What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks can be back in the hunt!

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I worded what I said poorly. ONE of the contributing factors in the salary cap being set at a limit is as you say to allow clubs across the competition a relatively equal chance in signing players. However that limit could be higher if clubs such as yours were in a better financial position. Your club doesn't spend the cap because you can not afford to do so.

If we just eliminated the salary cap and imposed a points cap then teams can pay what they want but can't hoard the best players. Make it restrictive enough and sure the Sharks may struggle to pay for players in the top tier but they would still field a competitive team.

I also think they need a draft system.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
If we just eliminated the salary cap and imposed a points cap then teams can pay what they want but can't hoard the best players. Make it restrictive enough and sure the Sharks may struggle to pay for players in the top tier but they would still field a competitive team.

Not a fan of a draft system for juniors because it takes away the chance of a kid aspiring to play for the club they grew up supporting. I'd prefer a kid from St Claire who has supported Penrith all his life to play for the panthers rather than be shunted off to another club because a recruitment officer likes what he sees.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Not a fan of a draft system for juniors because it takes away the chance of a kid aspiring to play for the club they grew up supporting. I'd prefer a kid from St Claire who has supported Penrith all his life to play for the panthers rather than be shunted off to another club because a recruitment officer likes what he sees.

We actually agree on something. I like the draft in theory but it would need some concessions to make it work in our game. We could have a junior rule in our draft the way the AFL has a father-son rule.

In the AFL if a kid's father has played 100 games for a club, that club gets to draft the kid if they want him. The way it works is if another club picks him the club that wants to use the father/son rule can use their next pick on him, and they get him even if another team already picked him.

If we had that system but for local juniors a draft could work here. Say Brisbane drafts a kid from the Penrith area with the 5th pick, the Panthers could use their 10th pick and get their local boy. And to keep it from being overused a team would only be able to do that once per draft.

adamkungl

Immortal

noooooo

Salary Cap shouldn't be about talent equalisation! It's about financial equality. Points system = terrible. Would result in every team being boring and mediocre and inconsistent

Also, no draft. What we have now is fine. I would throw in some loyalty and development concessions.

mightybears

Bench
from: http://www.mightybears.com/viewtopic.php?p=32862#32862

I'll start by saying the obvious, a club getting killed does no one any good. The code is damaged, the fans sad [as we know], the fabric of the game in Sydney torn again [as we know]. i do not want to see Cronulla gone and i don't want us at the funeral let alone standing on the grave similing like an idiot.

Seriously, unless the Sharks can get the development plan for their leagues club approved, funded and started i just can't see another venue/licensed club wanting to merge with them for anything other than a bargain price/deal. The Tradies club at Gymea will want the deal their way $ wise-no salvation. The Sharks took the 40 pieces of superleague silver because they realised their long term financial postion is not so good. Nothing has changed 15 years later and unless the refineries at Kurnell all turn into massive tower blocks the numbers will never add up for a club at the wrong end of a peninsula. And thats ignoring the obvious need for non club funding anyway.

The gun to the flakey head by the NRL is the kicker, if Dangerous Dave Gallop says ok, we'll help out, no merge, you'll stay the Sharks but 'Southern' Sharks and play half your matches in the City of Churches then that is a good thing for the game, us [bears fans] and in a way to Cronulla fans as it gives them the financial base they have never had.

They'll never sent the Sharks to Wellington, a non RL market like Adelaide needs an existing identity [much like the VFL did with the Swans in Sydney], A RL friendly market / kiwi team franchise certainly does not.

But if the NRL gun, says up to Gosford you go, then we are stuffed. I know i have said this before and i think its now very unlikely considering the CCB momentum but this is the News Corporation [currently a bit messed up in the head as Packer the lesser has made a play for a chuck of Channel 10 that clouds the Foxtel vision for the next round of broadcasting rights].

The Sharks are in [the NRL] and shakey, we are outside [the NRL] and strong [as you can be in our position!?]. The new commission under pressure from the $ men and my state of residence may backslide and adopt an 'outside of NSW' expansion mantra, and there is a obvious financial case for Brisbane II even if no bid has really opened up.

Frailty

First Grade
Bears trying to kill the Sharks... Awesome...

You guys just lost any support I had for your bid.

bobmar28

Bench
Bears trying to kill the Sharks... Awesome...

You guys just lost any support I had for your bid.
The only way the Bears can get a NRL franchise is if a Sydney team (Sharks?) falls over.
Adding a tenth team to the Sydney region is not expansion it is contraction.

BunniesMan

Immortal
The only way the Bears can get a NRL franchise is if a Sydney team (Sharks?) falls over.
Adding a tenth team to the Sydney region is not expansion it is contraction.

How much do you want to bet that the Bears are the next team in the league, with or without the Sharks folding?

Frailty

First Grade
yeah you 3 have missed the point about the post

No, I think you have missed the rhetoric in the piece... Let's break it down for you...

- I don't want the Sharks to fold.
- Sharks took Super League money and are still in financial hardship
- The NRL should only help if they relocate the Sharks to Adelaide
- THe Sharks are the weakest team in the competition
- The Bears are the strongest team not in the competition
- If they try to move the Sharks to the CC - it will be baaaad!

It's the equivalent of a "I'm not racist but..." statement.

What has the Bears bid for admission into the NRL have to do with the Sharks... There has been ZERO talk of Cronulla moving to the Central Coast and it is quite paranoid for CC Bears supporters to get on the 'Kill Them or SHip them to Adelaide' movement.

mightybears

Bench
- I don't want the Sharks to fold. so? i don't
- Sharks took Super League money and are still in financial hardship fact
- The NRL should only help if they relocate the Sharks to Adelaide yes, for all teams sink or swim or get moved
- THe Sharks are the weakest team in the competition financially they seem to be from media reports and i'm not on the board or in the NRL!
- The Bears are the strongest team not in the competition strongest bid yes
- If they try to move the Sharks to the CC - it will be baaaad! for norths if the move is gosford obviously

Frailty

First Grade
And again, there is nothing about the Sharks moving to Adelaide or the Central Coast...

... It is a non-issue that the Bears are pushing to knife the sharks.

Quigs

Immortal
The Bears were alright, afterall they did hate Manly.

Bloody Manly, hey Kenny Boy..... Gray, Irvine, Hamilton, bloody silvertails.

Cheers
Quigs

Who says the Bears are trying to kill the Sharks? The Sharks have for a long time tried to shoot themselves in the foot, bad board room decisions amongst other things. Last year the Sharks tried to "take" 5 games a season to the CC for quick cash solutions just when the Bears movement started to pick up. Mightybears just posted an opinion. Why people automatically think the CCBears are trying to kill the sharks when it's obvious ALL our energy and time is going into the bid. I don't see Flo, Daisy or any other the dedicated bid team holding signs outside shark park. Lol. It's a non issue. Everyone and their dog has an opinion on the sharks. Mightybears, myself, a Canberra supporter or a broncos supporter are no different.