What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker's Wild

Coach
2016 is a write off if Roberts is still in the 7.

People better hope these young players that we have invested in start improving because guys like korbin, Clydesdale and sione are looking pretty ordinary or going backwards.

At least gagai looks class at fullback, but with no BJ he's probably back to being a 600k centre next year, with a 450k centre next to him and a 500k winger to boot.

How is Korbin ordinary or going backwards exactly?

slotmachine

First Grade
How is Korbin ordinary or going backwards exactly?

Made about 60m against the shitty manly pack and dropped to the bench for old man faalogo. Cracked 100m maybe twice this year.

Probably a touch harsh as he's not really suited to prop, will end up at lock I think.

perverse

Referee
So it looks like we're going to lose Jez as well. So that's Leilua, Scott, Smith and Gidley on the way out the door next year... and apparently we have no cap space. Of course, it wouldn't matter if we did have cap space, because there's no-one great on the market left. A few astute buys, but no-one to replace what we're losing. Legendary cap management.

Gidley - $400k
Scott - $500k+
Leilua - not sure, but at least $300k
Smith - $300k+

So at a conservative guesstimation, I would say we've freed up $1.5m in the cap. Surely the re-signings and upgrades couldn't have swallowed all of that. That would be some of the grossest club mismanagement ever, in any sport.

Apparently Sandow has bargained himself into a corner with the Eels and won't be there next year (according to the DT anyway). We could do worse, to be honest. Obviously not on $500k+ money... but chuck Jez's money at him maybe?

Last edited:
We can only hope the media have got it very wrong with the cap estimates and we are all being major pessimists and Stone has a plan to kick underperformers out. Hard to see it but what else can we do?

perverse

Referee
Well, the one thing we can do is stop giving the club money. We need a mass exodus of memberships and income to the club - starting immediately. That's the only way the NRL will bother to care about what's going on... and thus the only way we will see change affected.

Crowds need to drop. Sales need to stop. We can't reward the ineptitude.

Noname36

First Grade
Crowds need to drop. Sales need to stop. We can't reward the ineptitude.

I say this will happen anyway. We took a massive membership dive this year after how poorly we went last year and I can only see it continuing to fall now.

perverse

Referee
I say this will happen anyway. We took a massive membership dive this year after how poorly we went last year and I can only see it continuing to fall now.

Good, it's what we deserve. I hope they get the message, but I daresay what we'll get instead is another slow, painful 5 to 10-year death... followed by another ownership shakeup and another alleged "cleanout and rebuilding phase". Yeah, I'm looking forward to it.

The answer may lie halfway down the M1. Bring in the Central Coast. It has always been in the background. it could save us. Would take some pride swallowing though.

slotmachine

First Grade
So it looks like we're going to lose Jez as well. So that's Leilua, Scott, Smith and Gidley on the way out the door next year... and apparently we have no cap space. Of course, it wouldn't matter if we did have cap space, because there's no-one great on the market left. A few astute buys, but no-one to replace what we're losing. Legendary cap management.

Gidley - $400k
Scott - $500k+
Leilua - not sure, but at least $300k
Smith - $300k+

So at a conservative guesstimation, I would say we've freed up $1.5m in the cap. Surely the re-signings and upgrades couldn't have swallowed all of that. That would be some of the grossest club mismanagement ever, in any sport.

Apparently Sandow has bargained himself into a corner with the Eels and won't be there next year (according to the DT anyway). We could do worse, to be honest. Obviously not on $500k+ money... but chuck Jez's money at him maybe?

In terms of upgrades, you could say;

Gagai - 275k
Sione - 300k
Chanel - 100k
Pat - 75k
Mamo - 200k
Snowden - 100k
Korbin - 100k

Total - $1.05m

Which would line up with the club having no money left over before BJ (400k) left.

I think after BJ's money has freed up will see Bird and a couple of NSW Cup level forwards sign on for 2016.

perverse

Referee
That's all speculation, slot. How much do you think we're paying Mamo? It's easily to see why we're geting screwed by every other club if we're paying him a cent more than $200-250k. The kid isn't even a first grade player yet, and it's not proven that he ever will be.

I agree though, it looks like we've shed a bunch of forwards (which we desperately needed more of) in order to re-sign and upgrade a bunch of backs. Newcastle Knights cap management 101. We're in the process of screwing ourselves for the next 5 odd years, and it's remarkable that we can see it as clear as day, yet the club is just stumbling around in apparent ignorance.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
Perhaps my critisim of Sims was a touch harsh.
Here are the per game averages of the middle forwards (excluding smith)

Snowden Sims Houston Stockwell Fa'alogo Tapine Vai Vai
Games 9 7 5 8 9 4 1
Minutes 53 45 42 37 33 25 17
Hitups 14.6 11.6 9.0 8.4 7.3 6.0 6.0
Metres 112 91 67 73 61 53 53
Metres per run 7.7 7.8 7.4 8.7 8.3 8.8 8.8
Tackle Breaks 2.0 1.4 1.0 1.4 1.3 1.0 0.0
Tackles 34.6 26.7 33.2 26.4 22.9 16.5 13.0
Missed Tackles 2.7 2.8 2.2 1.3 1.5 4.0 0.0
Offloads 1.7 1.5 0.0 1.0 1.0 0.0 0.0
Errors 1.3 1.7 0.0 1.5 1.5 0.0 0.0
Penalties 1.0 1.4 2.5 1.0 1.3 0.0 0.0

Interesting reading.
Backs up the assessment that Houston offers little impact and Tapine bends the line. Stockwell has handy numbers IMO, but no one apart from Snowden is really offering much at all.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
That's all speculation, slot. How much do you think we're paying Mamo? It's easily to see why we're geting screwed by every other club if we're paying him a cent more than $200-250k. The kid isn't even a first grade player yet, and it's not proven that he ever will be.

Plenty of interest from Raiders and others for Mamo apparently.
So I'd say he went from his part time NYC deal ($50k tops, seeing as the limit for the whole NYC squad is $250k) to $250k.

And why would a junior ever take a home town discount when the executives hand out upgrades like they're going out of fashion.

ryana87

Juniors
Don't worry guys, just read on mighty Newcastle knights Facebook page that a guy who is a brother of a girl in the bridal party for grab birds sister that Greg bird is a sure thing for newcastle

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts