What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RABK

Referee
Maybe the thinking is we'll gain more metres by playing Buderus, De Gois and Fien as props ahead of Tolar and AK.

perverse

Referee
Maybe the thinking is we'll gain more metres by playing Buderus, De Gois and Fien as props ahead of Tolar and AK.
unorthodox, but i'm betting it would work. all 3 have more heart in a single hair follicle than the 2 "props" combined.

cram

Bench
what confuses me is how close the papers have him to signing with us every time he's mentioned.

My guess is that it was a done deal then the whole Tinkler thing came into play, then the Bennett isssue came into it. As a result his resigning will depend on Bennett wanting him and the fact that it has not happened yet suggests he is dropping down the pecking order.

The fact that the papers change their stories every day is amazing and what is even more perplexing is how the same journalisists writing for the same paper contradict eachother all the time.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
I replied to your Doogs diatribe in another thread. My issues with him go further back than last year. My issue with Doogs is that he asks and gets a full years wage when you know you'll get a bit over half a season on average out of him. That is fact. You got lucky in that he had a decent 2010, but how is your blind faith in him looking now?

I don't care how far back your issues with Macdougall go back. You said and I hope I'm not misquoting you "I didn't think he went all that well last year". In reference to me saying that he was killing it in the first half of the year. Now you have finally admitted to missing the first 50% of the first half of the year that you were making out that you saw. You'll never beat coastbloke when it comes to ignorance, but wow. I do wish you had just admitted that you missed 50% of the first half of the year, rather than making out that you saw him play in all those games that you claimed that you didn't think he went that well in...

We'll be lucky to get 10 games out of him this year - for a $150K a year player that isn't good enough. No doubt he'll want one last year to get his 200 games and you'll be on the side lines cheering him on and calling everyone ignorant because they don't share your opinion.

Over the last 4 years he has averaged around 16/17 games per year. In another thread you were saying that he only plays 10 games per season. So I see that when you aren't being willfully ignorant, you make stuff up. Nice work. But hey, he night play 10 games this year and if he does, you will finally be right. Nice work!

I genuinely forgot how well Pato went, that's on me. But let's get back to the point - do you think he makes House - quite possibly an Origin player after last night - look like "Tanner" on a good day?

Don't be so hard on yourself. I'm sure it was the fact that you missed 50% of the first half of the season when he was playing so well. If you were able to watch every game that he played in over the first half of the year, I'm sure you wouldn't have forgotten how well he was going :sarcasm:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
i hear they are opening one in kotara south...

will kill the Kmart tho..

K-Man

Bench
I watched Bedsy in the Challenge Cup the other night - whilst he wasn't dominant he certainly wasn't an old man passenger either.

If I had to sum the performance up (bearing in mind I hadn't seen any of his other games in the UK in ages now) I'd say this:
sharpness, distribution, dummy half vision, leadership, talk, tackling etc - all around 80% of his old self... i.e. perfectly reasonable.
stamina and ability to get highly involved for long periods of time - about 50% of his old self. To me he just looks like he doesn't have it in him to go hard for 80 minutes or even 60 minutes, but the work he does do is still quality, and I'd happily have him back for a season as a 30 minute/game interchange hooker rotating with Gids who could also spend time at lock.

The more you fill a side with genuine quality players (Myles etc) the less value someone like Hilder has, which is what I have argued in previous threads. Hilder winning player of the year awards is probably more of a reflection on an average side, a crappy season, and the heart and effort the bloke puts in than it is his actual strength of performance.

He's a gutsy little tackling machine, but you would never pick him at lock ahead of Myles, Houston, Costigan... and you would never pick him at hooker ahead of De Gois, Fien, Buderus, Gidley... which means his biggest benefit comes from being able to do a bit of both.

But really any team with Gidley shouldn't need a utility like Hilder in the top 17. Handy backup, but not much more in the WB era I wouldn't think.

Alex28

Coach
BIHK...mate...you need to chill out a bit and trying to prove how much you know and how everybody else is wrong. You have a bit of a thing for me at the moment, and I'm hugely flattered, but I'm not interested in the biggest dick competition you seem to be playing.

You appear to be right with the average games thing - 63 games between 2007 and 2010. He averaged like 10 games a season before that. Either way - not good enough for a first grader, incredibly poor value for money.

Happy with the $150,000 investment this year mate?

Johns Magic

Referee
Clint Newton to the Knights, while De Gois is being thrown big bucks by Cronulla.

WESTS Tigers are bracing for big changes up front, with long-serving duo Bryce Gibbs and Liam Fulton free to negotiate elsewhere and veteran prop Todd Payten believed to be eyeing retirement.

The fascinating developments at Concord headline a frenetic recruitment period that will also end with Darius Boyd, Kade Snowden and possibly Clint Newton in Knights colours next year.

While Tigers CEO Stephen Humphreys declined to comment, club insiders last night confirmed Gibbs and Fulton had been granted permission to talk to rival clubs as the joint venture moves to tie up boom forwards Aaron Woods, Andrew Fifita and Matt Groat.

Both Gibbs and Fulton have a year to run on their current contracts, and their preliminary exits would free up cap space for the Tigers to not only maintain their cubs but also finalise a deal with Melbourne superstar Adam Blair.

Having endured a horror injury run over the past 18 months, Payten is also thinking about giving the game away a year early.

Gibbs and Fulton's agent is understood to have commenced talks with Cronulla, who have also held preliminary discussions with Ben Ross as they prepare for life after Snowden and Titans-bound Luke Douglas.

The Sharks also made a significant play for Woods, but Wests are close to re-signing the 20-year-old local junior. They've also taken up an option to extend Fifita's contract for another 12 months.

Elsewhere, Boyd is free to follow Wayne Bennett to Newcastle after rejecting Gold Coast's offer yesterday.

Here's the latest from around the clubs:

Newcastle
Snowden's signature is a formality, with the prop desperate to return home. The newly capped Kangaroo has spent two weekends in Newcastle over the past month, the most recent coming after last Friday's Test.
The big surprise, however, is the secret negotiations to bring favourite sons Clint Newton and Danny Buderus back. Buderus's return could complicate negotiations with current rake Isaac de Gois, who is weighing up a big offer to return to Cronulla.

Gold Coast
Beau Champion is odds-on to follow Jamal Idris, Luke Douglas and Aidan Sezer to the holiday strip in 2012, along with Roosters star Nate Myles.
The Titans are also on the look-out for a new hooker to replace Warriors-bound Nathan Friend. Expect Roosters utility Anthony Watts or Panthers rake Masada Iosefa to come into the reckoning.

Cronulla
Staring at a blank front-row for 2012, the Sharks are fishing for replacements in Gibbs, Ross and also Trent Waterhouse, who will finish his career at Penrith this season.

Parramatta's Justin Poore could also be a candidate, despite being contracted for another year at the Eels. Poore is a South Coast homebody who'd appreciate the shorter commute to Woolooware.

Parramatta
Officials are very quietly confident they can sneak under Manly's guard and beat the Bulldogs for the signature of in-demand teen Will Hopoate. There's also a push to bring David Williams - one of a host of Eels juniors playing elsewhere - home.
After shelling out big bucks for Chris Sandow, coach Stephen Kearney wants further reinforcement at the scrumbase and Ben Roberts is firmly in the mix.
Their cause will be helped by the retirement of Paul Whatuira last week.

Rabbitohs
Rocked by the loss of Sandow, Souths are now scrambling for a fresh halves combination as John Sutton prepares to revert to the back-row under Michael Maguire next year.

Another student of Maguire, Brett Finch, has told friends he'll only return to the NRL if he's playing outside an established half, and out-of-favour Raiders Matt Orford is on very close terms with the former Wigan mentor.

The Rabbitohs are also believed to have made inquiries about James Maloney, but New Zealand will exercise an option to keep the playmaker in Auckland in lieu of Brett Seymour's contract finishing this year. Souths have been savaged for re-signing Sutton, but the club kept him for a song under the salary cap after the long-service player discount was applied.

Roosters
The feather duster is hovering over Anthony Minichiello, Mark Riddell and Phil Graham, along with Myles and Watts. Their departure would clear the decks for an 11th-hour bid for Blair, who is still to formally sign for Wests despite mail suggesting it's a done deal.

Veteran prop Jason Ryles has a one-year option that's triggered by playing a certain amount of games, but don't expect coach Brian Smith to become embroiled in another Kirk Reynoldson stand-off. He and Ryles are extremely close.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...-veteran-big-men/story-e6frfgbo-1226052898891

I wouldn't complain if we got Gibbs or Fulton either to be honest, depending on who else we get. Certainly no priority though.

Alex28

Coach
The guy is a traitor in my eyes. Things got too hard and he walked out on us. His father bad mouthed us for years after.

Tinkler's not getting him back for his ability. He's getting him back as a feel good fuzzy moment for the club. But at full strength I couldn't see him getting a start in the top 17 at the moment.

Johns Magic

Referee
The guy is a traitor in my eyes. Things got too hard and he walked out on us.

Brian Smith pushed him, like he pushed Buderus, Reynoldson, Perry, Woolnough, Snowden et al. There was a lot of bad blood at that time, I can't really blame anyone for how they acted and prefer to recall Smith's time here as a necessary evil where toes were trod on. Even Bedsy was lashing out in the papers.

Whether Newton being shown the door was the right decision or the wrong decision, I don't have an opinion on anymore and don't care this far down the track.

His father bad mouthed us for years after.

Unfortunate, but I won't hold a father's actions against his son.

Tinkler's not getting him back for his ability. He's getting him back as a feel good fuzzy moment for the club. But at full strength I couldn't see him getting a start in the top 17 at the moment.

Newton was a good player, he was no Tanner or Carmont. If it was those names I would agree with you. There is a reason Bellamy took him on as soon as he left here, and in 2005 he was simply outstanding.

I don't watch any ESL, but I am led to believe that Newton is absolutely killing it over there. A quick check of his stats on the competition website makes for some impressive reading.

There are a bunch of our forwards I would take him over, and without knowing who exactly will be at the club next year yet, all I can say is if he was coming off the bench for us I think he could be a very good contributor.

Obviously I am not saying I'm desperate for him to be here...but I do think it could be an astute signing if it occurs.

K-Man

Bench
Yeah pretty much agree with you regarding Newton, JM. At the very least he would look like he wanted to be out there charging at the opposition, unlike a certain other left side backrower we currently have in the starting lineup.

Alex28

Coach
We are already pretty strong in second rowers and we are looking to sign more, where I see we are potentially very weak in the centre department. Our priorities seem a little all over the place at the moment.

It all hinges on whether Boyd comes here or not. If he does, then De Gois goes and Buderus comes. If he doesn't, then De Gois stays and we don't necessarily have the need for Buderus (mind you he's probably going to sign for base salary with a heap of third party agreements).

One thing is for sure...if we are buying back the farm, we are not going to burn a local like Pato to get them here. No matter how unmotivated and average he is at the moment, his position must be incredibly safe.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Jeez I really dont know about Newton coming back

Its been a long time since 2007 but his attitude, sense of self importance and entitlement really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I guess Im willing to give him a second chance but it would have to be a really good value deal

Johns Magic

Referee
We are chasing Will Hopoate according to reports, so we are looking for a centre.

I wouldn't want to get rid of Pato until he's played under Bennett.

I think it'll be easier to comment on prospective signings when we've secured a few and have a vague idea of what spots need filling.

Interesting times ahead.

K-Man

Bench
I think at the moment it's a case of trying to work out what's happening with the big contracts (Snowden, Boyd, De Gois, Myles etc) and how they all fit in, then attention will turn to bolstering the positions that need it i.e. centre

My feeling is that we are going to end up signing A LOT of new players for next year and cutting an equal amount of dead wood, but after the Snowden, Boyd type deals are done there will be a whole new recruitment drive aimed at cheap players Bennett thinks he can get the best out of, and all new rumours will begin but they will be about the likes of Tomane, Esi Tonga, Kane Linnett, and absolutely anyone that ever played for the Knights previously or once drove through the Hunter and said "this looks nice".

If we lose Wes and Kevin Naiqama, Mad Dog, Lulia, and McDonnell, then we absolutely MUST buy a minimum of 2 more players capable of playing centre. That's even assuming we re-sign Sau and that him and Likiliki are the starting centres, which is not guaranteed.

Centres will be on the agenda, no doubt about it.

Johns Magic

Referee
I dunno, I reckon Fulton has one of the best football brains around to go with his high work ethic and ballplaying skills.

A more skilful version of Hilder, perhaps with slightly less grunt. If he was the size of your average backrower he would be a great player.

Regardless, I can't see a spot for Hilder and Fulton in the same squad, and I can't see us cutting Hilder to sign Fulton.

Status
Not open for further replies.