What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

slotmachine

First Grade
Our best signing this season has been Willie Mason, and he's 32!

Been on holiday for the last two seasons. Fresh as a daisy.

JT, Smith, Slater, Cronk all 29 this year - they're pushing the magic '30' and they are still the best players in the game.

With the exception of Smith, all backs.

The best forwards in the game - Gallen (31 this year), Ashley Harrison (31), David Shillington (29), Luke Lewis (29 this year), Glenn Stewart (28), Greg Bird (28 this year), Ben Hannant (28 this year) are all close to 30.

And are all at their peak now, if not on the way back down.

Plenty of players, especially forwards, can provide some very good years of service, even if they are only two or three years, once they get past 30.

True, but the NRL is not kind to old forwards, and we're going to have plenty.

Here's a list of fowards 31 or older in the NRL. It's pretty short. You couldn't say any of them are improving in form, or getting less injuries. And a few of them are retiring at the end of the year.

Petero Civoniceva
Danny Buderus
Joe Galuvao
Nathan Hindmarsh
Fuifui Moimoi
Luke Bailey
Ray Cashmere
Jason Ryles
Mark Minichiello
Jeremy Smith
Willie Mason
Ben Ross
Michael Crocker
Brent Kite
Glenn Hall
Jason King
Gareth Ellis
Ashley Harrison
Clint Newton
Paul Gallen

Would be nice to pick up some young guys whose best years are ahead of them.

Stick

Juniors
I think the best way I could put it, in my opinion, is that his strengths in union are actually more suited to league, and his limitations in union wouldn't be as detrimental in league.

This is accurate. The reason why he cripples a union backline is his lack of pace, it wouldn't be as severe a problem in rugby league; plenty of successful less-than-lightning centres and backrowers.

He's a personality player but a cleanskin off the field. I love to hate him but I would agree he'd be better at League than Union. Good defender at the very least.

I still wouldn't pay much more than a pittance for him though.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't get why everybody is so hung up on the age of a player.

Our best signing this season has been Willie Mason, and he's 32!

JT, Smith, Slater, Cronk all 29 this year - they're pushing the magic '30' and they are still the best players in the game. The best forwards in the game - Gallen (31 this year), Ashley Harrison (31), David Shillington (29), Luke Lewis (29 this year), Glenn Stewart (28), Greg Bird (28 this year), Ben Hannant (28 this year) are all close to 30.

Not every player has to be a ten year club veteran. In fact, in today's game, that's extremely unlikely. Plenty of players, especially forwards, can provide some very good years of service, even if they are only two or three years, once they get past 30.

I'm not saying we need to start getting every 30 year old on a five year deal but if you are good enough, you are young enough.

Mason is a great signing because of 2 things, his price and our need for a prop, but in saying that I'd be very hesitant to give him a 3 year deal unless it was for not much money (Mase would be less money driven than Smith because he's already made millions from his career, Smith hasn't). All those blokes you listed are younger than Smith and TBH I don't give us much hope next year, say Smith flops we're stuck with another Wes situation

RHCP

Bench
Petero Civoniceva
Danny Buderus
Joe Galuvao
Nathan Hindmarsh
Fuifui Moimoi
Luke Bailey
Ray Cashmere
Jason Ryles
Mark Minichiello
Jeremy Smith
Willie Mason
Ben Ross
Michael Crocker
Brent Kite
Glenn Hall
Jason King
Gareth Ellis
Ashley Harrison
Clint Newton
Paul Gallen

Would be nice to pick up some young guys whose best years are ahead of them.
It would be nice, but it isn't realistic.

Excluding the retirees and a couple of nuffies, almost any of them on a two year deal would bolster up our pack.

aqua_duck said:
Mason is a great signing because of 2 things, his price and our need for a prop, but in saying that I'd be very hesitant to give him a 3 year deal unless it was for not much money (Mase would be less money driven than Smith because he's already made millions from his career, Smith hasn't). All those blokes you listed are younger than Smith and TBH I don't give us much hope next year, say Smith flops we're stuck with another Wes situation
Smith is getting on a bit, risky purchase if it's for a lengthy period or if there are no options. But I definitely wouldn't be disapproving of a deal with Tom Carter or David Stagg because of their respective ages, or any player 30 or younger really.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Tom Carter? Are you guys serious?

I would not be looking to Union, especially anyone playing for the Tahs. Carter is shite

Bicey_18

Bench
David Stagg seems like he will be next year. His name continues to come up.

Jeremy Smith returning to the Dragons? Or will he head to Newcastle to reunite with Wayne?

justagamemate

Juniors
If we are too look at anyone from Union why not Barnes? I know Wayne coached him back at the Broncos and rated him highly.
He can play in the halves or replace Tahu in the centres when he retires.

Johns Magic

Referee
Tom Carter? Are you guys serious?

I would not be looking to Union, especially anyone playing for the Tahs. Carter is shite

I'm not saying I'm keen on him. I'm just saying he might be a decent candidate for a switch.

At the right price I could see the upside in signing him. I mean realistically, we signed Mark Wade who was a park union player and Mark Taufua who wasn't much more. Taufua went alright for us, and Carter is miles ahead of where he was in union.

In any case, you'd be crazy to sign a convert for much more than a fringe contract and I doubt someone who had a pretty solid Super 15 career would bother for that amount.

Joker's Wild

Coach
That's the truth of it JM. Tafua and Wade were low risk as they were park footy players who would have demanded bugger all coin

No matter how shit Carter was, he'd be asking way too much for a high risk flop.

Nuffy

Bench
My contact tells me he's keen to play NRL and would do it for a pittance.

My contacts view is that he'll end up at the rorters as it will suit his lifestyle best.

Nuffy

Bench
Is it just me or have we hit a wall recruitment wise?

Right now we we have a host off contract, some already let go and so far we've signed Scott. Forget Lewis, he's a pipe dream.

Right now we are a substantial number of players short for next year for our top 25.

Might be time to get a move on Benny!

Rod

Bench
I don't see why Lewis should be a pipe dream, he has to play for someone, why shouldn't it be us?

We now have the money and the off-field clout that we can at the very least be in the running for these kind of signing opportunities.

RABK

Referee
Don't quote me on this but my mate reckon Sau's close to signing with the Eels and we'll be paying half of his 200k salary. It effectively frees up only 100k if true.

Adsy

Juniors
And we then have to replace his spot in the top 25 with someone else on $55K minimum. So if that's the case it would only really make us max $45K better off cap space wise.

Is it just me or have we hit a wall recruitment wise?

Right now we we have a host off contract, some already let go and so far we've signed Scott. Forget Lewis, he's a pipe dream.

Right now we are a substantial number of players short for next year for our top 25.

Might be time to get a move on Benny!

Glad I am not the only one, and the fact we are looking at Stagg and Smith for multi year deals sort of goes against the building for the future.....

Flanagan has said today Jeremy Smith is going nowehere and they can still make a play for Lewis. On top of that the cap goes up to 5 million potentially depending on the TV deal. If we play this right and Bennett can do what bennett does best we can get this fella. I think finding the money is not the biggest issue for us. Lewis is a Westie through and through and he may not want out of Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...out-cash-later-lewis-told-20120711-21wdy.html

Last edited:
His Mrs is a massive socialite as well apparently so I sincerely don't think he'll be leaving Sydney.

Sharks for mine, or Parra if he really wants to piss them off.

First Grade
This was just posted in the nrl rumoured signings thread
"Key sources telling me Chris Houston -> Penrith Panthers, 3 year deal."

Status
Not open for further replies.