What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
And he's too inept to play at centre.

rock-and-a-hard-place-o.gif

If he were playing in James Roberts jersey this year he'd be murdering it. He's got more talent in his little toe than the rest of our backline combined. Sure, doesn't defend well... but who are you replacing him with?

perverse

Referee
But he's incapable of defending at centre.

I'd much rather play him on the wing and if he performs like he does for Qld I will be happy.

Rather than him letting in 3 tries a game in the centres because that's where his pay determines he plays.

We don't have someone who can defend at centre. I'd prefer to let Gags work on his defensive game than to speculate on someone else that we know can't rip the job. He may not ever be a goods defender, but he'll definitely never be one while he isn't paying in that position. Maybe he'll lessen to defend by the time he's got a team around him where it matters. I'm not really interested in getting beaten by 20 instead of 40 at this point.

Dead set, of all the problems we have, I don't know why Gagai is anywhere on your radar.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
I would rather be targeting the *best* in NYC, QLD cup and NSW cup, not the ones that current clubs will gladly release.

So the club should target someone like Mitch Barnett, who was NSW Cup player of the year in 2015? But he was also unwanted by Canberra, so we shouldn't have signed him? :?

It is too difficult to know who will and won't succeed from the NYC. When we signed Liki Liki , Henry and O'Donnell We had plenty to be excited about as they were arguably the top three players in that Comp in 2010. We all know how that ended.

Oops, I forgot about Brendon Elliot. We should definitely sign him- he was named at centre in the 2014 NYC team of the year. But we also shouldn't sign him, because he was unwanted at the roosters?

This logic is starting to do my head in.

:lol:

Joel-22

Juniors
We don't have someone who can defend at centre. I'd prefer to let Gags work on his defensive game than to speculate on someone else that we know can't rip the job. He may not ever be a goods defender, but he'll definitely never be one while he isn't paying in that position. Maybe he'll lessen to defend by the time he's got a team around him where it matters. I'm not really interested in getting beaten by 20 instead of 40 at this point.

Dead set, of all the problems we have, I don't know why Gagai is anywhere on your radar.

f**k me dead, i've been saying this pretty much all year.

How can anyone honestly think Gagai is our problem? You all have goldfish memories, at his peak he's in the top 3 centres in the game. We need a fullback so Gags can go back to the centres

macavity

Referee

And where do Tom Hughes, Jackson Hill, Logan Harris, Ryan Walker and Chris Adams fit in?

Let alone Benji Marshall as advocated by some on here.

Disagree on the "don't bother signing a marquee" angle. That is exactly what we need - a signal of intent. A standard setter. Someone to drag the rest along. We need our Ben Kennedy.

But we need the right one. Hodkinson was not the right one.

I know it is probably beyond us - but it is what we need. Lewis is my pick for 2 years - yes he is over the hill, but he is a professional - make him captain. Hell, we could get both him and Bird for close to what we threw at Hodkinson.

Dave_

Juniors
Lol. A lot of guys seem to rate Gagai around here. Even for QLD he just reaps the benefits of having great players lay it on for him. He's a decent winger and that's about it and unfortunately we need much more than just decent wingers right now.

perverse

Referee
I suppose you're one of those people that thinks Darius Boyd is a shit player and just perpetually lucky, too. Nothing is simple at Origin level. If you've ever had to perform under that sort of pressure, you should understand. There's those that can handle it, Gus calls them origin players - and those that can't. Gagai is a fair dinkum origin player, seems to play better as the stage gets larger. QLD don't play him at centre because of his defence, but as I've said, he can't improve it much playing wing or fullback.

Doesn't it do your head in that, almost without fail, players get better when they leave us? This doesn't tell you anything, or give you any insight at all into our current roster?

Playing in our little playpen doesn't give him a chance to do what he can do. At least he's having a red hot dig every week, more than you can say for a lot of our guys. Honestly getting to the point where I hope the guy does leave so he can salvage the second half of his career.

Sorry about all the edits, my phone sucks fat arsehole for typing quickly.

Last edited:

Frederick

Staff member
f**k me dead, i've been saying this pretty much all year.

How can anyone honestly think Gagai is our problem? You all have goldfish memories, at his peak he's in the top 3 centres in the game. We need a fullback so Gags can go back to the centres

:lol: top 3 my arse. Wouldn't even crack top 10. Defense is 50% of the game, and if you can't defend (ala golden boy Gagai) then you ain't a top centre

Spot On

Coach
So I'm assuming Justin O'Niell is one of the top 2 centres in the NRL then????

There is a very good reason he was chosen ahead of Gagai as centre.

See if you can work it out.

And just on Kevvie Walters, no one has mentioned how incredible a coach he is getting his Origin career off to such a brilliant start. 2 wins from 2 starts. Will be 3 for 3 soon. Simply unbelievable from a rookie coach at that level.

Last edited:

Joel-22

Juniors
So I'm assuming Justin O'Niell is one of the top 2 centres in the NRL then????

There is a very good reason he was chosen ahead of Gagai as centre.

See if you can work it out.

And just on Kevvie Walters, no one has mentioned how incredible a coach he is getting his Origin career off to such a brilliant start. 2 wins from 2 starts. Will be 3 for 3 soon. Simply unbelievable from a rookie coach at that level.

Wait so Gagai was playing centre all 2016 and he's been in career best form? OH ok, my mistake. You finally make sense for the first time in your life.
The truth is, a fit and firing Dane Gagai eats Justin "O'Niell" for breakfast and walks into the QLD centre spot. I'd look for stats to back this up but I'm afraid it'd be in vain as none of you little dweebs value stats as a measure for how players are going.

Gagai has defensive issues but when playing in the centres, his attack has been brilliant.

PS the overall content in your post is like a signal fire bringing your obvious ignorance of the game to everyone's attention.

Kevvie Walters is a brilliant coach because he "coached" the most dominant QLD side of all time that contains the best hooker, the best 5/8, the best fullback, the best prop, the best centre and the best halfback in the entire comp to a narrow victory over the shittest NSW side in recent memory? Wow! f**k Dally M coach of the year, if it's a whitewash he should be shortlisted for a Nobel Prize!

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Some of the posts above just have me scratching my head - what the actual f**k am I reading?

Gagai's defense at centre is a huge problem for us and has been for a number or years now.

We have the Mata'utia's who I think are more than capable of defending at centre if they can stay fit for the season.

^^ And Gagai has not played centre all of 2016 (even if you meant 2015, it's not true).

I think our best possible backline if we find another fullback or Mamo takes a hold of it would be;

1 Mamo
2 Gagai
3 Sione Mata'utia
4 Nathan Ross
5 Pete Mata'utia

And to be honest, I could see them alternating in attack and defense if needed.

Spot On

Coach
Wait so Gagai was playing centre all 2016 and he's been in career best form? OH ok, my mistake. You finally make sense for the first time in your life.
The truth is, a fit and firing Dane Gagai eats Justin "O'Niell" for breakfast and walks into the QLD centre spot. I'd look for stats to back this up but I'm afraid it'd be in vain as none of you little dweebs value stats as a measure for how players are going.

Gagai has defensive issues but when playing in the centres, his attack has been brilliant.

PS the overall content in your post is like a signal fire bringing your obvious ignorance of the game to everyone's attention.

Kevvie Walters is a brilliant coach because he "coached" the most dominant QLD side of all time that contains the best hooker, the best 5/8, the best fullback, the best prop, the best centre and the best halfback in the entire comp to a narrow victory over the shittest NSW side in recent memory? Wow! f**k Dally M coach of the year, if it's a whitewash he should be shortlisted for a Nobel Prize!

OMG.

Hook, line and f**king sinker.

You have no idea mate.

None.

You could coach the QLD team to an Origin win over the dud mob we have fronting up for 3 games a year. People were wanking themselves over Dane scoring 3 tries in game 2 when all 3 were gifted to him, just as Kevvie has been gifted a team that can't lose to that rabble Laurie has. And you have justified my point and contradicted yourself re Gagai.

Well done champ.

Hook, line and sinker.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Some of the posts above just have me scratching my head - what the actual f**k am I reading?

Gagai's defense at centre is a huge problem for us and has been for a number or years now.

We have the Mata'utia's who I think are more than capable of defending at centre if they can stay fit for the season.

^^ And Gagai has not played centre all of 2016 (even if you meant 2015, it's not true).

I think our best possible backline if we find another fullback or Mamo takes a hold of it would be;

1 Mamo
2 Gagai
3 Sione Mata'utia
4 Nathan Ross
5 Pete Mata'utia

Could not agree more. Some are watching (or not watching) a different game.

Joel-22

Juniors
OMG.

Hook, line and f**king sinker.

You have no idea mate.

None.

You could coach the QLD team to an Origin win over the dud mob we have fronting up for 3 games a year. People were wanking themselves of Dane scoring 3 tries in game 2 when all 3 were gifted to him, just as Kevvie has been gifted a team that can't lose to that rabble Laurie has. And you have justified my point and contradicted yourself re Gagai.

Well done champ.

Hook, line and sinker.

Before you ejaculate to your own post would you mind pointing where I contradicted myself? Also, how have I justified your point?

I don't know you from a bar of soap, how the f**k am I supposed to know you were being ironic talking about Kev?

Joel-22

Juniors

1 Mamo
2 Gagai
3 Sione Mata'utia
4 Nathan Ross
5 Pete Mata'utia

I was being sarcastic.

Spot On

Coach
You know where, you walked right into it.

There wouldn't be a league follower anywhere in the world who doesn't know anyone could 'coach' the current QLD side to victory over the rot they are up against.

Surely in this forum you would have seen the set up you walked into.

I found it amusing the fawning over Dane's tries when Kevvie is in the same situation (benefitting from an all time great team) yet no one was raving about his performance. Now why is that???

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade

sione is missing 3.4 tackles a game this year
gagai missed 2.6 tackles per game in 2015

one of them is lauded as a good defender, the other dismissed as a turnstile

Latest posts