What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

I agree. I think Tariq and Rochow are every chance of leaving. Browny needs to make as much cap space as he can. Especially given we are not making big improvements week in week out.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
I want to keep Korbun, the other to are "take it or leave it" for me...

Honestly, id not like to see TSims go either

Sure hes not been at his best, but we know what he is capable of and I still hold a bit of hope that he will deliver that again.

Not fussed on Rochow though

Tariq does have some great potential and has shown a few glimpses for us, but he is apparently our highest paid player. He most definitely hasnt done enough to earn that tag...

We would never be able to replace him with someone of a similar (potential) quality, but with his money we could grab 3 or 4 fringe players with a huge drive to play.

At this point, the recruitment/cutting needs to be about building a culture of putting in 100% every game (we'll never have the most talent, we need to have the most effort)...

Still Nutty

Juniors
At this point, the recruitment/cutting needs to be about building a culture of putting in 100% every game (we'll never have the most talent, we need to have the most effort)...

This is where it needs to start....a classic example was the Bunnies Vs Tigers game the other week - regardless of how the Bunnies are going at the moment, the tigers just completely out-enthused the Bunnies on the night and never gave them a chance to catch their breath in that game, both in attack and defence.

It is the foundation for all the competitive sides and it is not necessarily about skill and size...although they do it tirelessly and relentlessly, those sides that do it well end up expending less energy because they control the tempo of the game and generally keep the opposition playing catch up.

I know it is not that simplistic but it is really around a culture of a team to a man doing the 1 percenters

knightsarmy

Juniors
If Parra are trying to get rid of Watmough off of this years cap by retirement to injury surely we should be able to do the same with Snowden ?

Jono078

Referee
If Parra are trying to get rid of Watmough off of this years cap by retirement to injury surely we should be able to do the same with Snowden ?

We probably could. But it won't really benefit us this year or next by doing it right now.

It will be nice when we sign a player we know will make us significantly more dangerous. Then after that another two or three key positional players.

For me if we free up the cap by cutting Sims and Rochow + Snowden and Smith's retirements the targets need to be from a list like this. We need quality depth over superstars IMO. The panthers model. Breed the stars within.

Luke Lewis
Marika Koribete
Joel Thompson
Kane Linnett
Shaun Lane
Ben henry
Michael Gordon

Can i just point out Watmough's statement regarding putting the club first is something the likes of Mullen and Uate need to take on board. I get that it is retirement but his attitude is what i like. Both have made plenty out of a club that is probably the only club they would be playing first grade at right now. That is what makes it completely laughable. I wish they would both just go and play in England to finish up there. Mullen has to be close to calling it a day at 29 with very dodgy hammies. Why should we pay for a man who is never on the field for a whole season. Injury risks need to be built into player's deals.

League_God

Juniors
It will be nice when we sign a player we know will make us significantly more dangerous. Then after that another two or three key positional players.

For me if we free up the cap by cutting Sims and Rochow + Snowden and Smith's retirements the targets need to be from a list like this. We need quality depth over superstars IMO. The panthers model. Breed the stars within.

Luke Lewis
Marika Koribete
Joel Thompson
Kane Linnett
Shaun Lane
Ben henry
Michael Gordon

Can i just point out Watmough's statement regarding putting the club first is something the likes of Mullen and Uate need to take on board. I get that it is retirement but his attitude is what i like. Both have made plenty out of a club that is probably the only club they would be playing first grade at right now. That is what makes it completely laughable. I wish they would both just go and play in England to finish up there. Mullen has to be close to calling it a day at 29 with very dodgy hammies. Why should we pay for a man who is never on the field for a whole season. Injury risks need to be built into player's deals.

couldn't agree more on all fronts.

On Mullen, that is precisely my biggest problem with him. He has to be one of the most injury prone players in the NRL. It almost happens at least once a game where he reels out of collision looking injured. It's gotten to the point with Mullen where I won't even be sad to see him go, just excited by the cap space he frees up.

Uate, honestly it's going to be bittersweet. After Joey and Bedsy, he's at times given me the most excitement/pride as a knights supporter for the last 10-12 years

Johns Magic

Referee

Luke Lewis
Marika Koribete
Joel Thompson
Kane Linnett
Shaun Lane
Ben henry
Michael Gordon

Only Linnett appeals to me on that list. Lane I haven't seen enough of to say either way but wasn't too impressive in his short stint on the weekend.

Why get Gordon? We already have Hodkinson. If we had both I would cry.

As for saying Mullen and Uate should follow Watmough's lead. Comparing apples with oranges there.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Linnett and Lewis would both be good guys imo. They both have a track record of performing at their best or close to it each week. That's what we need more of at this club, players who we know will give us that level in every game. We have way too many guys who show up and play well below their pay packets, notable members of this group include Tariq, Rochow, Gagai & Mullen.

Johns Magic

Referee
tbh I think we missed the boat on Linnett.

He is not an outstanding talent. His money would be getting up at that level for his next contract IMO. I liked him at the Roosters and would've liked us to chase him then.

Lewis...yeah maybe. Prefer him to Tariq.

I reckon we'll go for Luke Lewis and build up fringe players for reserves. We have decimated their ranks a bit.
A lot depends on who we lose at the end of the year. Exposing the younger players leaves them open to other clubs. I don't think we'll hold back anyone that wants to go.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I'd be shattered if we lost Korbin. I reckon within two years he'll be in the qld team. Rochow might be worth keeping at a reasonable price say 300k. I reckon try tariq at prop for a few weeks and if he proves to be ordinary then let him go. I wouldn't be too disappointed if Mullen left however I feel people are being a bit rough on him. This year his defence has been really good, especially for a 5/8. during the comentery last game the commentators said that he was leading the Knights stats in three areas. One was try assist I believe and another may have been line break assists. If anyone can remember the stats that they mentioned, feel free to share them :) I just wish he'd play more like a natural footballer (playing what's infront of him) rather then someone who is trying to put on the set plays that the coaches want him to do.

Last edited:

PhilGould

Bench
Mullen fans are becoming a bit like Mitchell Pearce Origin fans at this point. There's always an excuse as to why it's someone else's fault he's playing bad and why he should be given another chance.

slotmachine

First Grade
during the comentery last game the commentators said that he was leading the Knights stats in three areas. One was try assist I believe and another may have been line break assists. If anyone can remember the stats that they mentioned,

yep, leads team in try assists, line break assists, kick metres and line breaks. i think that says more about how f**king useless hodkinson has been than anything else.

http://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremiership/playerstatistics/tabid/10877/default.aspx

here's a fun fact, sam mataora has the made the same number of line breaks this season (2) that sione has made since 2014.

League_God

Juniors
yep, leads team in try assists, line break assists, kick metres and line breaks. i think that says more about how f**king useless hodkinson has been than anything else.

http://www.nrl.com/stats/telstrapremiership/playerstatistics/tabid/10877/default.aspx

here's a fun fact, sam mataora has the made the same number of line breaks this season (2) that sione has made since 2014.

hahaha that's f**king disgraceful.

On a sidenote, I've really loved Sam Mataora's work this year. He'd be among a small (very small) handful of players currently at the club who i'd like to keep

Saifitis
Mataora
Korbin
Stockwell
Pauli
Levi

Outside of those players, they can all f**k off

Rochow won't stay for what we offered him. He made it clear by seeking offers. The only setback is his injury.I suspect he may have been gone now if it wasn't for the injury.
Korbin I reckon will stay with his links to Alex and the club. Tariq might be resigned to us not paying him more and I reckon he will go.

Spot On

Coach
Put simply, there is no reason Tariq should be paid as much as he signed on for. If he wants more and another club will pay it, he will not be here much longer. Same for Rochow.

A no-brainer.

hahaha that's f**king disgraceful.

On a sidenote, I've really loved Sam Mataora's work this year. He'd be among a small (very small) handful of players currently at the club who i'd like to keep

Saifitis
Mataora
Korbin
Stockwell
Pauli
Levi

Outside of those players, they can all f**k off

Absolutely. Sione I would still keep because his defence has been excellent. I think he is a lock or backrower long term. I think you could be closer to Brown's vision long term there. Sign up the future first and buy players who are reliable and buy into his culture. Let him decide who is a keeper for this club. If we brought in a Luke Lewis or Ennis to provide that stability and belief In the culture then I would be all for it. I truly believe Ennis is the reason the Sharks are going as well as they are. Maloney as well. We should have gone all in for Maloney.

otori

Juniors
Anyone see Gidley petitioned the NRL to reform TPAs? I can't access the article on the Tele site but it was from a few days back.

Latest posts