What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sharks! v Melbourne press conference madness. NRL fines Storm $50,000

BWNB

First Grade
Talk about sooking. Bellamy and Waldron should be made to pull their heads in.

So what, Cameron Smith blatantly attacked the head (and nothing else) of an opponent in a tackle. He copped the suspension he deserved, shut up and cop it, your team doesn't need him by the looks of it.

agree, but they will need him when the come across a stronger team, don't let that performance fool you the Sharks were way below par!

Without money from every club's owners/benefactors, whether they be individuals, companies or leagues clubs, they would all be gone. News owns the Storm just as Rusty and PHaC owns Souths and Delmege/Penn owns Manly. No one seems too worried about how much cash those owners spend to make their clubs break even, assuming they do.

Ridders

Coach
Bellamy isn't arguing the actual incident, he's arguing the amount of negative press the incident got. The incident looked terrible but in essence its no worse than what we see week in week out. The media have been making sensationalistic attacks on the storm this whole week, time to cop a bit back i say.

humpy

Juniors
The Smith tackle was bad enough to be charged, and the only reason he is in this position is because of his charge in the early rounds which left him with carry overpoints as well asaloading. Otherwise he would not have copped any suspension with an early guilty plea.

On the other hand since the dragons game, all teams playing the Storm have had a whinge before and during the game, and I honestly think this has affected the way the ref's have controlled Storm games. Watching that game last night, there must have been 20 other tackles with unnecesary contact with the head and went unpenalised.

NRL have created the problem themselves by not being consistent within each game, let alone throughout the year when 100's of other similar tackles to Smith tackle did not even get penalised let alone cop a suspension.

humpy

Juniors
Therein lies the problem.
The fact that Geyer was penalised for a 'grapple' tackle when it clearly was not a grapple tackle lends creedence to the Storm's complaints.
There have been tackles this year just as bad as Cameron Smith's without the offender getting any penalty and then Geyer's tackle and the penalty last night was an absolute and utter joke.
Cameron Smith should have been suspended BUT so should a whole lot of other players too

Finally some sanity. This is exactly what the argument is about

Noa

First Grade
Typical Stuart. Somebody wants to make a point and he gets nasty and personal.

Glenn

First Grade
Just overhead from Rayyyyyyyyy Melbourne could be looking at a fine in the order of $50K for the comments made in regards to the judicary.

LESStar58

Referee
WOW.

Anyone catch that post match conference just shown on Fox sports news?

Bellamy and Waldron just made some very powerful enemies in the press me-thinks.

He basically accused the betting agencies of somehow knowing the judiciary result because of the odds. Had a go at Sticky etc. Even had a dig at the Saints' Stuart Webb for some tackle in the Manly final.

Stay tuned, sh*t just hit the fan.

The press already hate us. They'll harp on this blow up from Bellamy and Waldron until after the end of the GF and it'll get raised on the odd occassion next season. Aside from that, I think the only people who will carry a chip on their shoulder about this are LU based Storm haters.

Meth

Staff member
Just overhead from Rayyyyyyyyy Melbourne could be looking at a fine in the order of $50K for the comments made in regards to the judicary.

This wasn't an emotional over reaction- it was a pre meditated rant. They were obviously aware that they would have to pay a fine and willing to pay it

LESStar58

Referee
Oh for Pete's sake... Bellamy is entitled to his opinion just as Stuart was.

As for Waldron the people who called him an "AFL blow-in" in the past (Fitzgerald and the Canberra CEO.... can't remember his name) and Ricky's jibe about "learning the rules"; Brian Waldron's job is to run a football team. He also has the added task of trying to sell the game to the Melbourne public. If he makes those comments out of the interests of the people at the club and the Melbourne Storm itself, then he is doing his job. I'd say the same of any other club boss.

Shorty

Staff member
I can understand with all the crap that went on during the week that Bellamy is probably been under huge press and strain.
But that's uncalled for imo.

The tackle was terrible - It deserved suspension and the NRL did the right thing.
He's just made things even worse for himself and the club but he does have a bit of a temper.

Glenn

First Grade
This wasn't an emotional over reaction- it was a pre meditated rant. They were obviously aware that they would have to pay a fine and willing to pay it

As much as the management of the NRL is questionable at times, you can't bring disrepute to the game.
I guess the NRL will be getting a nice Christmas Bonus thanks to Melbourne. :lol:

sass

Juniors
I think the nrl has heaps of problems and I've said that yes it's unfair that cam smith HAPPENED to be the one who took the fall for grapples, yes it's unfair that the refs and the nrl only put their foot down now.

but the rest of that rant is such bullsh*t.

bellamy just destroyed all his credibility I think by playing the victim and thinking that the judiciary pre-decided and that the bookies were in on it.

the odds changed because THAT'S WHAT BOOKIES DO.

and the other grapples were't penalised because the refs and the mrc have been ignoring them - by melbourne and by every other team.

the classy thing to do is accept that the party is over for wrestle tactics and move on.

complaining about it is about as classy as if thaiday, k hunt and boyd came out and said that they had been persecuted by the media and it's unfair and then produced a list of fifty other broncos who've been involved in sex scandals that were covered up.

LESStar58

Referee
the odds changed because THAT'S WHAT BOOKIES DO.

My opinion: Smith was gone anyway. The issue is... how often do bookies take wagers on the tribunal outcome in ANY sport?

Furthermore, I'd love to know if any nuffies were silly enough to actually put money on any result.

sass

Juniors
yeah you didn't need an inside tip to know it was a safer bet he was going than staying.

as for betting on the tribunal - note to bellamy: this is australia. we bet on ELECTIONS for godssake. of course there are some people who'll bet on the findings of the nrl judiciary.

Latest posts