What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

Bob

Juniors

PENRITH PRODUCTION LINE

Penrith’s coaching production line will continue with their highly rated assistant Ben Gardiner expected to land the Samoan head coaching job.

Samoa have been on the look-out for a coach after long-term mentor Matt Parish stood-down following a finals appearance at last year’s World Cup.

Gardiner has now emerged as the front-runner to lead Samoa at the end of season tri-nations against New Zealand and Australia. Penrith are aware that Samoa is circling and it is understood they are supportive of any potential move.

Gardiner is largely considered as one of the next head coaches in-waiting in the NRL as he undergoes an extensive apprenticeship. He was recruited by Ivan Cleary to join his coaching staff this year after the Panthers lost Cameron Ciraldo and Andrew Webster to head coaching positions.

Media-link

Gardiner has had international experience before, having most recently been Michael Maguire’s assistant coach at the Kiwis. He also worked alongside Maguire at the Tigers.

He has also coached at South Sydney, Cronulla, North Sydney, NSW under-20s plus the Maori All-Stars.

Working in Gardiner’s favour is the fact that most of Samoa’s key players are Penrith stars. The likes of Jarome Luai, Brian To’o, Stephen Crichton, Taylan May and Spencer Leniu will be the cornerstone of the Samoan side ahead of the next World Cup in 2026.

Luai is expected to be ruled out of the end of season tournament as he needs surgery to repair his damaged shoulder.

PANTHERS LOCK-UP LOCAL JUNIOR

Penrith’s impressive nursery continues to build with the premiers locking in emerging prop Lindsay Smith on a long-term deal.

Smith, who still had 12 months left on his contract, is expected to re-sign for a further two seasons, keeping him at the club until at least the end of 2026.

He is another local product having come through the ranks at St Marys.

The 23-year-old has established himself as a mainstay in the Penrith squad this year playing in 21 matches – having played just four since making his NRL debut in 2021.

He is expected to have a bigger role with the team next season when Spencer Leinu leaves for the Roosters.

Blade23

Juniors
Cheers mate. Appreciate the info.

Quick question - is there a view within the club that Jack Cole is a utility/centre similar to how we brought on Burton - or that he's a five-eight? Just curious that Laurie and Schneider are now on the roster which I assume means the NSW Cup spine will be 1. Iongi, 6. Laurie, 7. Schneider, 9. Sommerton.

I'm curious where Cole fights now - and whether a good off season could have him competing for that #14 on the bench in NRL as the utility.

The club views him as a utility to get a toehold in FG. Jack of all trades so to speak.

Bred not Bought

Juniors
Huth is a 13 only imo

I don't disagree. He is better when others start the set.
He is more of an option off the bench when we are short. That is why I think Henry gets the nod.

I can't see Blacker off the bench. He has been here 3 seasons now for 1 game. 1 game in an understrength side.
Maybe he could come on after 25 -30 minutes when Fish and Leota have taken the sting out and do a cameo. I just don't see it though. He has no agro.

I could see Hosking in middle later.

Last edited:

Kilkenny

Coach
The thing in Eddie Blackers favour is he is still only 24 years old come December.

Just not sure he has the motor, plenty of other attributes but just not able to deliver enough minutes at NRL intensity.

Kilkenny

Coach
Given we still have to come to terms with the losses of Crichton and Lenui at least we have made some astute signings and resignings.

I‘m not sure about Alamoti but optimistic he will improve and at the very least put pressure on Tago and May if they are the two front runners for our starting centre spots.

Seems odd, for a club under Gus trying to rebuild a culture at the club, at the same time discarding juniors who were supposed to be highly promising. Obviously Averillo and a couple of others fall into the same category.

Hopefully there loss is our gain.

Kilkenny

Coach
Will he likely play a lot of first grade next year?
Given how our roster is looking with only a few spots remaining I can’t see Jack Cole getting too many opportunities in 2024. He seems a little down the pecking order. Granted things can change with unforseen injury, just not quite sure where he fits in.

Given how our roster is looking with only a few spots remaining I can’t see Jack Cole getting too many opportunities in 2024. He seems a little down the pecking order. Granted things can change with unforseen injury, just not quite sure where he fits in.
Which is wrong

Kilkenny

Coach
Which is wrong
I’m not being disrespectful to Jack Cole but where does he slot in Jane? Whose spot in the 17 does he take, assuming his form in NSW Cup worthy of consideration for a top 17 spot.

This years NSW Cup team seriously underachieved, Jack was a part of that team, he wasn’t outstanding this season, certainly didn't show the sort of form that suggests regular selection in our top 17 is looking likely in the near future.

Hes still young and I’m sure will continue to develop, but still some way off our top 17.