What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SBW available for WCC

RedVee

First Grade
Well I have had plenty to say on SBW and pretty clear I am not a fan of the person. The player is good, but not as good as he is made out to be. No player, is that good.

I've moved through stages on this. Disbelief, through to confusion (i.e. is he really that dumb and flippant) to realisation.

I've now reached the point where I can see it is all one really, really bad, long running joke.

One must stand back in awe at his managment. They are truely great. Who else, would have the blatent disregard for us, the supporters of the game. Who else could be out there to come up with this scheme to boost the profile of their client.

Say nothing, to no-one for months. SBW must not care whether he plays in the world cup or not. That is obvious. It can't mean that much to him. He can't be that stupid/arrogant that doesn't realise that there is a real chance of the Kiwis saying no. I mean what other sport would say yes. Only League in its desperation for attention, would say yes. But they should say no.

So what is his motivation? The obvious answer is suggested above. Give the Union people palpitations and hope that he is coming their way, but make them as uncertain as league. Is he in, is he out. Push up the profile, push up the uncertainty, the price and boost the egos all round. That, can be the only logical explanation for this.

If that is right, how cynical, mercenary and brazen can Nasser be? He is clever, but absolutely stupid at the same time.

My own view, is I want him out so that we can concentrate on the football and not have journalism more suited to the Womans Weekly or New Idea, or News of the World covering the world cup. It just drags the sport down. Its a great game and there are plenty of great players. This circus is just so distracting. I just want the drama of the footy.

Say no and lets move on. Please!

Say no and then he gets a free kick to move to Union. "They pushed me out" "RL didn't show me respect" Yada Yada Yada

Fast Eddie

First Grade
At least he people talking about the World Cup, front page news etc A ton of people wouldn't have even known it was on and outside of the relatively small group of International league fans the WC would barely be on the radar until it started.

ozenzud

Juniors
Fast Eddie, for once I agree with something you've said.

It is on the BBC website and I even checked the New York Times website.

I just can't work out whether this is a jackup, planned from day one and the NZRL is in on it, or its just some random behaviour. Whatever it is, it is truely bizarre.

Bronco18

Juniors
It's not his f**king job to promote the finals, are you serious with this shit? His job was to play the best footy he could and stay focused during the most important month of the season and he stood up each time when he needed.

Not a single roosters fan gave a toss that he missed whatever fan day it was in a park lol There was an event earlier in the year for us long term members where they said players would be there and half of them didn't. No one cares that he turned up wearing a singlet 12 hours after we won the comp. he got the biggest cheer at the ground and back at the club.

Woah, calm down buddy. You won the premiership, no reason for the tizzy.

I'm just saying, other senior players were out there doing their bit, but $BW, let's face it, the player of the season, was nowhere to be seen. There would've been pressure stacked on him to be out there had he been any other player of his calibre, but because he's brand SBW and a law unto himself. The NRL was begging for him to be noticed when Buddy Franklin was backpage for days on end in Sydney but he was nowhere to be sighted. Because he's such a special talent, he can hold the game to ransom and it really spits in the face of everyone else who would be happy to play football for a living.

Some Roosters fans may or may not care about him being late but jeeze, it's actions like this that show his apologies are meaningless - he doesn't care about the game, it's about brand $BW. Again when he holds the WC's credibility to ransom with his antics, it's similar.

Cletus

First Grade
Paul Kent was on Back Page tonight and pretty much summed up what it was all about. He's "back flipped" as a publicity stunt to try and get Yawnion second guessing that he'll stay in league, potentially pushing up his price. The whole Khoder Nasser circus uses the same tricks over and over.

Man he's been an amazing player for the NRL this year but he's really left a foul taste in my mouth. He'll come across as honest and humble in manufactured interviews but he's never really bought into the game, or at least, he's checked out early now that the real pay packet is done.

He did nothing to promote the game in the finals week, rocks up late to the Roosters fan day minus the Roosters gear and then treats the honour of national selection with disgusting disrespect.

They were saying he had boxing commitments which is the classic Nasser line. Even Fergo was going to take up boxing, im sure theyre scouring rehab clinics for a suitable opponwnt.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
There is nothing sadder or more embarrassing than to see grown men have a crush on a footballer. The amount of jizz that roosters fans have spilt over this bloke is f**king embarrassing.

You should shoot yourselves.

Canard

Immortal
Clearly a pre-arranged boxing match has fallen through or the money for it collapsed.

I honestly think this is a great thing for the RLWC however.

reanimate

Bench
This is getting the WC a ton of publicity. It could end up being a really good thing in the end.

DeeJ

Bench
Sonny Bill does as he pleases and everyone let's him. At the Roosters fan celebration day he turned up 15 minutes late in casual clothes when everyone else was wearing team gear. Now he's fashionably late into the World cup.

it's all about making a bigger name for himself, increasing news and ultimately driving his net worth up.

league13

Juniors
There's only one way to handle guys like Williams, he should have been told he had missed the plane.To be selected now, plays into his and his agents scheme of things.Feel for Harris,certainly not the way to do things.

NrlCoach

Juniors
Give me 13 Mannerings over 13 Sonny Bills any day. Bit of ticker!
black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
People don't seem to get that there's a logical jump from "SBW did the wrong thing" to "having SBW in the team is bad"

SBW hurt the team, so let's hurt the team more by not having SBW in it? Does that make sense?

As long as having SBW in your team is a positive to the team's performance, he should be picked. At the moment he is massively in credit on that front.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-09/kiws-make-room-for-sonny-bill-and-drop-harris/5011844

Sonny Bill Williams has been added to the New Zealand Rugby League World Cup squad at the expense of Melbourne's Tohu Harris.
Williams initially said he was taking a break after helping the Sydney Roosters to the premiership on Sunday and was not included in the original squad.
The dual international then advised Kiiws coach Stephen Kearney on Tuesday he wanted to make himself available to play in the RLWC.
While Williams has been widely criticised for changing his mind Kearney said the opportunity to include a player of the class of Williams could not be ignored.
"It's been a tough situation, but Sonny brings things to the group that we couldn't ignore," Kearney said.
"He has had time since his NRL grand final win to clear his head and he wants to represent the Kiwis on the world stage. He missed our 2008 World Cup win and his inclusion will be a great asset in trying to repeat that success this year.
"It's not only his footballing ability, but also what he brings off the field which will benefit the team."
Harris is the player to make way for Williams with the squad limited to 24 players.
The 21-year-old Melbourne Storm forward was included in a development role and is disappointed to be missing out on travelling with the squad.
"I was very much looking forward to going, however I understand the decision that has been made and hope I get another opportunity to play for the Kiwis in the future," Harris said.
Kearney said the youngster took the decision well and will take the opportunity to instead have a solid preseason with the Storm.
"It was a conversation no coach would like to have, but he's a terrific young man and I'm sure he'll have many more opportunities to pull on the black jersey," Kearney said.
"It's been a unique set of circumstances for all involved, but for now our focus is getting set to defend the World Cup with the team we have."

Hope we smash them now. Harris deserved to be picked.

Latest posts