What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

For us that’s defence. The best attacking side (Melbourne) only scored an extra 2 points per game. Meanwhile we conceded 6.6 points per game more than Penrith. That should be our focus. Hopefully we find some defensive toilers among the new recruits.
So we didn't score as many points as Melbourne, which means we can improve there. I'm not suggesting it's a priority but it's an area that could be improved.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So we didn't score as many points as Melbourne, which means we can improve there. I'm not suggesting it's a priority but it's an area that could be improved.
They had much better attacking players than we do. Munster, Grant and Smith are all awesome. If Papenhuyzen had played the full year I reckon they would have won it.

yy_cheng

Coach
This discussion derived from hodgo s including in the team compared to rheeds wide passing.

The more tries you score, the less time the opposition has the ball

Of course it doesn't matter where the try starts from but there is a psychological effect when you're always in the opposition 20 and can't score

They had much better attacking players than we do. Munster, Grant and Smith are all awesome. If Papenhuyzen had played the full year I reckon they would have won it.
Yeah maybe. Rosters matter. But the original discussion was about scoring inside the 20 or out. I don't think those players you mention have much different effect either way.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
This discussion derived from hodgo s including in the team compared to rheeds wide passing.

The more tries you score, the less time the opposition has the ball

Of course it doesn't matter where the try starts from but there is a psychological effect when you're always in the opposition 20 and can't score
There’s also a physical effect from controlling the ball. You wear the opposition down.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Yeah maybe. Rosters matter. But the original discussion was about scoring inside the 20 or out. I don't think those players you mention have much different effect either way.
Well we scored one more try than Penrith, with the same 52% possession as them. Melbourne scored one more try than we did with 51%

I don’t remember us scoring an especially high number of long range tries. But if you think the opposition converted possession inside the 20 better than we did it’s because when you were watching it was usually against our ordinary defence.

Over 24 rounds, against all teams (including the top defensive sides) nobody attacked much better than we did. I mean they might have, inside the 20, but the evidence doesn’t support it. I’d say we scored a lot from kicks, but that includes inside the 20, and they are still worth four points. When you have a good kicker you should use him. Souths don’t have a good kicker. We do.

Last edited:
Well we scored one more try than Penrith, with the same 52% possession as them. Melbourne scored one more try than we did with 51%

I don’t remember us scoring an especially high number of long range tries. But if you think the opposition converted possession inside the 20 better than we did it’s because when you were watching it was usually against our ordinary defence.

Over 24 rounds, against all teams (including the top defensive sides) nobody attacked much better than we did. I mean they might have, inside the 20, but the evidence doesn’t support it. I’d say we scored a lot from kicks, but that includes inside the 20, and they are still worth four points. When you have a good kicker you should use him. Souths don’t have a good kicker. We do.
I don't even know what the stats are and aren't claiming that we convert less often when we get inside the 20. But I know that's what they did show not too long ago. So I'm not arguing the stats, only that (you'll love this) we should be more granular. Break it down and work on various areas to see improvement.

hindy111

Post Whore

Lol. Penrith would of smashed them. They couldn't even beat Canberra at home. You saw what we did to Canberra and what Penrith did to us.
Storm limped into the finals. Paps wasn't turning them into a premiership side.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol. Penrith would of smashed them. They couldn't even beat Canberra at home. You saw what we did to Canberra and what Penrith did to us.
Storm limped into the finals. Paps wasn't turning them into a premiership side.
We were strong against Canberra and weak in the grand final. We were better in week one against Penrith, and week two last year. The grand final was our worst finals performance since 2019. Our only good performance was at home vs Canberra, and they were poor. Rarely are both teams at their best.

But yes, Melbourne were also missing Welch.

Last edited:

lucablight

First Grade
We were strong against Canberra and weak in the grand final. We were better in week one against Penrith, and week two last year. The grand final was our worst finals performance since 2019. Our only good performance was at home vs Canberra, and they were poor. Rarely are both teams at their best.
Penrith were pretty banged up during the finals in 2021. Might explain why every game was so close. They were fresh as daisies last season.

hindy111

Post Whore

But yes, Melbourne were also missing Welch.

Penrith would of blown them off the park by 40+ You're on drugs if think Paps and Welch change them to a premiership side.