What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured & Confirmed Signings - Part 5

GowersDallyM

Juniors
I don’t think you are giving Luai anywhere near enough credit.

He’ll leave a huge hole which will be hard to fill.
Simply can't spend the money he wants on him. He is a 700k year player in this team period. Cleary is worth the money spent as is Yeo, Fish and Edwards...you can't have Luai anywhere near them on price

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Simply can't spend the money he wants on him. He is a 700k year player in this team period. Cleary is worth the money spent as is Yeo, Fish and Edwards...you can't have Luai anywhere near them on price
He is every bit a 850k player.

As I said, you’re massively playing down what he does for the team. He’s the best defensive 6 in the comp.

maple_69

Bench
I reckon the really interesting part of this whole Luai thing is how it could make Penrith significantly better. Sure we built this juggernaut with Luai as the 5/8 and I still think he could be that special sauce, but our stype has also changed drastically in the last 5 years. Slotting a boom 5/8 into this side now, to play the role we need from them now, could prove to be far more effective than Luai playing a role in a team as a low event/shutdown half who really should be a dominant half.

MugaB

Coach
Not saying that. He's a very good defender but even a weak defensive 5/8 will do ok here
I disagree, every other club suffers from poor defensive halves, its basically every teams weak spots, we haven't had that problem for the past 5 seasons, fair enough maloney was there, but he did enough not to let attackers slip thru, slowed them down long enough for our middles to cover, all other clubs are so poor at this area of the game, its one of the major reason we have dominated for this long, Im not saying daine lauire is a poor defender, but he isn't as good or as hungry as Luai is, having two experienced halves who are excellent at defense are better than just having one, so i get the whole we want to keep him angle, but for Jeromes sake i would prefer him to join WT and run the team, not just for cash he gets for it, but coz i know he can do it, and the whole saying of "high tide raises all ships", it will make the whole game better for it, how good would it to see a rivalry with nate, the closest thing we have is mitch moses or shaun johnson (which i feel he still has a fanboy/mancrush on) and they aren't up to his current form, Romey has been in his shadow too long, we can do without him and we'll be better for it

Chins get the wins

First Grade
I disagree, every other club suffers from poor defensive halves, its basically every teams weak spots, we haven't had that problem for the past 5 seasons, fair enough maloney was there, but he did enough not to let attackers slip thru, slowed them down long enough for our middles to cover, all other clubs are so poor at this area of the game, its one of the major reason we have dominated for this long, Im not saying daine lauire is a poor defender, but he isn't as good or as hungry as Luai is, having two experienced halves who are excellent at defense are better than just having one, so i get the whole we want to keep him angle, but for Jeromes sake i would prefer him to join WT and run the team, not just for cash he gets for it, but coz i know he can do it, and the whole saying of "high tide raises all ships", it will make the whole game better for it, how good would it to see a rivalry with nate, the closest thing we have is mitch moses or shaun johnson (which i feel he still has a fanboy/mancrush on) and they aren't up to his current form, Romey has been in his shadow too long, we can do without him and we'll be better for it
Jimmy was one of the worst defenders in NRL history. Anyone currently playing Flegg through to NRL is better

MugaB

Coach
Jimmy was one of the worst defenders in NRL history. Anyone currently playing Flegg through to NRL is better
Slow em down, was one of this mottos, thats all you gotta do these days, ive seen him do plenty of ragdoll tackles and him flying off them, enough that they ain't punching thru the line, in the end thats all that matters,... it will be interesting to see his influence on the Cowboys the coming season, ive seen nate talk about him a lot in podcasts, its all about the end objective with him not about the one on one tackles, its what made jimmy successful

Last edited:

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Slow em down, was one of this mottos, thats all you gotta do these days, ive seen him do plenty of ragdoll tackles and him flying off them, enough that they ain't punching thru the line, in the end thats all that matters,... it will be interesting to see his influence on the Cowboys the coming season, ive seen nate talk about him a lot in podcasts, its all about the end objective with him not about the one on one tackles, its what made jimmy successful
God I hate this myth. Jimmy had attacking talents (before he was washed up and Gus signed him here) but he was less than a speed bump in defence

murraymob

Coach
Latest rumour is luia will announce tigers next week .Sad to see him go but well done to the club for having a big crack to keep him.But reality is there is a cap and to stay competitive we need to not toast it

Whino

Bench
Miksrl is a modern version of the Mole. Throws darts hoping for a bullseye.
Had Spencer Leniu and Tyrone May as done deals to the Dogs earlier this year.

I believe Luai is gone but everyone is guessing his destination.