What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Johns Magic

Referee
I'll apologise for the hyperbole, it's actually at least 11, not 27.

Randall
Bhana
Levi
Pearsal
Adams
Phythian
Feeney
Buhrer
Watson
Griffin
Starling

I also have a feeling Yates might have spent some time there, and maybe someone like Wardle or Mickey Paea?

How many of those guys were recruited by Brown to play hooker?

One. Griffin. And Brown loved him and if not for injury he would still be there.

The rest of that list are guys actually recruited to play positions other than hooker, or players who were already on the books and Brown didn't necessarily want.

So what exactly is your point here?

When Brown recruits and dumps a bunch of hookers, you may have one.

Knight Vision

First Grade
How many of those guys were recruited by Brown to play hooker?

One. Griffin. And Brown loved him and if not for injury he would still be there.

The rest of that list are guys actually recruited to play positions other than hooker, or players who were already on the books and Brown didn't necessarily want.

When Brown recruits and dumps a bunch of hookers, you may have one.
I agree - this debate has spilled over from that other forum. Makes for a fascinating study in social media herd mentality.. The other arguments over there worth noting are 'Sione is a shit player" and "Brown cant coach " Like the hooker debate non have been thoroughly contemplated only regurgitated ad nauseum and dutifully followed..

Spot On

Coach
I'll apologise for the hyperbole, it's actually at least 11, not 27.
Randall
Bhana
Levi
Pearsal
Adams
Phythian
Feeney
Buhrer
Watson
Griffin
Starling

I also have a feeling Yates might have spent some time there, and maybe someone like Wardle or Mickey Paea?

Damn. I missed a few. More than we all thought. And definitely wouldn't say Griff was an outstanding hooker. Great defender with below average service and pretty predictable attack - if any. Like all the dummy halves Brown has tried, we haven't found one to do the job for 80 mins - or one he's been happy to play for 80 mins.

Now we could possibly add Mann and if course Woolford to the list.

Spot On

Coach
Mullen was doing a preseason there until he got done for the juice.

Rory Kostjasyn anyone?

Brown has nfi idea who he wants as his number 9.

Add another 2.

16 players??? Easily a record for players tried in the hooking position at the one club in 3 yrs.

Woosh

Head Moderator
I agree - this debate has spilled over from that other forum. Makes for a fascinating study in social media herd mentality.. The other arguments over there worth noting are 'Sione is a shit player" and "Brown cant coach " Like the hooker debate non have been thoroughly contemplated only regurgitated ad nauseum and dutifully followed..

Brown has collected two straight wooden spoons at a winning percentage of 26%.
Darren Mooney quit his role in October citing the last three years has worn him out.
So what exactly are we praising Brown for?
Definitely not his coaching.

Spot On

Coach

A damning indictment on the users of this forum Knight Vision!

Spot On

Coach

You seem to ask this question a lot.

Yet it is obvious to most from Slot's post it was in reference to the number of players we have tried at hooker. And it is a fact that we have.

Why does it need further clarification?

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
I think- Brownly had a shit storm of a salary cap and had to make do with what he had, hence a few reserve graders and a young boy called Levi who'd just made his debut and has a broken back were give some time there. Levi shows great promise but lacks some maturity and a at this stage lacks the physicality to match it with the big boys for the full 80.

• Brown recruits a much older storm player Griffin to the squad, most likely with it in mind that he and Levi share the role as Danny develops.
  • Young Danny boy spits the dummy and Griffin performs better than anticipated so gets the start over Danny boy.
  • Danny spits the dummy and wants out.
  • Griffin gets injured
  • Danny gets yet another op on his broken back + has a bad attitude
  • Brown realizes Danny isnt the future and recruits another young fella in Woolford
  • Danny...........
This sums it up pretty succinctly for mine. The rest that have played there have been incidental gap fillers in the wider view of the above.

I'm sure Brown is a tough marker for his dummy half, and that's probably contributed to more chopping and changing than necessary... but most of the guys Spot and slots are naming weren't put at hooker with a long term view outside of Griffin, Levi, Kostjaysn and Mullen. Kostjaysn and Mullen ruled themselves out through various means, leaving us with 2.

I think if Kostjaysn doesn't medically retire, then we possibly don't even go for Griffin. Both were brought in with a view of grooming Levi, but Levi really hasn't worked out. Naming blokes like Phythian (Brown just wanted to give him a run), Bhana, Pearsall, Buhrer, Adams, Watson (all filling in/depth), Randall and Feeney (working with what he had early on) as some sort of argument that Brown has number 9 problems is a bit of a stretch for mine. His main problem with number 9's is that Kostjaysn never pulled on the jersey, Griffin's knee exploded and Levi just won't seem to mature into a good first grade hooker. The position has always been Levi's to take if he would just step up to it... but, in my appraisal of his performance at least, he never has stepped up.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Brown has collected two straight wooden spoons at a winning percentage of 26%.
Darren Mooney quit his role in October citing the last three years has worn him out.
So what exactly are we praising Brown for?
Definitely not his coaching.

If we're looking at team performance then the young and inexperienced cattle he's had were never going to be good enough. At their age consistency and physicality come with time.

On individual improvement that Brown has overseen from mostly kids in a beaten side and on the backfoot -

Dsaf - from NRL debut to inclusion in the emerging blues squad, Fiji Rep with a big future
Jsaf - from NRL debut to Fiji Rep
Levi - handful of NRL games to NZ rep
Griffin- around 20 NRL appearances to NZ rep
Herman - 31 NRL appearances to NZ rep
Sione - another inclusion in emerging blues squad
Ponga- few games of NRL unable to get a regular start to Players player and Dally M runner up
Fitz- a few NRL games to one of the best up and coming edge rowers in the game
Ross - a few NRL games to City Rep
Barnett - reserve grader to Danny Buderus medal winner

What more do you want ?? You want the guy to turn water into wine ?

Thats 7 players that werent rep players until coached by Brown and another 3 that have made improvements. Bet those guys are happy Browns the coach

Now if he can take us to the next level remains to be seen but surely he deserves to be recognized for what he's achieved with these kids and given plenty of time to continue his plan.

Last edited:

Woosh

Head Moderator
If we're looking at team performance then the young and inexperienced cattle he's had were never going to be good enough. At their age consistency and physicality come with time.

On individual improvement that Brown has overseen from mostly kids in a beaten side and on the backfoot -

Dsaf - from NRL debut to inclusion in the emerging blues squad, Fiji Rep with a big future
Jsaf - from NRL debut to Fiji Rep
Levi - handful of NRL games to NZ rep
Griffin- around 20 NRL appearances to NZ rep
Herman - 31 NRL appearances to NZ rep
Sione - another inclusion in emerging blues squad
Ponga- few games of NRL unable to get a regular start to Players player and Dally M runner up
Fitz- a few NRL games to one of the best up and coming edge rowers in the game
Ross - a few NRL games to City Rep
Barnett - reserve grader to Danny Buderus medal winner

What more do you want ?? You want the guy to turn water into wine ?

Thats 7 players that werent rep players until coached by Brown and another 3 that have made improvements. Bet those guys are happy Browns the coach

Now if he can take us to the next level remains to be seen but surely he deserves to be recognized for what he's achieved with these kids and given plenty of time to continue his plan.

Lololo @ rep players.
You already lost the argument the moment you bringing up Fiji, City/Origin, emerging blue squad, NZ as “rep” players.

Johns Magic

Referee

You seem to ask this question a lot.

Yet it is obvious to most from Slot's post it was in reference to the number of players we have tried at hooker. And it is a fact that we have.

Why does it need further clarification?

Tried at hooker?

How many of them have run out with the 9 on their back in first-grade?

slotmachine

First Grade
Your question is irrelevant. You have moved the goal posts from "A couple of second-graders training as our fifth-string hooker at training once or twice" to "run out with the 9 on their back in first-grade".

My point was Brown has tried a lot of hookers. Playing dummy half in a first grade game is trying out a hooker in my opinion. At least 11 in three years is a lot, to me. You seem to have trouble understanding that concept, so I am going to leave it there.

Apparently Bellamy had Mann play hooker in trials at Storm, so he has some level of experience at the position.

Last edited:

Johns Magic

Referee
Your question is irrelevant. You have moved the goal posts from "A couple of second-graders training as our fifth-string hooker at training once or twice" to "run out with the 9 on their back in first-grade".

My point was Brown has tried a lot of hookers. Playing dummy half in a first grade game is trying out a hooker in my opinion. At least 11 in three years is a lot, to me. You seem have trouble understanding that concept, perhaps I ask too much in terms of comprehension, so I am going to leave it there.

Apparently Bellamy had Mann play hooker in trials at Storm, so he has some level of experience at the position.

No it is relevant, and that's why you don't want to answer it. Try answering for me.

I must have missed the memo when Nathan Brown was pinning his hopes on Bhana or Pearsall being the 10-year hooker we have been looking for.

Almost none of those guys were played with that intention. Injuries, four-man benches and versatility mean some have had to fill in there for 10 minutes. That is a completely different thing and something you fail to comprehend.

And from what I'm hearing, it's not really your point, is it? You've been spending a bit too much time over at that other forum with your mates and decided to copy-paste one of theirs over here.

Spot On

Coach

My point was Brown has tried a lot of hookers. Playing dummy half in a first grade game is trying out a hooker in my opinion. At least 11 in three years is a lot, to me. You seem to have trouble understanding that concept, so I am going to leave it there.

Ah, thank you clarify if Mann had any experience at all at hooker. Apparently he is a decent defender but defending in the middle and being targetted and asked to wrestle massive humans is a whole lot different to being a bench utility and being used the way McGregor was playing him.

Spot On

Coach
No it is relevant, and that's why you don't want to answer it. Try answering for me.

I must have missed the memo when Nathan Brown was pinning his hopes on Bhana or Pearsall being the 10-year hooker we have been looking for.

Almost none of those guys were played with that intention. Injuries, four-man benches and versatility mean some have had to fill in there for 10 minutes. That is a completely different thing and something you fail to comprehend.

And from what I'm hearing, it's not really your point, is it? You've been spending a bit too much time over at that other forum with your mates and decided to copy-paste one of theirs over here.

Brown hasn't pinned his hopes on any of the near 13 or 14 players he's given a go at hooker.

Griff has grit and good defensive technique but he is lacking in other areas. Not a threat at sll out of dummy half and service is pretty predictable too.

Levi has speed and some attack but is deficient in defence and prone to being selfish. He generally has a go.

For mine Brown still hasn't found the hooker we need or I'd like to see play 80 mins each week. Which is clear in the way he used both players last year.

You are doing your condescending thing again JM.