What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

aqua_duck

Coach
Baptiste is a good player, ex Australian schoolboy and played alot of halfback in his junior days so I'd imagine would have some sort of kicking game. Just did a google on him and god he looks like Tyrone Roberts

RABK

Referee
Kinda suggests that those who think Roberts may push Gidley to bench or hooker are probably wrong and as long as fit Gidley will be our halfback with Roberts a back up on a minimum wage 2 year deal.

perverse

Referee
Kinda suggests that those who think Roberts may push Gidley to bench or hooker are probably wrong and as long as fit Gidley will be our halfback with Roberts a back up on a minimum wage 2 year deal.
I don't think many people expect it to happen (I certainly don't assume to know what Bennett is thinking)... more just exploring the possibilities. It has always been my suspicion that Bennett isn't close to finished with Gidley at halfback, though.

I'm certainly no fan of Gids going to halfback. as I said before a ball was kicked this year, though... if anyone can make it work, it'll be Bennett. Tyrone still has a lot to do in any case. I think a lot of people have finally seen some promising signs from him, though... hence a lot of discussion about it in weeks previous.

I think Baptiste would be a good pickup in any circumstance, too. We lack quite considerably in the hooker department in the club... with only Buderus as any sort of sane first grade option at present. Baptiste has the potential to make the position his own post-Bedsy, for sure.

Frederick

Staff member
Mason deal a done-deal
Friday 10 August 2012 11:57 AM

Newcastle Knights coach Wayne Bennett said forward Willie Mason will remain at the Knights next season and that it is just a matter of getting the paperwork done.
Mason joined the Knights in Round 8 and hasn't missed a game; playing 14 games to date.
Bennett said the Club will finalise Mason's contract and that he looks forward to having him around beyond this season.
"Willie will re-sign, that’ll be done," Bennett said.
"We just need to put pen to paper and discuss some terms there, but it will happen.
"Used properly, which I hope we can do going forward, two more years (at the Knights) should be no problems."
Bennett said he has been extremely pleased with the impact the former NSW and Australian representative has made at the Knights.
"He’s been wonderful and what we needed," Bennett said.
"He’s made a real boost for the Club and there’s no reason why he won’t stay here.
"I knew what I was getting when I made the decision to bring him to Newcastle. I’ve worked with him in Australian teams and I know what he brings."
LINK

RABK

Referee
Some of you wanna start making 2014 wish lists? Only 6 weeks away from the likes of Tamou, Papalii, Gillett, Bird, Scott, Tolman, Carney, Soward, Inglis, Burgess, Weyman, Thurston, Pearce, SBW, Galloway etc all becoming free agents open to negotiations for season 2014 and beyond. Falou is also off contract in 2014 although unsure when his AFL contract allows him to start negotiating.

As you can see it's going to be the biggest and highest quality list of off contract players ever seen, especially props. A lot of players/managers obviously structured the last contract they signed to end as the new tv deal would be finalised.

This also actually means that the likes of Aku, McManus, Tahu, Costigan and, despite signing a contract a week ago, Kev Naiqama are all free agents.

November 1st doesn't start a silly season though, infact i think there has only ever been a handful of signings in the initial november-march open market period eg Maloney signing to the Roosters. Players will be waiting on the tv deal and NRL clubs are very hesitant to open their books until midway through the actual season the players are off contract. However negotiatings do get well under way in November and take months for the quality of player i listed above.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Surely the squeeze will be on at the Bulldogs soon.

I am on who hopes Gidley is nowhere near the halves next season.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Heard the name before, but don't know anything about him. Is he any good?

Probably the best young hooking prospect in the lower grades tbh. Plays for Norths in the Qld cup and kills it most weeks. Good defender for his size and has excellent awareness

Probably runs the ball a little too much at times but he does have plenty of success when doing it.

Some of you wanna start making 2014 wish lists? Only 6 weeks away from the likes of Tamou, Papalii, Gillett, Bird, Scott, Tolman, Carney, Soward, Inglis, Burgess, Weyman, Thurston, Pearce, SBW, Galloway etc all becoming free agents open to negotiations for season 2014 and beyond. Falou is also off contract in 2014 although unsure when his AFL contract allows him to start negotiating.

As you can see it's going to be the biggest and highest quality list of off contract players ever seen, especially props. A lot of players/managers obviously structured the last contract they signed to end as the new tv deal would be finalised.

This also actually means that the likes of Aku, McManus, Tahu, Costigan and, despite signing a contract a week ago, Kev Naiqama are all free agents.

November 1st doesn't start a silly season though, infact i think there has only ever been a handful of signings in the initial november-march open market period eg Maloney signing to the Roosters. Players will be waiting on the tv deal and NRL clubs are very hesitant to open their books until midway through the actual season the players are off contract. However negotiatings do get well under way in November and take months for the quality of player i listed above.

Doubt NQ can keep both Scott and Tamou. Tamou will do nicely. Throw the bank at Carney. I am content with our backline at present. Gillet I have big wraps on.

Rolla

Juniors
Tamou and Gillett in, Re-sign Aku and Kev (if he is still looking good in firstgrade for the rest of the season). Give Tahu the option, if he can keep it up then keep him going.

RABK

Referee
I'd take Tamou, Cordner, Lafai and Baptiste.

1. Darius Boyd
2. Kev Naiqama
3. Tim Lafai
4. Dane Gagai
5. Akuila Uate
6. Jarrod Mullen
7. Kurt Gidley
8. Kade Snowden
9. Kurt Baptiste
10. James Tamou
11. Beau Scott
12. Boyd Cordner
13. Chris Houston

14. Alex McKinnon
15. Willie Mason
16. Jeremy Smith
17. Adam Cuthbertson

Last edited:

Yosh

Coach
2014:

1. Darius
2. Uate
3. Gagai
4. Falou
5. Kev Naquaima

6. Mullen
7. Roberts

8. Tamou
9. Kidley
10. Snowden
11. Scott
12. Cordner
13. House

14. Baptitse
15. McKinnon
16. Mason
17. Rochow

Stick

Juniors
1 Boyd
2 Naiqama
3 Gidley
4 Gagai
5 Uate
6 Mullen
7 Roberts
8Snowden
9 Baptiste
10 Tamou
11 McKinnon
12 Scott
13 Houston
14 Rochow
15 Mason
16 Sims
17 Cuthbertson

Just want a prop and a hooker. And somewhere to put Kurt.

Nuffy

Bench
Baptiste might benefit from a year under bedsy wing, like what we tried to do when we signed Steve Walters.

I'm more interested in making sure Gagai signs long term, then if we can add quality then I'd be wrapped.

Assuming we get smith and that Rochow etc come on, we are a prop short. Tamou or similar would be amazing, but you never quite know with Bennett's rep and Tinks money.

Jobdog

Live Update Team
Joey said on Triple M tonight that Smith is a done deal, so the rumour is gaining legs...

Burwood

Bench
I'd still happily give Smith a miss if it meant we could sign a prop instead. Doesn't need to be a world beater, just someone solid enough to play each week and do the job of helping out Snowden and Mason.

One player I will miss next year is Taia. Could have easily languished in NSW Cup after being let go earlier in the year like Sau, Naiqama, Tui etc, but he has really been a positive in the side lately, especially when Snowden was injured and he played up front.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts