What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

perverse

Referee
Having watched him play this year, Bird is an absolute dud of a signing for the price he will command. If that's the big ace-in-the-hole that the Knights are sitting on, then we're even more f**ked than I thought.

slotmachine

First Grade
If Myles got 500k from Manly Bird will be 600k+ I reckon, and he seriously looks done. Maybe it's just the court case, but he'll be 32 next year

perverse

Referee
Signing an over-the-hill past-local for over $500k a year is exactly our MO. Come to think about it, I'd say Bird coming here is a given. Wouldn't surprise me if the contract is 3 or 4 years, either. Will be paraded as the marquee signing to fix our problems, when in reality he'll be a complete dud in 12 months time at the rate he's going.

Ugh, I want to throw up. I just don't see why anyone should keep watching this mess try to football.

Burns

First Grade
We could look at the Super League? Must be some good up and coming English forwards looking for a break into the NRL.

Rod

Bench
I still think Bird is a very good player. He had a great year last year. But he's also an idiot with a shocking judicary record. We could do worse but its hard to imagine him wanting peanuts.

Whats Doing

Bench
Bird has had an ordinary this year and is on $500k with the Titans.

I must admit I am getting tired of our only approaches being to players who have a Newcastle connection. It is very narrow minded and will ensure the knights are only in the comp to just make up the numbers.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
A massive pass on Bird. From what I have seen from him this year, he's been very ordinary. Not only is he offering little, but he also hogs the ball when his team is on the attack and breaks their momentum. I'd much rather look the the English Super League.

macavity

Referee
We are the ugly girl at the dance. No confidence to talk to the good looking guys, and the only blokes who will talk to us are either shithouse, over the hill, or have been there already.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
We are the ugly girl at the dance. No confidence to talk to the good looking guys, and the only blokes who will talk to us are either shithouse, over the hill, or have been there already.

This is an awesome post!

Seriously though its a big NO from me on Greg Bird. The guy is a liability on and off the field. He's a good origin type of player but his club form has been pretty uninspiring for years now. Not to mention he's just a dickhead and I don't really feel like he would be a good influence on our team. No thanks.

Alex28

Coach
It's an even bigger "we can't afford to knock back players of his calibre even if he is a dickhead" from me. He has actually been pretty good for the Titans this year - look how they have gone without him this year...

kiwipete

Juniors
In terms of upgrades, you could say;

Gagai - 275k
Sione - 300k
Chanel - 100k
Pat - 75k
Mamo - 200k
Snowden - 100k
Korbin - 100k

Total - $1.05m

Which would line up with the club having no money left over before BJ (400k) left.

I think after BJ's money has freed up will see Bird and a couple of NSW Cup level forwards sign on for 2016.

I mentioned a few days ago that Sam Anderson at the Panthers is out of his contract at the end of the year. He is topping all stats in NSW Cup and has spent 4 years playing Prop in cup for 6 NRL starts. He's never let the Panthers down when called up but is behind a pretty strong roster there and would love to come home to prove he has what it takes. Korbin is not the answer at prop. Better suited running wider in the second row. Andersons manager is talking to other clubs looking for a start in the NRL before June 30th. I reckon he would bring some drive and enthusiasm to our aging, boring forward rotation.IMO. And he'd be cheap 120k tops.

Yosh

Coach
I mentioned a few days ago that Sam Anderson at the Panthers is out of his contract at the end of the year. He is topping all stats in NSW Cup and has spent 4 years playing Prop in cup for 6 NRL starts. He's never let the Panthers down when called up but is behind a pretty strong roster there and would love to come home to prove he has what it takes. Korbin is not the answer at prop. Better suited running wider in the second row. Andersons manager is talking to other clubs looking for a start in the NRL before June 30th. I reckon he would bring some drive and enthusiasm to our aging, boring forward rotation.IMO. And he'd be cheap 120k tops.

If what you've said is all true, I'm sold.

Noname36

First Grade
Penrith don't exactly have a stellar prop rotation. If Anderson was that good you'd think he'd be able to push his way into FG.

Noname36

First Grade
Obviously. I'd rather anyone's prop rotation than ours. My point though is that if Anderson can't break into Penrith's prop rotation then he certainly isn't going to be enough to help our massive issues.

Knight Vision

First Grade
It's an even bigger "we can't afford to knock back players of his calibre even if he is a dickhead" from me. He has actually been pretty good for the Titans this year - look how they have gone without him this year...

I have to laugh when people on here are saying the guy over the hill and not a good player. He is an incumbent NSW and Aust second rower for starters ( its not as if we have a plethora of rep stars in our current line up is it ) and secondly we are losing Beau Scott, Gids, most likely Smith , Fa alongo ect which represents hundreds of NRL games experience.

I hope we get Bird to add experience for the players we will lose next year and mongrel to a pack that will be in desperate short supply of it

Looking at the ESL off contract props, names available are Asotasi, Mitch Allgood, Grant Millington, but if I could have a pick it would be Kyle Amor from St Helens who is a gun but sadly is still under contract. He is quality. Only 27 as well.

I would also have a look at Richie Myler as a half option. He is a genuine halfback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts