What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
No, but I reckon if you asked any of our players if they wanted to go and play for Brisbane I bet most would say yes.

Easy to pack up and go to a successful club like that.

Joel-22

Juniors
Anybody heard anything about Korbin asking for a release and wanting to go to Brisbane?

it wouldn't be a huge loss. For his age and experience Korbin isn't exactly setting the world alight. He doesn't really look strong enough especially in the wrestle which is pretty much why we're shit

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Lewis is 34 next year, Bird will be 33.

If I was forced to have one of them here it would be Lewis.

Neither of them will be playing rep footy so that's a bonus.

Bird lost the plot today against Canberra, Lewis does not.

I really don't see the point of signing either of them at their age and the $$$ their manager would be asking for.

If they were cheap, maybe you could consider it. Maybe.

Cause we need experience in the forwards, badly. We also need a leader in the forwards for 2017, badly

Whats Doing

Bench
it wouldn't be a huge loss. For his age and experience Korbin isn't exactly setting the world alight. He doesn't really look strong enough especially in the wrestle which is pretty much why we're shit

He is our best forward and if he is struggling, which I dont agree with, it is because of the reserve grade team he has around him.

We need to keep our best and build on that rather than turfing them out because they may ask for a release.

Still Nutty

Juniors

I tend to agree with this assessment of Korbin at the moment...his intent is there but it doesn't seem to translate into dominance in his hit ups or his defence.

One think I do notice with Newcastle is the difference from the defensive pattern of every other competitive team. The main elements of difference are closing off the space(i.e. moving up off the line consistently) but more importantly getting 3 men plus in every tackle.

The time latitude referees provide a 3 man tackle versus a 2 man tackle (consistently what Newcastle defences achieve) is a good 2 seconds per tackle on average...that equates to more time to get your defensive line set, more time for a breather in between tackles, more chance of effecting fumbles from the offence, less chance of lying in the ruck penalties (it is strange but it seems to work out that way), more chance of limiting offloads, etc. etc. etc.

I recommend you watch this over the whole period of a game, particularly with teams that have this consistent defensive pattern (Dragons did it on the weekend, Bulldogs, Storm and others are specials at it, etc.) and see how much time and effort we have to use scrambling in defence versus the opposition

macavity

Referee
I tend to agree with this assessment of Korbin at the moment...his intent is there but it doesn't seem to translate into dominance in his hit ups or his defence.

One think I do notice with Newcastle is the difference from the defensive pattern of every other competitive team. The main elements of difference are closing off the space(i.e. moving up off the line consistently) but more importantly getting 3 men plus in every tackle.

The time latitude referees provide a 3 man tackle versus a 2 man tackle (consistently what Newcastle defences achieve) is a good 2 seconds per tackle on average...that equates to more time to get your defensive line set, more time for a breather in between tackles, more chance of effecting fumbles from the offence, less chance of lying in the ruck penalties (it is strange but it seems to work out that way), more chance of limiting offloads, etc. etc. etc.

I recommend you watch this over the whole period of a game, particularly with teams that have this consistent defensive pattern (Dragons did it on the weekend, Bulldogs, Storm and others are specials at it, etc.) and see how much time and effort we have to use scrambling in defence versus the opposition

Refs Ping us at the drop of a hat...

Joel-22

Juniors
He is our best forward and if he is struggling, which I dont agree with, it is because of the reserve grade team he has around him.

We need to keep our best and build on that rather than turfing them out because they may ask for a release.

Daniel Saifiti is already a better player than Korbin imo

Whats Doing

Bench
The fact of the matter is whether you agree whether or not Sims is our best forward,he is clearly a NRL standard forward which is more than we can say with a lot of our forwards. We need to keep him and get more quality forwards to support him if we are ever going to move up the ladder and start to become a competitive team week in week out

Last edited:

Caped Crusader

Juniors
The fact of the matter is whether you agree whether or not Sims is our best forward,he is clearly a NRL standard forward which is more than we can say with a lot of our forwards. We need to keep him and get more quality forwards to support him if we are ever going to move up the ladder and start to become a competitive team week in week out

I think Sims is worth persisting with, but him being "our best forward" is certainly not a fact mate. He is middle of the pack for us, quite literally, when it comes to output and quality

D. Saifiti and Mateora are both outperforming him at present

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Does anyone think that Blake Green would be worth looking at for half back or 5/8? Apparently Melbourne probably won't be able to keep him because Cronk will stay for big money. He's been playing pretty good football for a couple of years there now and wouldn't expect rep money. What do people think?

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Ive seen Tom Hughes play a few times with the North Sydney Bears. He performs well at the NSW Cup level and should be good depth. As for Blake Green I don't mind the idea however with Hodkinson, Mullen for now and Cogger, Lamb in the future I'm not sure he's necessary.

BuderusIsaBeast

Juniors
Jeff Robson has been granted a release to come back to Australia. I know he's nothing special but he's a first grader and a veteran who I think would be a great pickup for the rest of the season.

Jono078

Referee
I'd take Green if we move on Mullen or Hodkinson.

No thanks to Robson. He does a solid job, but we shouldn't be looking for solid veterans. We need a bit more than that.

Latest posts