What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

oldmancraigy

Coach
The problem is that our juniors aren't ready and there is no guarantee that better players will be available for the price we paid for them

It's easy to say we just go out and buy better players, it doesn't work that way

Doorey played OK at the start offensively but I think it was obvious that BA didn't like his defence which was why he was banished to Cup and Davies came in. Hopefully, Dorey's defense can improve next season.

Also, didn't Davies defend in the middle when he came on ? That's not Doorey's job.

While this is true, I'm of the understanding other teams also have juniors.
$$ talks. And going into the season with 3 empty roster spots appears to have backfired spectacularly. We would have been better off playing young guys to give them a taste of firsts (given we didn't make the 8 anyway).

Promoting our own juniors may well be our only option once the season begins, but it's about a process and a cycle. If a coach has been in the hotseat for 10 years, then their process and cycle is in play. They have the team they want. And what appears clear is that our process and cycle is to bring in older heads and wait for our own juniors.

An alternative methodology is to use 3-5 top 30 spots to continually poach juniors from other clubs. Pay NRL minimum salary for the more talented 18 year olds (or force other clubs to do the same), and therefore have some young guys ready to take a look at should the need arise. They aren't waltzing into first grade, but if they are taking up spots 25-30 then we most likely aren't going to use them - unless they stand out in the lower grades.

(also Davey did mostly play out wide - he was a desperation signing because we had just lost Lane again, RCG was out, Matto was first game back, and Doorey had been a revolving door defensively. Totally agree that Doorey needs to work on his defence)

hindy111

Post Whore
Salary cap bites Penrith, they lose Origin reps like Api and Capewell as well as Kikau and a few others.... They promote from within (mostly) and win premierships back to back to back....

Salary cap bites Eels who've won nothing and we lose an above average first grader (Rheed), and a few honest toilers in Kaufusi, Stone and Niukore.... We go and buy a broken down Hodgson and bring a part time carpenter/footballer (Davey) back to the club and miss the 8 altogether...

Bad luck and no resources strikes again...

Exactly. We had one good year and couldn't hold onto many guys. Penrith have had 4 exceptional years and keep backing it up finding project players or quality juniors

TheRam

Coach
Not revisionist for me. I mentioned probably start of 2022 if not prior that both Farnworth and the Hammer should have been targeted. Hammer would have come at that stage to play any position in first grade seeing as he was flat out making the top 17 at the Cowboys. One of these 2 would have been great, both would have been sublime... and both would have cost significantly less at that time than they are on the current/next deal...

Anyways, the R&R committee know what they're doing....

EDIT - searching back, I actually called for Farnworth and Hamiso to be signed as far back as March and April 2021 respectively. Sometimes even I underestimate my eye for talent....

Ahem...excuse me but...

Rumours and Stuff

I love Herbie he is one of my favourite players. Would be a great pickup. He should only get better. Sure he ain't Staggs, but who is and no chance in the world of getting him.
And...

Rumours and Stuff

Or if we were to lose Fergo, maybe Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow would be a good pickup. He would give us some much needed speed and he is only still a baby, I think turning 20 this year. He is 186cm and 90kg, so there is plenty of time for him to put on at least another 5kg by the time he fills out into...
I rest my case.

Incorrect

Coach
Ahem...excuse me but...

Rumours and Stuff

I love Herbie he is one of my favourite players. Would be a great pickup. He should only get better. Sure he ain't Staggs, but who is and no chance in the world of getting him.
And...

Rumours and Stuff

Or if we were to lose Fergo, maybe Hamiso Tabuai-Fidow would be a good pickup. He would give us some much needed speed and he is only still a baby, I think turning 20 this year. He is 186cm and 90kg, so there is plenty of time for him to put on at least another 5kg by the time he fills out into...
I rest my case.
Great minds ....

TheRam

Coach
Penisini, Brown and Moses would’ve all got hefty upgrades. Gutherson, Paulo, RCG, Matterson and Lane too. I reckon those eight merkins would be taking up half the cap. That leaves $6M for the remaining 22 players. There’s not much left for more stars. Minimum salary for 22 players is over $2.6M.

Remember the salary cap has also gone up merkin too.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Salary cap bites Penrith, they lose Origin reps like Api and Capewell as well as Kikau and a few others.... They promote from within (mostly) and win premierships back to back to back....

Salary cap bites Eels who've won nothing and we lose an above average first grader (Rheed), and a few honest toilers in Kaufusi, Stone and Niukore.... We go and buy a broken down Hodgson and bring a part time carpenter/footballer (Davey) back to the club and miss the 8 altogether...

Bad luck and no resources strikes again...
Exactly. Our junior spending between 2017 and now wasn’t maintained. Maybe Max Donnelly didn’t see the value in it, or maybe the money just wasn’t there. At Penrith Gould ensured the money was spent, going back to 2012 when he first got there and helped them secure funding.

EppingEel

Juniors
Can anyone else see Doorey coming back next year as our breakout player? I was impressed with his ball running and offloading, although he wasn't fit at all. With a full offseason to work on his fitness and defense, I think he's a smokey to become the next Matto (a second rower who eventually transitions to the middle, and a quality player)

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Remember the salary cap has also gone up merkin too.
I’m aware. When I talk about upgrades I mean relative to the cap. Just like how many players have ratchet clauses, even without them contracts are negotiated with a rising cap in mind. Players are valued as a percentage of the cap.

King-Gutho94

Coach
Can anyone else see Doorey coming back next year as our breakout player? I was impressed with his ball running and offloading, although he wasn't fit at all. With a full offseason to work on his fitness and defense, I think he's a smokey to become the next Matto (a second rower who eventually transitions to the middle, and a quality player)
Doorey should be better next year along with Joffa as well.

BA will have them Parrafit after a full-preseason and remove the losing stench they brought from the previous clubs in the Dogs & Tigers.

I think we are well placed to challenge for the top 4 again on the proviso everyone stays fit & players don't get themselves suspended for absolute stupidity.

I think missing the 8 altogether then just scraping in and bowing out week 1 or 2 will shift the attitude a bit and burn more.

The past 2 seasons we have played like a side waiting for the finals to come around and this year they never arrived.

Happy MEel

First Grade
Ahem...excuse me but...

Rumours and Stuff

And...

Rumours and Stuff

I rest my case.
Ahem…excuse me, but

IMG_3590.jpeg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Ahem...excuse me but...

Rumours and Stuff

And...

Rumours and Stuff

I rest my case.

well if you throw enough darts..........................

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

bit small for a middle I think

Height: 1.85 m
Weight: 100 kg (15 st 10 lb)

Tiger5150

Bench
Speaking of fools, how's the Kulcha of the Tigers going?
1697681057204.jpeg
_101750786_ke_getty.jpg

2f9f16876eb45e9082add7cf97775f3e
_44630360_barnhill_smashed_226170.jpg

Relatively well. We weed out the bad ones before they get past juniors and ever play a game for the mighty yet morally righteous Wests Tigers.

Last edited: