What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJG 182

Juniors
Exactly. Would rather take the gamble for some one great to come along than spend money on the guaranteed average at best player that Poore is.

Whats Doing

Bench
Difficult one. Poore is average at best but better than we have at present behind Mase and Snowie.

Do we marginally improve our playing squad or take a gamble that someone will come on the market or that Korbin will rise to the requisite standard in the front row first year our of NYC

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Personally think buying Poore is buying more of the same of what we already have seen this year from our front row rotation. That said, he might prove alright coming off the bench if Bennett can get the absolute best out of him. Obviously the money his manager will be looking for and the money he is worth will be Worlds apart. Super League bound???

CJG 182

Juniors
Looking at it as a Risk vs Reward situation for Poore I think the reward is extremely marginal.

We need Poore to play at his absolute best to justify buying him.
This could potentially delay development of a junior or even cost us a junior.

Also look at the likelyhood of him hitting his peak vs the investment (money and roster spot). Poor odds.

Would not bet on it working out with my money or anyone else's.

Spot On

Coach
Radio this arvo claimed Poore is on 400k a season.

Now that is f**king funny. Nearly as bad as paying Snowden whatever he is on. Poore can piss off if he wants much more than than half of that current 400K and that is being very generous.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Radio this arvo claimed Poore is on 400k a season.

I could be wrong, but it wouldnt surprise me if the 400K he has been earning over the last few years has affected his performance. If he was on 150K per year, it would be likely that he'd be doing his best to increase his worth the next time his contract comes around. Whilst he's pulling in close to 10K per week, the motivation to increase his wealth could easily be reduced. Plus he's played rep footy before so his manager can simply bring that up to SL clubs when the new contract comes around.

If he was to sign with the knights, I'd want it to be on a contract worth under 200K. What he's offered over the last couple of years is undeserving of anything higher. Probably closer to 100K would be more accurate.

macavity

Referee
Possible we will take him for the rest of his contract and the Eels will be making a big contribution? Apparently he isn't a popular man at Parra (personality clashes, he is a sensitive guy) - they might want him gone.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Nah mate, he's off contract now

Oh and his contract was worth $1M over 3 years which is roughly $330K a season, not $400K

I hope we offer him an incentive based 12 month deal if we want the best out of Poore. While i argue he is a solid player i can also agree he is a risk. A long term deal is not a good idea. Willie backed himself and is getting his worth. No reason Willie can't add another season to his 2 yr deal if he is still up for it. Poore is not in Willie's postcode.

Spot On

Coach
Wow, some classic quotes in that article:

"Justin Poore is one of the best front rowers in the NRL and we're very pleased that he has chosen to join us,'' Eels acting chief executive Andrew Hill said

"It's been some time since the Eels have signed a State of Origin player, so to do so now is another indicator of the strength of the club and our future.

Interestingly Bennett was only prepared to go to 275K for him back then and stood firm on it - and he was an origin player at the time.

Wayne must be giggling. He can pick him up very cheap now. Shows yet again Bennett's stance on paying peanuts for props is the way to go. The pay packet Snowden is on must irk him daily.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Snowden has also had a history of back problems which could very likely impact his performance. I'd like to see how he goes next year after a good offseason. As was said earlier, the potential is there so I'm happy to wait it out before passing judgement on whether he is a good investment or not.

Spot On

Coach
I too hope he improves. If he doesn't, we are going to have the same problems with go forward most of us have been lamenting for years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts