What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johns Magic

Referee
They still have finch,it will be a straight swap no real big lose for storm.

Would not be surprised if Finchie ends up playing more then widdop now.

Finch will be 33 and was planning on retirement at the end of this year. Widdop leaving may change that I guess, we'll have to wait and see

Not sure where to put this, but with Widdop signing with the Dragons I wonder what chance there is that Kurt Mann will become the fourth member of the Storm spine.

Wasn't Kurt Mann playing fullback in a rep game this weekend? Widdop moving to The Dragons surprises me. I thought he would stay at Melbourne. We will see just how good he is when he goes to the dragons when Bellamy isn't telling him where to stand, when to run, when to pass etc. Look at Adam Blair as an example of players being overrated and failing outside of Melbourne's meticulously structured play. I don't doubt Blair can play, but when you move out of a club where the coach makes crystal clear your job and how you get it done, to a club which is known for it's off the cuff football, it would be hard to adjust. Blair literally went to the polar opposite club as far as playing style goes.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Widdop played most of hs NYC career at fullback.

Mann looked good in a shitty Qld U20s side tonight. Not sure he is ready for FG though

Toohey claims we are after Greg Eastwood. I have heard similar but we have Smith and Scott on good coin so Wayne will need to use his ambition over money aura he used at Brisbane so well.

Silent Knight

First Grade
At the very least he'll tell opposing players to get off his lawn, he'll paint the town red and he'll avenge any mate who got lynched.

Where does eastwood sit in our plans though?

I would be happy if he was a direct replacement for costigan, but where does that leave guys like Sims and Frei?

Housten seems like the weak link in our back rowers.. With cuthbertson and mckinnon both on the up in their careers with both getting rep honours, its hard to see a future spot for house.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

I would be happy if he was a direct replacement for costigan, but where does that leave guys like Sims and Frei?

Housten seems like the weak link in our back rowers.. With cuthbertson and mckinnon both on the up in their careers with both getting rep honours, its hard to see a future spot for house.

Eastwood would be a good pick-up I reckon, but I don't think signing him would mean Housten would lose his spot. Every team needs a forward workhorse and for mine Housten does that better than anyone in our side. If you take him out of the picture we have quite a few guys who can add some impact and intimidation but not too many guys who pump out 40+ tackles and 10+ hit-ups a game consistently.

I know House isn't a flashy player, doesn't have much in the way of ball playing skill or offloads, or even line breaking ability. But he does tend to provide a solid platform of work ethic week in week out, and comparatively he doesn't make many errors or give away many penalties these days. Not to mention his experience and influence on the younger members of the squad cannot be discounted.

IMO House should be one of the last players to lose his spot if we brought someone like Eastwood into the frame.

So who loses their spot then? If there are no injuries we would have
Housten
Smith
Scott
McKinnon
Cuthbetson
Eastwood
Sims
Faalogo

If we roll with a utility hooker on the bench that means 2 of those guys miss out on a spot. It's a good position to be in.

Eastwood can play prop so he would be good for our prop rotation.

If gids can play 80 min at hooker our pack could be

8. Mason
9. Gidley
10. Snowden
11. Scott
12. Houston
13. Smith

14. Mckinnon
15. Cuthbertson
16. Eastwood
17. Sims/faalogo

That's a good pack.

Eastwood was all but ready to sign with The Dogs then allegedly hesitated! Sound familiar. I still think we will need to pay overs to get him. Houston was close to signing with Panthers last year.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade

I can stomach Houston in the team if he plays as a lock, ie high work rate and playing as a third front rower. I really am not a fan of him playing in the second row however as he doesn't bump off players and has next to no offload. What makes the situation difficult is the fact that Smith is our lock forward. I really just wish Houston could be taught how to create options as opposed to breaking down the play when an attacking raid looks promising.

Fingerbang

Bench
Are you guys planning to cut Robbie Rochow next year, or just don't think he is good enough for a regular spot in the 17?

I have been impressed with his work rate.

Status
Not open for further replies.