What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks! v Melbourne press conference madness. NRL fines Storm $50,000

Regardless of who you support Cameron Smith grabbed and twisted Thaiday by the head. Simple, this is not allowed.

Jeremy Smith didn't help things with his SPICY CHICKEN FILLET BURGER TACKLE at the same time, however Cammy had to go, simple as that he looked like he was taking the head off a prawn.

Actually as far as contact with an opponent's head it was one of the worst I have seen.

Bubbles

Looking at it from a storm point of view i can see the frustration.

If they do indeed have a dvd of 300 so called grapples by other teams that went unpunished they have every right to be upset. They have evidence that supports their argument not just opinions of second rate league journos and ex players with agendas.

If there is nothing in this then why did geyer get penalised for a grapple last night ? The touchie was reacting to something else other than the tackle so what was it ? Media pressure ? Robert Finches bullsh*t posturing ?

Therein lies the problem.
The fact that Geyer was penalised for a 'grapple' tackle when it clearly was not a grapple tackle lends creedence to the Storm's complaints.
There have been tackles this year just as bad as Cameron Smith's without the offender getting any penalty and then Geyer's tackle and the penalty last night was an absolute and utter joke.
Cameron Smith should have been suspended BUT so should a whole lot of other players too

Evolution

Juniors
News Ltd takes a dividend from the NRL and props up Melbourne. Essentially taking earnings from the game that should be used to boost juniors & support league in country areas and gives it to a club in a town that no-one wants or cares about. Wastes money that is needed elsewhere.

So a private investor taking money from their investment is your reasoning. What if they pay for it out of their own pocket? it is not like they are poor.

The NRL should be flooding the Melbourne region for money to make some more money (like the AFL) but have left the Storm to do all their own leg work.

Parra

Referee
League money spent in Melbourne is wasted money.

I have no problem with a private investor choosing to do this. The money taken from the NRL is used to fund Melbourne - that is what I don't like. I have to put up with it because the greedy pricks who ran some of the clubs sold out to News Ltd for a pittance - the only up side was that the same greedy pricks got bugger all out of it. So now we have a media company running the game, taking a dividend and wasting it. This cash used to be used for development - it is now used for promotion. And even in that area, the cash is wasted in Melbourne. Nothing against Melbourne - but it's an AFL town and nothing is going to change that.

Meth

Staff member
Does anybody have a link to coverage of the press conference?

Fox doesn't show to visitors outside of Australia

Evolution

Juniors
Maybe if they actually did something to promote the game they would be reaping the rewards. Melbourne people have shown they are more than happy to put their hard earned into a club when they love it enough. It would not be that hard for them to include clauses in the TV rights to get it on TV earlier and then to enforce said clauses.

You can not just create a club and abandon it and expect it take off with no help.

ironhorse

Juniors
Maybe if they actually did something to promote the game they would be reaping the rewards. Melbourne people have shown they are more than happy to put their hard earned into a club when they love it enough. It would not be that hard for them to include clauses in the TV rights to get it on TV earlier and then to enforce said clauses.

You can not just create a club and abandon it and expect it take off with no help.

i actually agree here , more promotion would help the club build on its impressive core following . I do think many of its supporters are the 'anti- afl' crowd who maybe object to the blind afl white out coverage

Evolution

Juniors
Bellamy having a whinge.. surprise surprise! Stuart had every right to criticise that typically gutless dirty Smith tackle and the 2 weeks was the right call

But Bellamy has no right to counter attack.

Stuart should not have free rain to comment on open charges. It is a flaw that the NRL have allowed into the process.

pnub

Juniors
i actually agree here , more promotion would help the club build on its impressive core following . I do think many of its supporters are the 'anti- afl' crowd who maybe object to the blind afl white out coverage

Actually i used to follow the afl before i started getting into rugby league in 99-2000... And now I’m a fully converted league fan, not only the storm I usually watch a fair portion of the other games on each and every week

Right now i won't even watch afl anymore and haven't since 2001 and i have a few friends that have been converted to league by myself. But the hard fact is that in Melbourne there is next to no coverage on the normal news and only limited in the herald sun and only because News owns the club. Lets not even get started on tv coverage on channel 9 if they do happen to show a storm game yay after midnight. Take last week against the Bronco's semi final game that turned into one of the games of the year and in Melbourne you had to wait until after Midnight yet again to watch the game.

So yes they are right the NRL is a disgrace, they can't even put channel 9 to task about fulfilling obligations stated in their contract. Nor make sure the general public in Melbourne gets better access to the Storm and league in general to make sure that more fans like myself either get converted fully or become supporters of either the storm or the nrl as a whole.

But hey what do they care if storm goes well in Melbourne.

Ice777

Bench
League money spent in Melbourne is wasted money.

I have no problem with a private investor choosing to do this. The money taken from the NRL is used to fund Melbourne - that is what I don't like. I have to put up with it because the greedy pricks who ran some of the clubs sold out to News Ltd for a pittance - the only up side was that the same greedy pricks got bugger all out of it. So now we have a media company running the game, taking a dividend and wasting it. This cash used to be used for development - it is now used for promotion. And even in that area, the cash is wasted in Melbourne. Nothing against Melbourne - but it's an AFL town and nothing is going to change that.

Did it ever occur to you (i highly doubt it did) that having a team in the second biggest city in the country with 3.8 million people actually puts the league in better shape than what it would be without them in it?

You carry on about the cost of what it takes to run the Storm, but do you honestly think the sponsorship dollars the NRL receive/Tv rights would be anywhere near what they are right now and what they can potentially be in future without a team in Melbourne?

If you think that the outlay for the Storm is greater than what they bring to the comp in a monetary sense for the above things mentioned you're living in fairyland mate. Even take out the sponsorship dollars and just concentrate on the next tv rights, if the NRL show a bit of backbone and basic business acumen they'll make an absolute sh*tload more on the Storm than what it costs to have them in the comp.

How do you think the AFL got those astronomical figures for the tv rights? You can bet your arse they'd have gotten nowhere near that sort of money if they didn't have a team in Sydney and Brisbane which are rugby league heartlands as we all know.

But even so i'm sure you'll totally ignore these facts and go back to living in your "get rid of Melbourne" simplistic little world.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade
what the hell do the Warriors have to do with this mess??

Probably because we were one of the reasons why Smith got first suspended this year, thus wrecking his perfect record, because we can actually beat them at their own game..lol and they're afraid of facing a team that doesn't roll over for them.

byrne_rovelli_fan82

First Grade

How much facts do you have on this? Because there are plenty of people that still and never will care about the NRL or the Storm no matter how good they get.

Scorpio30

Bench
You're a disgrace: premiers slam NRL

Brad Walter | September 27, 2008
http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...1222217528326.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

IN ONE of the most extraordinary post-match press conferences in memory, Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy and chief executive Brian Waldron unloaded at the NRL and Sharks coach Ricky Stuart over the grapple-tackle issue and comments by Stuart the Storm duo believe may have influenced the Cam Smith judiciary case.
The comments drew a stinging response from Stuart, who labelled Waldron an "idiot".
Waldron criticised the leadership of the NRL, while Bellamy suggested the judiciary might have been influenced by media reports before Wednesday night's hearing - which resulted in Smith receiving a two-match suspension that has ruled the Storm captain out of the premiership decider.
Bellamy went as far as to say that he believed Smith's fate was sealed when he saw betting odds that had the Australian captain at $1.18 to be suspended and $4.25 to beat the grade-one contrary-conduct charge, and claimed that St George Illawarra hooker Stuart Webb was guilty of an almost identical tackle the week before but escaped any action.
"Cameron Smith was hung out to dry straight after the match, and then it continued for four or five days from some sections of the media that seem to have an agenda against Melbourne about the grapple tackle," Bellamy said.
"I'm not trying to throw stones at Stuart Webb or St George, but you have a look at that tackle and tell me that's not a worse tackle than Cameron Smith's. So, again, why is it Cameron Smith that pays the price? Is it a Melbourne thing and we will make a stand with a Melbourne player or are we going to make a stand with one of our great players in the game at the moment - the Australian captain, the Queensland captain, the Melbourne captain and the Golden Boot winner?
"But the other thing that was very smelly about the whole lot was when I saw on Wednesday morning that there was a betting market … that's a fair spread in a two-horse race. Bookmakers and betting agencies, they don't guess. They've got good information. Take that as you may. As soon as I saw that on Wednesday morning … he was thousands."
Waldron said betting agencies should not be allowed to frame markets on judiciary cases and also called on the NRL to prevent rival coaches from commenting before hearings. "It questions the integrity of our game at the core and we need some leadership to fix it," Waldron said at a lengthy and heated press conference that was attended by NRL officials, including chief operating officer Graham Annesley.

"To allow Ricky Stuart to make those comments is an absolute disgrace and a blight on the game. We need to address that, and to allow betting? This isn't a contest between the Warriors and the Storm, this is about three people under enormous pressure making a decision about someone's future in a preliminary final.
"The game has a responsibility to fix it and the people running the game need to fix it, because we are sick of it and we will fix it if someone else won't. When the pressure comes on from above, people are forced into extremely difficult situations where their integrity is questioned - and that is the reality of what has happened here."
Annesley declined to comment before an NRL review of what was said, but Sharks coach Stuart returned fire. "Brian Waldron is a flip," Stuart said. "Wally Waldron should go and learn the rules before he goes and complains about me making comments. The more that flip goes on about it, the stronger I will be about it. It's a shame for the game but the game and me didn't make the tackle - and tell that idiot Waldron the same thing."
The post-game slanging match overshadowed what happened on the field, but the Storm face a further week of judiciary woes, with Brett White on report for striking a "filthy" Ben Ross with his elbow.
Because of a previous suspension - also for striking Ross - even a grade-one striking charge would rule White out of the grand final. "I can't remember anything from the game but everyone's told me that he collected me twice," said Ross, who had a suspected broken nose and swollen eye. "I can't comment because I haven't seen it, but it f---ed my game up - so I'm pretty filthy."
Asked about the support of Bellamy and Waldron, Smith said: "They feel very strongly about what happened during the week. That's their opinion, and I'm glad they're behind me. That's my coach and my CEO so I expect them to do that."

Really!? Id expect them to have integrity....But as we know when ever someone is up on charges the coach and CEO always say that they are innocent.

I dont ever recall anyone saying "Yup he was certainly reckless there....I think he will be looking at a stint on the sidelines".

ironhorse

Juniors
....Lets not even get started on tv coverage on channel 9 if they do happen to show a storm game yay after midnight. Take last week against the Bronco's semi final game that turned into one of the games of the year and in Melbourne you had to wait until after Midnight yet again to watch the game.

yeah not showing that live in MEL was unbelievably ridiculous moreso considering they played an old crappy movie instead :sarcasm: the NRL/ch9 should hang their heads in shame ! Was last nights game shown live btw ?

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Didn't Waldron mentioned something about leadership...........hello David are you out there somewhere? Anywhere!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bartman

Immortal
Talk about sooking. Bellamy and Waldron should be made to pull their heads in.

So what, Cameron Smith blatantly attacked the head (and nothing else) of an opponent in a tackle. He copped the suspension he deserved, shut up and cop it, your team doesn't need him by the looks of it.

Generalzod

Immortal
Melbourne are subsidised by every other club in the NRL. They have no right to do anything other than kiss the ground each time they come into NSW.

Without money from NEWS CORP Melbourne will be gone in a matter of weeks...

Latest posts