What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Exactly. If we want a junior first strategy (which I support) then we need to run that program with a couple of top experienced players from external for key roles plus an experienced coach.

Right now we have a completely useless inexperienced fool trying to act as a coach and thinks that aband aid of external fringe rejects from other clubs will make us great while he refuses to take a risk and so lets our gun juniors leave.

The Board have no clue. Steps to success:

1. Get a very experienced coach
2. Buy a world class 7 and 9 and also a couple of old tough as nuts seasoned forwards (like Jeremy smith and weyman and Scott did in 2010).
3. Build a dynasty around our brilliant juniors.

Not that hard doust.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Exactly. If we want a junior first strategy (which I support) then we need to run that program with a couple of top experienced players from external for key roles plus an experienced coach.

Right now we have a completely useless inexperienced fool trying to act as a coach and thinks that aband aid of external fringe rejects from other clubs will make us great while he refuses to take a risk and so lets our gun juniors leave.

2. Buy a world class 7 and 9 and also a couple of old tough as nuts seasoned forwards (like Jeremy smith and weyman and Scott did in 2010).

Not that hard doust.

Not that hard for anyone with a clue and a set of balls, that is.

BennyV

Referee

Not that hard doust.
The other piece is someone who can identify the right juniors to rely on. We spent years focussing on 'juniors' like Hunt, Rein, Quinlan, Stanley and so on, which became completely wasted years; in the meantime, we lost the likes of Bird, Hastings and so on.

Lethal25

Juniors
The other piece is someone who can identify the right juniors to rely on. We spent years focussing on 'juniors' like Hunt, Rein, Quinlan, Stanley and so on, which became completely wasted years; in the meantime, we lost the likes of Bird, Hastings and so on.
You're right, I was devastated when Matt Mundine left.......just joking

To be fair our junior retention hasn't been all that bad. Bird I agree but Hastings, hmmmmm. You have to go back quite a few years to find a set of kids coming through of the ability we see now. I think it was around 2009 when Whare, Linnett, Merrin emerged. Others like Beau Henry, Marketo, Joe Vickery and Fai Fai Loa just didn't progress.

BennyV

Referee

To be fair our junior retention hasn't been all that bad. Bird I agree but Hastings, hmmmmm. You have to go back quite a few years to find a set of kids coming through of the ability we see now. I think it was around 2009 when Whare, Linnett, Merrin emerged. Others like Beau Henry, Marketo, Joe Vickery and Fai Fai Loa just didn't progress.
Yeah I know, but IMO it's been as much about who we've opted to retain - the decisions on the long term, high dollar deals to Dan Hunt, Mitch Rein and the like were as much as a gigantic f**k up as the loss of Bird.

And attitude aside, Hastings was a loss. At the time he left us he was one of the most promising juniors in the country, playing above his age group in a position we lacked in.

Lethal25

Juniors
Yeah I know, but IMO it's been as much about who we've opted to retain - the decisions on the long term, high dollar deals to Dan Hunt, Mitch Rein and the like were as much as a gigantic f**k up as the loss of Bird.

And attitude aside, Hastings was a loss. At the time he left us he was one of the most promising juniors in the country, playing above his age group in a position we lacked in.
As Geoff Toovey would say, there has to be an investigation!

The amount of money paid to Dan Hunt and Mitch Rein was criminal, I wholeheartedly agree with your view there.

Reactions: Qdf

Slippery Morris

First Grade

You can add the Stewart Brothers to that list. I am sure Saints would have loved to have had them in the squad in the mid 2000's. As for others, slim pickings. The Knights stole a few from memory. Cook was also a weird one for me. Why keep Rein and not Cook. The guy is so much better than Rein.

Reactions: Qdf

TruSaint

Referee

I agree overall, but in Dan's case i can understand the club keeping him on. I dont not what it cost us, ... was his time in the sideline covered by in insurance due to his illness ? Not sure . Mitch was given many a year to prove himself. No excuses there. Big bucks in a key position. I backed the kid for years, but he never got the basics right.

giboz71

First Grade
With the young talent we have in our books right now, we really can"t afford to screw this up. Dufty, Field, Herbert, Garrick, Leilua and co aren't sure things, and must be mentored and transitioned carefully into grade. This includes time in the Cutters as required.

With Mary, I have no confidence he can oversee this transition so a coach that can successfully mentor our juniors is an absolute must.

BennyV

Referee
I agree overall, but in Dan's case i can understand the club keeping him on. I dont not what it cost us, ... was his time in the sideline covered by in insurance due to his illness ? Not sure . Mitch was given many a year to prove himself. No excuses there. Big bucks in a key position. I backed the kid for years, but he never got the basics right.
Hunts contract wasnt an issue when he retired, it was 2011-2014 that was the problem - was signed by Craig Young on big dollars (as in, marquee prop dollars) and for longer term than any prop should be allowed, and struggled to ever come back from an ankle injury. That, coupled with a knee-jerk high-dollar long-term deal to Rein royally f**ked our salary cap for years.

BennyV

Referee
With the young talent we have in our books right now, we really can"t afford to screw this up. Dufty, Field, Herbert, Garrick, Leilua and co aren't sure things, and must be mentored and transitioned carefully into grade. This includes time in the Cutters as required.

With Mary, I have no confidence he can oversee this transition so a coach that can successfully mentor our juniors is an absolute must.
Theres a couple that I reckon are aure things for long, successful first grade careers (namely, Host and Herbert) but you're right, the rest will requore appropriate development and nurture, as well as being allowed the opportu ity when it comes and the freedom to take it.

Mary fails in basically all of the above.

TruSaint

Referee
Hunts contract wasnt an issue when he retired, it was 2011-2014 that was the problem - was signed by Craig Young on big dollars (as in, marquee prop dollars) and for longer term than any prop should be allowed, and struggled to ever come back from an ankle injury. That, coupled with a knee-jerk high-dollar long-term deal to Rein royally f**ked our salary cap for years.

i couldnt remember the time frame, so that makes sense. I felt he was out of the game longer.. fair call.

emu62

Juniors

Giboz. I would love to see all the young guys you mentioned run around in the Auckland nines.Imo it would be a great experience for them. If they make mistakes,miss tackles, who cares ? they will learn from it
Surely they cant play any worse than other teams we have sent over there.
Its only a month away & interested to see who McWrecker picks

giboz71

First Grade
Giboz. I would love to see all the young guys you mentioned run around in the Auckland nines.Imo it would be a great experience for them. If they make mistakes,miss tackles, who cares ? they will learn from it
Surely they cant play any worse than other teams we have sent over there.
Its only a month away & interested to see who McWrecker picks

The Nines is fine. It's a good introduction for the young guys with not a lot at stake.

But the key thing is we need a coach who can identify which guys are ready and which are not. Cleary and Bird for instance were ready from the get go and have benefitted immensely from FG experience.

Yet a guy like Cherry Evans spent a whole season in Qld cup before leading Manly to the premiership his rookie year. Every player's development is different and it's up to the coaching staff to manage it correctly.

blacksafake

First Grade

Yet 2 of the flops have been re-signed again in recent years.