What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Glad this has come true. He is exactly the type of player our rudderless team needs, (not Sean Rudder). He has been out of form, but is a cool head with a thinking man's game. And, of course his goal kicking is a huge factor, despite his form in that regard this year also. Extremely pleased it is now a done deal.

Spot On

Coach
Happy with the signing, the amount and term of the contract.

Hope this is the start of successfully contracting good players irrespective of where they come from.

Exactly how much?? Has it been announced???? From comments on various sites, the price range is between 550 and 700K per season.

Hodko is also very good at turning 4 into 6. Cannot discount his ability to convert tries. Very good at it under the pump as well.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Another prop and all of a sudden the squad starts to look not quite as bad. I actually don't think we need another edge forward. Tariq, Rochow and Tapine are all at their best there and have been playing good footy. It's the middle where we need more power.

1. Mamo
6. Mullen
7. Hodkinson
9. Levi

Obviously half of the spine will still be very young and inexperienced but with Hodkinson coming in and hopefully Mullen coming back they'll have some much needed experience around them to help them.

Noname36

First Grade
I think it could be a top 8 side but of course that will rely on a number of factors.

Firstly obviously it doesn't matter what the squad looks like, if we keep defending like we have been we're going to keep ending up down the bottom. We need to get back to defending like we did earlier in the year but to do that there's a lot of players that will need to pull their finger out and a lot that really just need a lot of work on their technique and reading. The main two there are Sione and Mamo (I've given up on Gagai and Uate there). Mamo in particular needs to work on his organisation of our defensive line back there. I don't think it's a coincidence that our bad defence got a lot worse when we started playing blokes like Gagai and Mamo at fullback who didn't have any first grade experience organising the line. For all the crap we give Gidley our defensive line didn't look half as bad when he was back there talking and organising blokes.

If we are building juniors into first graders we have to get real and accept that they are two or three years from being competent at the elite level. Hodkinson allows a kid like Mamo to get his positional game in attack more structured.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Given that Tyrone is apparently on 400K, i'd like to know what the club is paying Houseton and Fa'alogo. We may have more salary freed up than we think. For the record, I can not believe the knights signed Houston for 2 years. He could be replaced by many dozen cheaper options yet we signed him for 2 years. That was a poor decision by management. If Houston wasn't happy with a one year contract then the club should have said goodbye.

aqua_duck

Coach
Given that Tyrone is apparently on 400K, i'd like to know what the club is paying Houseton and Fa'alogo. We may have more salary freed up than we think. For the record, I can not believe the knights signed Houston for 2 years. He could be replaced by many dozen cheaper options yet we signed him for 2 years. That was a poor decision by management. If Houston wasn't happy with a one year contract then the club should have said goodbye.

I agree, seemed like abit of a desperate move at the end of the season (which shows he wasn't a high priority). To be fair Houston isn't terrible but he just provides you no impact what so ever which is something you really need from your bench. Look at the roosters bench, you know the guys that come off the bench will not allow you to relax, then you look at our bench and teams know if they can atleast match us early on they can put us to the sword in that 25th-60th min interval.

Houston should have been taken aside in 2009 after his first season and bulked up cos he is very tight in the middle. It is like he won't put his body on the line. Stupid really cos he isn't exactly a small lad. His frame is too lean. He is 6 ft 5 i believe.

Last edited:

Noname36

First Grade
Problem with Houston is that his runs make zero impact. He might get away with it if he were a solid defender but he certainly makes some crucial misses. His constant penalties don't help either.

aqua_duck

Coach
He's solid but he really offers very little in attack, he's certainly not someone who bends the line or can offload. In defence it's a funny one, his tackle stats are always quite good but when he misses a tackle he often misses badly

Noname36

First Grade
we need a new coach... i truly believe we do have a talented enough squad next year

Thing is people were saying the exact same thing last year but about Bennett. I want Stone sacked too (I never wanted him appointed), but the more coaches this bunch of players fail under the less confident I get that simply bringing in a new coach will fix things.

Swarzey

Bench
Never been more confident about a culture problem at the club. Whoever they replace Stone with needs to bring an overhaul to how they train, how they prepare and carry themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts