What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
Watson with 32 tackles and only 1 missed so far despite playing almost the whole game at hooker. Good stuff from a little bloke.

Johns Magic

Referee
He is, but so is Guerra. Based on today it would be hard not to play Guerra on the edge. Then again Buhrer at his best is quality on the edge too. I'm genuinely torn.

I wonder if it will come down to what happens with Kostjasyn / utility options. Maybe Buhrer will play lock / dummy half so Guerra can play right edge for 80 minutes.

Not a bad thing having the versatility and options available.

Hence my post a week back that Sione maybe should be the one moved to accomodate. A shame he isn't bigger to play through the middle.

Glendale

Juniors
All this backrow depth sounds great but you know when it comes to next season they'll all be injured and we'll never get the opportunity to have them all on the field together...

Glendale

Juniors
Hence my post a week back that Sione maybe should be the one moved to accomodate. A shame he isn't bigger to play through the middle.

But where do you play him? Wing?

I am a real big fan of Sione in the backrow and he is a really respected part of this team and a big part of our future (as evidenced by the fact he's captaining the side at 20).

I reckon the stats Slots showed earlier don't look great for Sione but don't tell the full story either. He has played a few games at centre and halfback this year and has had some time in the concussion bin as well. And even when he's been playing second row he hasn't been playing a traditional backrower game, often doing a lot of playmaking and kicking to compensate for when Hodko was in the team. I rate him as a good prospect in the backrow and that's where his future should be. He has good leg speed, is a strong runner and adds another dimention to our attack with his skills from the outside backs. Don't want to see Sione get moved.

I reckon Buhrer might be a victim of versatility and be the one who goes on the bench. But this all depends on what Brown see's Guerra's best role as. Through the middle or on the edge. Either way it's a good problem to have. Atleast our backrow is sorted for 2018.

Frederick

Staff member
Also, I don't get why Barnett doesn't seem to be rated around these parts. At this stage, he's our best forward behind Buhrer. He was close to our best against Manly. I remember hearing in an interview that he had planned on beefing up a little again over the 2017/18 offseason. He sees himself as a middle forward. He has good leg speed for a big guy, good footwork and pops a great offload. He'll be our starting lock in 2018 unless something unforeseen happens (perhaps a move to FR).

11.Guerra
12.Sione
13.Barnett

14.Buhrer

I think Buhrer will come on around the 20-25min mark to spell one of the starting front rowers with Barny moving to prop and Buhrer to SR and Guerra to lock. Buhrer will play the remaining part of the game and will also spell Levi at hooker
I'd be happy with this

Edit: meant the lineup, not necessarily the tactics. Seems a lot of shuffling to accommodate one player. If anything I could see Buhrer coming on to spell Levi at about the 30 minute mark, then shifting to lock at about the 50-ish when Barnett goes off and Levi comes back on, and maybe going back off for Barnett at the 70 min mark

Pedge1971

First Grade
Could Sione play lock?

Traditional mobile attacking role maybe but most teams use their lock as another front rower. I am not against it given he does a bit of playnaking already.

f**k, why not try something different? Still means we need more big bodies which we totally lack but get the thought process.

Anyway I reckon you pick your best 17 and sort out positions later and Sione is def there.

I was thinking for some depth coverage next year,we should sign Michael Gordon for a 1yr possibly 2 .back up fullback for ponga and he a fair winger aswell.he a pretty fair goal kicker .i know he is 34 but he is still playing great footy and he would be cheap .has luke lewis resigned for next year as i think he would be good for another year as well and teach our young blokes how to tough out a win.curious what you guys think,