What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ship runs aground on Nobbys

roopy

Referee
IMGP0079.jpg

Tams

Juniors
Holy crap! I've been keeping track of it on the news but these photos and stories really bring it home! Hope you guys up that way are all ok!

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Roopy/Risa, where abouts on the Coast is that? Looks vaguely like Umina maybe but it's hard to tell :?

roopy

Referee
Dodger said:
Roopy/Risa, where abouts on the Coast is that? Looks vaguely like Umina maybe but it's hard to tell :?
don't ask me - i just fixed up the exposure on one of risa's because it was too dark to see on my screen.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Ah ok.

Risa?

roopy, that must've been scary as sh*te at Dora Bloody Creek... My gf is based at Bonnells Bay and we drove past there this morning to get supplies for today... all dried up it looked like a bomb had hit it. Very eerie.

roopy

Referee
Dodger said:
Ah ok.

Risa?

roopy, that must've been scary as sh*te at Dora Bloody Creek... My gf is based at Bonnells Bay and we drove past there this morning to get supplies for today... all dried up it looked like a bomb had hit it. Very eerie.
It always goes that way at Dora.
I found it funny the houses along the creek all had boats ready at the back door. They all knew it was coming and had the escape route all planned out.

lucky7

Juniors
Having just got back from singleton i have to say it is pretty bad up there. tho not quite as bad as is being made out on the news it is pretty dire

IanG

Coach
A gum tree branch that came down from next door's yard. Landed on the roof of one of our garden sheds
S4300001.jpg

I had to re-hang my washing too. Nearly lost it

astrogirl

First Grade
Wow the photos are sensational

My dad works in wallsend and had to sleep at work on friday night cos they couldn't leave to go home. He told me he looked out the window to see a couple of cars floating down the street :shock:

My mum only just made it home after her work forgot to warn her to leave her appointment and get her ar$e home - they called everyone else but forgot her! The water was up to the top of her tyres and she was pretty scared.

Dave, I heard that the wild storm was due to 2 big low pressure systems meeting - one for central NSw and the other off the coast. Is that right? and is there more to it than that?

Misanthrope

Staff member
I had to re-hang my washing too. Nearly lost it

I love it! That's such a blokey response. Natural disaster occurs and the real clincher is that you had to re-hang your washing :lol: On the upside, it was probably still wet anyway. :p

Serc

First Grade
astrogirl said:
My dad works in wallsend and had to sleep at work on friday night cos they couldn't leave to go home. He told me he looked out the window to see a couple of cars floating down the street :shock:

Dave, I heard that the wild storm was due to 2 big low pressure systems meeting - one for central NSw and the other off the coast. Is that right? and is there more to it than that?

r149923_532621.jpg
(another photo i flogged from the ABC galleries)

That looks like Nelson St to me - your Dad work near there? I certainly never thought of it as a place that would flood but then again that part is probably the lowest point on the road before you go around the corner and head up the hill.

An East Coast Low (ECL) formed off the coast yeah...this came out of a trough over SE QLD and it slid south and then did its thing over the ocean. Now the SW side of the ECL was the part where most of the winds and rain came together (which is typical for this sort of system) and that happened to be over Newy and the Hunter.

Now to the other low - there was a broad upper trough (read: much cooler air than normal for up there) for many days over most of Aus. This is that triggered the surface trough over QLD. At the end of its life it sent up one last pulse of cold air over central and northern NSW, and this was a nice little upper low (think 5km up in the sky) which really fired up the trough in QLD and helped create the ECL off the coast. It also happened to have some very cold air in it and gave parts of the Northern Tablelands their best snow in nearly 25 years!

garden fairy

Juniors
That is Nelson St. From what I heard, the reason why that end of it flooded is because it is a low-lying area that sits right on top of a creek/drain. The drain flooded, and Nelson St became a river. I'm fairly surprised that the same thing didn't happen to the drain that runs right down the middle of Parkway Ave in Cooks Hill.

I was working in town this morning, and you can already see the effects of the flooding of the Hunter River from further west All of the dirt and debris from the Hunter River flooding is starting to drift out of the end of the harbour at a fairly fast rate into the sea. It looks like a murky brown path, cutting across the blue water.

I took a few photos, but you can't really see it very well...

diagramls1.jpg

astrogirl

First Grade
garden fairy that sounds about right

mum said that the big drain behind wallsend plaza was absolutely not coping with the deluge

Serc

First Grade
Ahh cool thanks for the info - have only visited that part of Wallsend a few times so don't know it especially well :) I was really surprised at some of the the images of Heaton Park and Stockland at Jesso though as I used to drive past there all the time!

Risa

Bench
Anyone else sick of the rain? lol, well there's more to come tomorrow:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21927032-2,00.html

More wind and rain to hit storm-battered state

By Danny Rose

June 18, 2007 07:31pm

METEOROLOGISTS are warning coastal communities of New South Wales to brace for the third major storm of the month, with further damaging winds and torrential rain expected from tomorrow.

Storm-force conditions offshore and seas over 12m are expected to hit the bulk carrier Pasha Bulker, which has remained stranded on a sandbar off Nobby's Beach in Newcastle since the first major storm hit on June 8.

It caused widespread flooding in the Hunter and Central Coast regions through last week, cutting power to 200,000 homes.

A second storm which followed at the weekend brought further damaging winds, while heavy rain took Sydney's monthly total to more than 350mm.

The State Emergency Service in Sydney and surrounding areas has received almost 18,000 calls for assistance so far this month.

The Bureau of Meteorology said while the rain was not expected to be as heavy over the next couple of days, winds speeds in some areas could approach 100km/h.

"There will be gale force winds about coastal parts especially Tuesday night and Wednesday in the south and central coast of NSW," BoM spokeswoman Deryn Griffiths said.

"We're looking at not a large amount of rain compared to our last couple of events, but there will be rain along the coast and snow up on the ranges."

Ms Griffiths urged households to forestall unnecessary travel during the bad weather, and for those who must venture out "not to bother with the umbrella ... bring out the raincoat instead".

"The last time the NSW coast copped such an extended battering was back in August 1998", Weatherzone meteorologist Matt Pearce said today.

"When three east coast lows once again developed in the space of a month. That event was best known for causing the devastating Wollongong floods."

The next storm is expected to be "very short and sharp" and conditions would then improve, Mr Pearce said.

"We are then finally likely to enter a more settled period from the end of the week on ."

Nuke

Staff member
daveserc said:
Ahh cool thanks for the info - have only visited that part of Wallsend a few times so don't know it especially well :) I was really surprised at some of the the images of Heaton Park and Stockland at Jesso though as I used to drive past there all the time!
Where are these photos you speak of, Daveserc? My grandparents are only about 2mins walk from Heaton Park and 5mins from Stockland Mall (they live on Goodwin St). Every time I come to Newcastle, I stay there. I was only there a few weeks ago, so more than ever, I'd love to see those photos if it's possible.

IanG

Coach
CWBush said:
I love it! That's such a blokey response. Natural disaster occurs and the real clincher is that you had to re-hang your washing :lol: On the upside, it was probably still wet anyway. :p
Yeah it was. But in the fair dinkum department that was the least of my worries.

Coastbloke

Bench
Dodger said:

Looks lke the street that leads to the Police Youth Club in Umina.....