is transparent.

The current System is flawed.

The above structure is just an example in dollar amounts.

Kilkenny

Coach
A massive f**k no to a draft. Any system that encourages teams to tank is awful.
It really doesn’t work that way at all. Works amazingly well in the AFL. I’m aware it’s not gonna happen but it should, you want to truly even out player talent then a draft is a no brainer. Even allowing for our junior nursery , we would actually, potentially, benefit from a draft. Only have to look at the likes of Geelong Cats in the AFL who have been a powerhouse for a long time with their massive junior base.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
How many of those guys will leave for him? Same situation as the Dogs. Teams can sign players and make the room later

From that list you posted.

Burgess, Host, Tass ( As Wighton will be a centre) will all go. The squad will be very top heavy an lack depth

Exactly the same formula how Des ran Manly for the last few years. Then if injuries strike, they are attempting to row against the tide.....going no-where.

Kilkenny

Coach
We got nothing out of developing and losing Matt Burton who you adore in a non sexual way. Api, Viliame and a dozen others with no compensation, young guns such as Katoa now with the Dolphins. We win the premiership from which our first draft pick may be 17, but with the demand on our young guns and off contract stars we lose them but in the trade process we pick up draft picks, much higher up the food chain. Under the present system we get nothing, literally nothing. Just one example the Tigers with 5he number 1 draft pack take Api we trade him for their number 3 and number 5 picks In the draft given they were wooden spooners. It goes in and on. We trade another marquee such as Viliame and in the process pick some of there higher placed draft picks. We got nothing from losing either. A draft offers real compensation and levelling out of the player market. Doesnt mean the Bunnies can’t acquire Jack Weighton just means they may have to forfeit there three or four highest draft picks.

age.s

First Grade
What is publishing salaries supposed to do? The clubs already have to report salaries to the NRL, so its not going to increase transparency for the area that enforces the rules. If its just for the punditry/media, well the media in particular don't need any more ammunition to write bullshit and frankly I think you need a better argument than just a personal interest to justify abusing the privacy of players in such a manner.

Kilkenny

Coach
What is publishing salaries supposed to do? The clubs already have to report salaries to the NRL, so its not going to increase transparency for the area that enforces the rules. If its just for the punditry/media, well the media in particular don't need any more ammunition to write bullshit and frankly I think you need a better argument than just a personal interest to justify abusing the privacy of players in such a manner.
We know what our Prime Minister earns our heads of government departments, they are all available publicly, why should footy players be so precious. Privacy, really. Footy stars are such a protected species we need to protect the fact they may be earning a million dollars. Abusing their privacy go figure that one. It is about transparency around the salary cap which is a joke, why shouldn’t the fans know, particularly those who despite finishing last can’t attract high profile players who almost always end up signing with high profile clubs. Maybe it’s just me, but if on a $900,000 deal and it is public knowledge so what,is it that big a deal. Mate, I know brickies labourers busting there balls for $30 bucks an hour maybe we need to keep that a secret for there mental health.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
We got nothing out of developing and losing Matt Burton who you adore in a non sexual way. Api, Viliame and a dozen others with no compensation, young guns such as Katoa now with the Dolphins. We win the premiership from which our first draft pick may be 17, but with the demand on our young guns and off contract stars we lose them but in the trade process we pick up draft picks, much higher up the food chain. Under the present system we get nothing, literally nothing. Just one example the Tigers with 5he number 1 draft pack take Api we trade him for their number 3 and number 5 picks In the draft given they were wooden spooners. It goes in and on. We trade another marquee such as Viliame and in the process pick some of there higher placed draft picks. We got nothing from losing either. A draft offers real compensation and levelling out of the player market. Doesnt mean the Bunnies can’t acquire Jack Weighton just means they may have to forfeit there three or four highest draft picks.
I've never once said it's non sexual.....

Iamback

Coach

It literally happens every year. Dogs this year had to move guys to fit in everyone.

Doesn't work with TPA's.

Wighton for example has several properties - Sydney is the place to go if you can afford to invest here.

Suddenly that leaves 9 sides, Most wouldn't be interested. Throw in mates at Souths and he will go for under what Canberra, Dolphins etc can pay.

Lets say $800k, That is published what does it achieve? I have no issue with salaries reported but it won't affect where players go

Kilkenny

Coach
Interesting, didn’t watch NRL 360 tonight but watched a snippet on foxsports and Paul Kent all over the Jack Weighton to the Bunnies. Pretty much just saying out loud what every other fan of the game is thinking. It’s a joke. The salary cap is a farce.

Iamback

Coach

It happens overseas but that is likely more a vanity thing.

The thing there is so much outside a club salary for why a player signs with a club

age.s

First Grade
We know what our Prime Minister earns our heads of government departments, they are all available publicly, why should footy players be so precious. Privacy, really. Footy stars are such a protected species we need to protect the fact they may be earning a million dollars. Abusing their privacy go figure that one. It is about transparency around the salary cap which is a joke, why shouldn’t the fans know, particularly those who despite finishing last can’t attract high profile players who almost always end up signing with high profile clubs. Maybe it’s just me, but if on a $900,000 deal and it is public knowledge so what,is it that big a deal. Mate, I know brickies labourers busting there balls for $30 bucks an hour maybe we need to keep that a secret for there mental health.
You didn't address my point? Why? They already have to report to the enforcement apparatus. What would it achieve other than making you feel better?

Kilkenny

Coach
It literally happens every year. Dogs this year had to move guys to fit in everyone.

Doesn't work with TPA's.

Wighton for example has several properties - Sydney is the place to go if you can afford to invest here.

Suddenly that leaves 9 sides, Most wouldn't be interested. Throw in mates at Souths and he will go for under what Canberra, Dolphins etc can pay.

Lets say $800k, That is published what does it achieve? I have no issue with salaries reported but it won't affect where players go
The third parties are not in the equation. Forget the third parties.

You’re defending the indefendable.

You’re talking in riddles. Properties, TPA’s it all bullshit mate. You’ve thrown in the Bulldogs well they haven't moved anyone on of any consequence other than Corey Allen who went to the Roosters so go figure that one out.

Honestly you have lost the plot mate. It’s all rather simple but you feel obliged to make it somewhat complicated.

Let me simplify things, the Bunnies with their roster, which is comparable to ours, can’t afford Jack Weighton. Sprinkle some magic dust and it’s all good, all the while we are being told we are struggling to retain Edwards and or Laui and May lose both. No big signings, no signings at all basically, the salary cap sorry, suck it up can’t keep another two junior talents it’s the salary cap working the way it is supposed to. I’m over it. At least when Gould was in charge we new where we stood and if we wanted to keep a player well he got the deal done. He wasn’t perfect, but this circus we find ourselves in now is taking us backwards not forwards.

Iamback

Coach
The third parties are not in the equation. Forget the third parties.

You’re defending the indefendable.

You’re talking in riddles. Properties, TPA’s it all bullshit mate. You’ve thrown in the Bulldogs well they haven't moved anyone on of any consequence other than Corey Allen who went to the Roosters so go figure that one out.

Honestly you have lost the plot mate. It’s all rather simple but you feel obliged to make it somewhat complicated.

Let me simplify things, the Bunnies with their roster, which is comparable to ours, can’t afford Jack Weighton. Sprinkle some magic dust and it’s all good, all the while we are being told we are struggling to retain Edwards and or Laui and May lose both. No big signings, no signings at all basically, the salary cap sorry, suck it up can’t keep another two junior talents it’s the salary cap working the way it is supposed to. I’m over it. At least when Gould was in charge we new where we stood and if we wanted to keep a player well he got the deal done. He wasn’t perfect, but this circus we find ourselves in now is taking us backwards not forwards.

Except as I pointed out guys like Burgess will leave hence creating space for Wighton.

I have been critical of our recruitment but we are re-signing guys... I just don't agree with the priority signings.

Api and Wighton very are on comparable contracts.

Souths will release guys to fit him in.

We chose to have Api go, I would of kept him the flow on is to follow that same path.

Leota
To'o
Yeo
Martin

Have all been signed. All would be on $600k to start with so keep Api ( or bring in another star player ) 2 of the 4 go.

GowersDallyM

Juniors
Except as I pointed out guys like Burgess will leave hence creating space for Wighton.

I have been critical of our recruitment but we are re-signing guys... I just don't agree with the priority signings.

Api and Wighton very are on comparable contracts.

Souths will release guys to fit him in.

We chose to have Api go, I would of kept him the flow on is to follow that same path.

Leota
To'o
Yeo
Martin

Have all been signed. All would be on $600k to start with so keep Api ( or bring in another star player ) 2 of the 4 go.
I would've let Martin go...second rowers are a dime a dozen these days especially handy ones.

Glad Critter is going as he Is just a centre that can be replaced at some stage by someone capable. Hooker on the other hand was a must keep position same with Edwards at fullback mainly becuase we use our back 3 the most in the leauge.

Now that Martin has been kept I think the next move honestly would be to let Luai go and use the free money to attract a gun hooker. Alot of hookers would love to play in the panthers setup so I'm sure they'd do what Wighton has done and take 300k less to come here 😁

WestyLife

First Grade
Interesting, didn’t watch NRL 360 tonight but watched a snippet on foxsports and Paul Kent all over the Jack Weighton to the Bunnies. Pretty much just saying out loud what every other fan of the game is thinking. It’s a joke. The salary cap is a farce.

Kent is cheerleading for his mate and was predicted he'dgo off. This isn't a salary cap issue.