What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW available for WCC

Springs

First Grade
24 is the limit. They can change the squad until the start of the tournament. Once it starts no one else can come in.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
24. No replacements for injuries either past a certain date (I think the 26th).

Really? I'm certain that players can be replaced. It's just the touring squad that changes.

I.e, say a player is injured for the tournament, someone from home can come and take their place in the squad.

Skram

Juniors
Case in point...

CNN World Sport: http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/08/sport/sonny-bill-williams-world-cup/index.html?eref=edition

Say what you like about the guy... He gets people's attention...

Ugh, this just reeks of megalomaniac Khoder Nasser wanting to ring a worldwide news agency and make a 'world exclusive' announcement.

As for the timing of the decision, coming after the 24-man squad had been named? "We're very spontaneous," he said.

F*ck off, you're managing professional athletes, not celebrities. Not only does this guy have no respect for rules he's really put the NZRL in a tough position, but probably didn't think twice about that.
I'm glad SBW has flip flopped but part of me just wants the NZRL to say "sorry but we needed to know by a deadline, you know, like professionals use" just to stick it to them that they don't make all the rules and aren't bigger than the team.

But then I also want the Kiwis to win and if I can support adopted Aussies playing for us then I can definitely support thick as pig sh*t, immensely talented, bonafide Kiwi's doing it too.

Bronco18

Juniors
Paul Kent was on Back Page tonight and pretty much summed up what it was all about. He's "back flipped" as a publicity stunt to try and get Yawnion second guessing that he'll stay in league, potentially pushing up his price. The whole Khoder Nasser circus uses the same tricks over and over.

Man he's been an amazing player for the NRL this year but he's really left a foul taste in my mouth. He'll come across as honest and humble in manufactured interviews but he's never really bought into the game, or at least, he's checked out early now that the real pay packet is done.

He did nothing to promote the game in the finals week, rocks up late to the Roosters fan day minus the Roosters gear and then treats the honour of national selection with disgusting disrespect.

Last edited:

reanimate

Bench
Yeah, this sounds like a marketing move from Nasser. Say he's not playing, get everyone all disappointed and wondering what he's going to do, then come out later and say he's playing, stirring up the media and getting everyone excited about his involvement and NZ's chances. Boosts his profile and the RLWC profile. Scummy, but genius.

Hindyscrack

Bench
While Im not too impressed by his antics... Something like this is going to draw a lot more attention the the RLWC, especially here in the UK and its Southern based media.#

If he rolls up, it will be a big coupe for the cup.

Already its generated headlines that and press that normally the tournament wouldn't have received.

Usain Bolt

Bench
I just think he's too scared to fight Joseph Parker. Lonergan offered him a million and he turned it down :lol:

ed313909

Juniors
Bloke didn't even tally in the Dally M's...... Not in the top 20 players of the NRL that would suggest.... He is a media circus. Definitely a good player but easily the most over rated player in the comp. But in saying that NZ would look better with him in the team.

ozenzud

Juniors
Well I have had plenty to say on SBW and pretty clear I am not a fan of the person. The player is good, but not as good as he is made out to be. No player, is that good.

I've moved through stages on this. Disbelief, through to confusion (i.e. is he really that dumb and flippant) to realisation.

I've now reached the point where I can see it is all one really, really bad, long running joke.

One must stand back in awe at his managment. They are truely great. Who else, would have the blatent disregard for us, the supporters of the game. Who else could be out there to come up with this scheme to boost the profile of their client.

Say nothing, to no-one for months. SBW must not care whether he plays in the world cup or not. That is obvious. It can't mean that much to him. He can't be that stupid/arrogant that doesn't realise that there is a real chance of the Kiwis saying no. I mean what other sport would say yes. Only League in its desperation for attention, would say yes. But they should say no.

So what is his motivation? The obvious answer is suggested above. Give the Union people palpitations and hope that he is coming their way, but make them as uncertain as league. Is he in, is he out. Push up the profile, push up the uncertainty, the price and boost the egos all round. That, can be the only logical explanation for this.

If that is right, how cynical, mercenary and brazen can Nasser be? He is clever, but absolutely stupid at the same time.

My own view, is I want him out so that we can concentrate on the football and not have journalism more suited to the Womans Weekly or New Idea, or News of the World covering the world cup. It just drags the sport down. Its a great game and there are plenty of great players. This circus is just so distracting. I just want the drama of the footy.

Say no and lets move on. Please!

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Bloke didn't even tally in the Dally M's...... Not in the top 20 players of the NRL that would suggest....Definitely a good player but easily the most over rated player in the comp.

:lol: It's sad how people so desperately want this to be true :lol:

Stick to what he does wrong off-field, there's plenty of fodder there

He did nothing to promote the game in the finals week, rocks up late to the Roosters fan day minus the Roosters gear and then treats the honour of national selection with disgusting disrespect.

It's not his f**king job to promote the finals, are you serious with this shit? His job was to play the best footy he could and stay focused during the most important month of the season and he stood up each time when he needed.

Not a single roosters fan gave a toss that he missed whatever fan day it was in a park lol There was an event earlier in the year for us long term members where they said players would be there and half of them didn't. No one cares that he turned up wearing a singlet 12 hours after we won the comp. he got the biggest cheer at the ground and back at the club.

no name

Coach
Watching that interview with Gus changed my perspective on SBW a bit, was glad to see him apologise to the Dogs, plus give an insight to who he is and what he is about.
But then he goes and does selfish shit like this. There may be a good explanation for it but until that comes to light he looks like an A grade f**kwit.

Latest posts