What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ship runs aground on Nobbys

Apey

Staff member
Went and checked it out this morning and dad took some photos.

Will post them soon if anyone is interested.

roopy

Referee
Apey said:
Went and checked it out this morning and dad took some photos.

Will post them soon if anyone is interested.
i'm interested - the only really good pics i've seen are from helicopters - be good to see if anyone else got an interesting angle from the beach.

Misanthrope

Staff member
I know this is kind of morbid, but God I wish I was in Newcastle to witness some of this. I realise people's businesses and homes are being damaged, and I feel for them, but there's just some amazing images coming out of the city and I've love to be able to capture a few of my own. Not so much the flooding - but that ship... it's insane.

Hey Fred - did they have Marketown Bilo/Coles open today?

RABK

Referee
That ain't no small ship either, only 19 metres shorter and 12,000 tonnes lighter then the Titanic.

roopy

Referee
I think a nice sunny day and a pic of the ship as a backgound for a surfer on a wave could make a dramatic shot - or maybe one with a ship entering the harbour behind the one on the beach.

Misanthrope

Staff member
Clearly they need to leave the hulk there, pin a few water slides to it, and make it a tourist attraction

Frederick

Staff member
CWBush said:
Hey Fred - did they have Marketown Bilo/Coles open today?
Yup, but they didn't have any cold stuff - no deli, no dairy, no meats, no nothin :p

keeney

First Grade
Roopy, were those cars along a road with parking? Likely they were washed there while being driven, or while stationary and unoccupied? Were there many areas where the waters were high and strong enough to make car travel dangerous?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Yup, but they didn't have any cold stuff - no deli, no dairy, no meats, no nothin

The manager there is such a nazi. She used to make us work through blackouts, even though it's an OH&S issue and checkouts don't run without power anyway. She'd have had that place open today even if it were still under a foot of water.

Frederick

Staff member
keeney said:
Roopy, were those cars along a road with parking? Likely they were washed there while being driven, or while stationary and unoccupied? Were there many areas where the waters were high and strong enough to make car travel dangerous?
There were plenty of places around Newcastle that were like that, mainly King and Hunter Streets, and the Lambton/Broadmeadow area (near the stadium). Stranded and abandoned cars littered the streets today, just sitting in the middle of the roads. A fair few had been looted too :x. Funniest thing was sitting at traffic lights a Broadmeadow, and looking over and seeing a long queue of cars lined up to turn right, but they were lined up behind one of the abandoned cars. Took them ages to figure it out, then you just see all these cars swing out and zoom past the abandoned car :lol:

roopy

Referee
keeney said:
yeah - that car was obviously washed down a big stormwater drain. I'm sure it would have been empty, or we would be hearing about someone dying in it.

roopy

Referee
Those ones were on the road to Toronto near Rathmines. They were at the bottom of a big hill with that big drain going under the road. It could have been washed all the way down the hill - maybe 50 or 60 metres.

Gene Krupa

Referee
Frederick said:
Yup, but they didn't have any cold stuff - no deli, no dairy, no meats, no nothin :p

We went shopping at Jesmond Wollies at 4.30 and people were going absolutely MENTAL!

No bakery products, of ANY kind
No milk or long life milk except for a few speciality low fat ones. (Though people were still snapping those up!)
No bottled water
No matches, lighters or candles
Only strange sized batteries
and most bizarely
No toilet paper!

There were people getting into dis-agreements over people taking too many things. I didn't know the rapture was coming!

keeney

First Grade
Sorry for my ignorant questions, I know Newcastle as well as I know the surface of Calypso. I totally can't picture floods of this proportion in what I do know of it.

Frederick

Staff member
medievilknight said:
Apparently Coles carpark at The Junction is STILL UNDER WATER...........20 or so cars still stuck there
I saw a picture of that that one of my stepdad's friends took...f**kin funny as :lol:

Well, not for those who own the cars :p

Risa

Bench
Pics of the powerlines dangling in our front yard & the next door neighbours tree uprooted:

IMGP0080.jpg

IMGP0079.jpg

CIMG2095.jpg

And the tree uprooted near my sisters place:

IMGP0086.jpg

Serc

First Grade
Hey Krappa

I've been to Jezzo Woolies at peak times like Xmas and Easter and they were bad enough...I would NOT want to be there today!

IanG

Coach
Gene Krupa said:
We went shopping at Jesmond Wollies at 4.30 and people were going absolutely MENTAL!

No bakery products, of ANY kind
No milk or long life milk except for a few speciality low fat ones. (Though people were still snapping those up!)
No bottled water
No matches, lighters or candles
Only strange sized batteries
and most bizarely
No toilet paper!

There were people getting into dis-agreements over people taking too many things. I didn't know the rapture was coming!
Lucky I did my shopping through the week.

Mind you I'm surprised it wasn't flooded. As I mentioned earlier Blue Gum Road was utter chaos last night

Latest posts