What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Daniel Anderson be our coach in 2011?

Should Daniel Anderson be our coach in 2011?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cv8z

Juniors
I don't think Tautai was contracted for 2010... just not retained. We were better off without those fellas anyway.

I may be wrong about Tautai, I thought he joined sharks mid year.
No argument they were no loss, the point is they were contracted and for whatever reason are not there. Pushed or not.

Stewie

Juniors
Contracts mean absolutely nothing these days anyway. Clubs would sooner let players walk rather than force them to play out the remainder of their contracts. All the players mentioned were in ordinary form anyway.

bartman

Immortal
for mine, it was only finch.

You could say he wasn't pushed but a senior player being told you are not in his plans sort of is.

Finch, Cordoba and Hauraki are at least three... but let's face it was mutual from all parties and those blokes probably asked for releases.

Throw in Tautai.
They may have asked for releases after being told your not part of future plans
Who wouldn't want a release if your not wanted?
Thank you, thank you and thank you. So nothing of the sort then?

Being told you are not part of future plans is definitely different than a coach cutting a contract short. The was no intention to cut short the contract period, but the players were just being given honest information so they can think about their own futures and options.

If those players then decide to ask for releases and those are granted, that's still very different to cutting someone's contract short early and cold.

If the Board tell DA in the off-season that he's not required beyond the end of 2011, then that's not sacking him either - same thing happened to Brian Smith, but people get confused about that too and say he was sacked. But I wouldn't be surprised if DA tells the club this off-season that he doesn't want a new contract beyond end 2011... that can't be interpreted as DA sacking the club! :crazy:

But people are talking about DA being sacked early and immediately, with some other coach brought in. That's not on imo, and if the Board did that I personally would find it very hard to continue actively supporting the club while such a regime remained in control at the Eels.

yy_cheng

Coach
Thank you, thank you and thank you. So nothing of the sort then?

Being told you are not part of future plans is definitely different than a coach cutting a contract short. The was no intention to cut short the contract period, but the players were just being given honest information so they can think about their own futures and options.

If those players then decide to ask for releases and those are granted, that's still very different to cutting someone's contract short early and cold.

If the Board tell DA in the off-season that he's not required beyond the end of 2011, then that's not sacking him either - same thing happened to Brian Smith, but people get confused about that too and say he was sacked. But I wouldn't be surprised if DA tells the club this off-season that he doesn't want a new contract beyond end 2011... that can't be interpreted as DA sacking the club! :crazy:

But people are talking about DA being sacked early and immediately, with some other coach brought in. That's not on imo, and if the Board did that I personally would find it very hard to continue actively supporting the club while such a regime remained in control at the Eels.

It hasn't happened as yet.

Maybe he'll become an assistant coach to another coach instead.

A demotion is not a sacking.

Gronk

Staff member
In the eye of the storm

By SAM WORTHINGTON - The Dominion Post Last updated 05:00 17/09/2010

4137705.jpg

Stephen Kearney has been through the wringer and come out the other side.
The Melbourne Storm's season from hell finally ended two weeks ago, when the shamed NRL club belted the Newcastle Knights 34-4 at a raucous AAMI Park.
The win was worth nothing on the points table – Melbourne finished dead last despite a 14-10 win-loss record that would have earned them fifth spot in the playoffs had the club not been found guilty of one of the biggest rorts in Australian sporting history.
In April, the Storm were stripped of their 2007 and 2009 premierships and all competition points for 2010 after it was revealed the club had breached the salary cap by A$3.17 million between 2006 and 2010 through a systematic and complex scam orchestrated by former chief executive Brian Waldron.
Five Storm officials allegedly knew of the transactions but to date all the players and coaches, including head coach Craig Bellamy and Paraparaumu-born assistant Kearney, have been exonerated.
"You talk about a season from hell, it was all of that," said Kearney this week.
"It was very tough for everyone concerned and associated with the club ... the fans, the administration department, the coaching group, the players especially. So it was a very, very difficult time for us but we were thankful that the end came last weekend. So it's an opportunity for us to move forward now."
The Storm front office has been purged and stars Greg Inglis, Ryan Hoffman, Brett White, Jeff Lima and Aiden Tolman have been shed so the club can fit under the salary cap next year.
But Kearney is confident the club can rebuild from the rubble.
"Without a doubt. The actions of a select few have certainly brought it to its knees but the foundations are there. Craig and Frank Ponissi, who's our football manager, and a wonderful playing group, or certainly the basis of a wonderful playing group, are there. Obviously errors have been made in the past with a couple of bad eggs, but I'm confident that the future will be bright for the Storm."
BUT WHAT of Kearney's future?
The 38-year-old is one of the brightest coaching prospects in the game, with five years under his belt as Bellamy's right-hand man and the 2008 World Cup as Kiwis coach on his CV.
He has been repeatedly linked with the Parramatta head coaching job. Eels chief executive Paul Osborne reportedly met with him in Melbourne last month to discuss taking the reins from Daniel Anderson in 2011. The rumour mill has cooled since then.

"My deal with the Storm is ongoing depending on how things transpire and at the moment I'm certainly very committed to the club," Kearney said, adding he had Melbourne's blessing to move on if the right job came up.
"Michael McGuire, who was part of our coaching group last year, is now looking after Wigan and that's something that Craig certainly encourages, people to further their careers as head coaches or whatever it might be elsewhere."
Kearney was staying mum on a possible move from Melbourne but admitted he had served his NRL apprenticeship and was itching to prove himself as the main man.
"I feel I'm at that stage, and that's going to be the natural progression. It's just a matter of determining what suits us as a family and what suits myself, whether it's the right direction I think I should be going as a coach."
Kearney has connections in England, having played for Hull in 2005, but he ruled out a move to the northern hemisphere.
"It won't be Super League because I'm committed to making sure I fulfil what I want to do with the New Zealand team, and I won't be able to do that from the UK.
"So if the opportunity did arise as a first-grade coach, it would have to be in the NRL. You only get one opportunity and it's making sure that the opportunity is as good as you think it's going to be, and making a decision from there."
KEARNEY'S more immediate coaching job is with the Kiwis for the Four Nations tournament in October-November.
New Zealand begin their campaign against England in Wellington before tests against Papua New Guinea and Australia.
Already, Kearney has injury concerns with Manly half Kieran Foran going under the surgeon's knife next week, Penrith second-rower Frank Pritchard in doubt with a hamstring injury and Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall battling to be fit for tonight's finals clash with Canberra.
The Kiwis have also lost the race for giant Manly wing Tony Williams, who has opted to play for either Australia or Tonga, and Warriors second-rower Ukuma Ta'ai, who has aligned with Tonga.
Kearney said Wigan's Thomas Leuluai and St George Illawarra's Nathan Fien were leading contenders to replace Foran and join Marshall in the halves.
"I keep in contact with Michael McGuire and I spoke to [Leeds and former Kiwis coach] Brian McClennan yesterday morning. Both he and Michael told me that Tommy is doing really well."
As is Kearney, despite his season from hell.
AT A GLANCE
Name: Stephen Peter Kearney
Born: June 11 1972, in Paraparaumu
Playing record
1992-94: Wests Magpies (46 games) 1995-98: Auckland Warriors (79 games) 1999-2004: Melbourne Storm (139 games) 2005: Hull (24 games) 1993-2004: New Zealand (47 tests)
Coaching record
2006-today: Melbourne Storm assistant
2008-today: New Zealand head coach
Miscellaneous: Won the 2008 World Cup, beating Australia 34-20 in the final; made an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/4137541/In-the-eye-of-the-storm

Delboy

First Grade
The real question that most people are avoidung is how we played this season, the reason I am questioning his retention is we played and looked like a rabbble.

I watched the Choosday night footy game against Norths and with a few decent players and backs like Lovell, Carige , Penna etc al , we looked to have shape, rhythm and puprose. Something we lacked for most of this year, with the talent we had , I don't think we aimed up, and the coach has to shoulder the major responsibility. Fitness . particulalrly early was a factor, and the willingness to play out of form players constantly did nothing for us.

If the Eeels were a major business, and the KPIs were not reached, then DA would be under severe pressure. Why is that a problem, he needs to understand he failed, pure and simple, that is his domain.

The real question that most people are avoidung is how we played this season, the reason I am questioning his retention is we played and looked like a rabbble.

I watched the Choosday night footy game against Norths and with a few decent players and backs like Lovell, Carige , Penna etc al , we looked to have shape, rhythm and puprose. Something we lacked for most of this year, with the talent we had , I don't think we aimed up, and the coach has to shoulder the major responsibility. Fitness . particulalrly early was a factor, and the willingness to play out of form players constantly did nothing for us.

If the Eeels were a major business, and the KPIs were not reached, then DA would be under severe pressure. Why is that a problem, he needs to understand he failed, pure and simple, that is his domain.

Yes the coach has to shoulder the blame, it is his team, well it is almost his team and it is his responsibility to get them to perform. No Doubt there. Should he be reviewed and asked the hard questions? Absolutely. But he has made some decisions about the team that he wants, apart from a half back he is getting the team together for next year, so should he be allowed to at least test the fruits of his labor? Again yes. We as a club are a business, but we are in the Business of being a football club. The first thing people see is the Win / Loss record, but the next thing people look at is the type of club we are. Do we want to be the type of club that has burnt 4 coaches in 4 years. Personally I don't. Let him explain and give them man his chance.

Delboy

First Grade
Mits, results speak for themselves, on reflection the last time I felt we were devoid of a game plan was under Ron H, and that was due to the fact we cut funding to rebuild and rebrand the Leagues Club. No way should we have performed as we did with the roster we had, I see staff come and go, me included,and if it means a better "business" performance then it is acceptable.

I can't think of anyone who improved this year, Tim Mannah in the front row did that as he grew in the role, the rest of them meh, no set moves and a lack of structure goes to one person, and I think he needs to be accountable. If he advises the board that a new direction or whatever is being undertaken, then that is what a business should do, otherwise "more of the same" not wanted

fish eel

Immortal
I think it's a bit misleading to say if Ando goes we've burnt through 4 coaches in 4 years.

We hardly 'burnt' through Smith, and Taylor was always a short term appointment once Smith left early.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm on the fence about all this. I fully understand those who say we've played without structure all year, no moves etc.

Ando can't really blame his playing roster either considering that they made it to the GF last year. So it's either that he's failed to lift his team mentally or if other clubs has work us out, then he failed to adapt accordingly.

Happy for him to be punted and happy for him to be given another go.

sarahk

Juniors
I do like Ando but i think that alot of us don't know whats going on at the club exactly. To us it looks as if Andersons being exiled in an unprofessional manner by the Board yet for all we know there's alot more to it.

I will not get over when Anderson went to shake Mateo's hand after the Broncos (?) game and Mateo just looked so cold and didn't really care that Ando was congratulating him. It just wasn't a good sign and Ando just might not have the respect from players that he should have.

I wouldn't mind him staying because i think we owe it to him to see out his contract especially now that he has got his team, but at the end of the day i just want all these issues to be sorted so that i can stop stressing about off-field dramas that my club is having.

Mits, results speak for themselves, on reflection the last time I felt we were devoid of a game plan was under Ron H, and that was due to the fact we cut funding to rebuild and rebrand the Leagues Club. No way should we have performed as we did with the roster we had, I see staff come and go, me included,and if it means a better "business" performance then it is acceptable.

Yes, that it is acceptable to remove high profile, but under-performing players from our Roster, and to try to attract players in positions we are lacking. We have been trying to find a halfback almost all year. Krippy, while I love the kid hasn't shown his potential at this level, neither has Mortimer. I think either of them will make a fine 5/8th but we already have a stellar 5/8th come full back so we need someone to steer the attack and then let Jarryd produce the Magic. I have gone through games in my head. Yes we have had game plans, and nearly all of them have worked when they have fallen to Jarryd and he has executed. The Panthers, Broncos and even the loss to the Titans, the flair came from Hayne off the hard work from the forward and easy ball distribution. The problem all along has been executing these attacking plays. Our execution has been disgracefully this year, I have seen bottom placed NSWRL sides execute better then us, and most of the time it is done to us trying to play with Flair. We can not survive on flair alone, we had 3 very skillful players that like to through the ball around or rely on their flair. 2 of them are gone which will surely mean a move back to some more structured football that allows for game plans to be executed. They review must come, but if the recommendations of the review line up with DA's vision for the future, then he would have suffered the old saying. One who sees the future must suffer it two fold.

We have some hard heads coming to the club who want a chance, we have some hard working young kids looking to cement a place, be that in first grade or in the starting side.

We just need something to pull them together and direct them on the field. We need a half to execute any game plan the coach might have and not throw the ball willy nilly hoping for something to happen, we need to side to MAKE things happen.

I can't think of anyone who improved this year, Tim Mannah in the front row did that as he grew in the role, the rest of them meh, no set moves and a lack of structure goes to one person, and I think he needs to be accountable. If he advises the board that a new direction or whatever is being undertaken, then that is what a business should do, otherwise "more of the same" not wanted

Justin Horo has improved out of site considering the Kid I saw last year at Wenty. Jono has improved. Cayless had his best year in a few for his last, Hayne is improving as a fullback positionally, no doubts some blokes are horribly out of form. Matt Keating, Jeff Robson and Daniel Mortimer the main offenders there, and then the spine of your team is under performing there is not much you can do. Still with the rest of the side we did what we could, a few bounces of the ball or a few kicks go over and we are up to it in our necks. We have a harder mental attitude and we take out the Sharks twice and we are in the top 4. We need someone to execute the plays on the pitch. We need an old head to guide us. The Players have been asking for it. Our mutual friend has said the coach has been trying to find it. We all realize where the year went wrong. This years failure is not rocket science, and it is up to DA to fix it.

I believe he will get the chance, and if he does I am quite sure he will show everyone that he knew all along what needed to happen. This is a side on the rise, don't cruel that with un-needed changes.

I think it's a bit misleading to say if Ando goes we've burnt through 4 coaches in 4 years.

We hardly 'burnt' through Smith, and Taylor was always a short term appointment once Smith left early.

You going to add something to the discussion or just pick up on Semantics? I thought that was my job during the election period.

fish eel

Immortal
You going to add something to the discussion or just pick up on Semantics? I thought that was my job during the election period.

No mate, it's just you said something along the lines of you didn't want our club to be one who had burnt through 4 coaches in 4 years. I don't think it's semantics at all, I just think it's wrong.

bartman

Immortal
Smith choose to leave early (because he was a goose who had a tantrum when told with reasonable notice that he wasn't to be offered another five years.

Taylor certainly didn't consider himself a short term appointment, and considering the trunaround he was able to engineer following the mess Smith left, he can feel rightly "burnt".

Hagan signed a three year contract, but chose to leave early after two.

If the Board punts DA as a pre-election stunt, then I think MITS' comnent that the club would have burnt through four coaches in the space of four years is entirely valid.

Casper The Ghost

First Grade
Yes, that it is acceptable to remove high profile, but under-performing players from our Roster, and to try to attract players in positions we are lacking. We have been trying to find a halfback almost all year. Krippy, while I love the kid hasn't shown his potential at this level, neither has Mortimer. I think either of them will make a fine 5/8th but we already have a stellar 5/8th come full back so we need someone to steer the attack and then let Jarryd produce the Magic. I have gone through games in my head. Yes we have had game plans, and nearly all of them have worked when they have fallen to Jarryd and he has executed. The Panthers, Broncos and even the loss to the Titans, the flair came from Hayne off the hard work from the forward and easy ball distribution. The problem all along has been executing these attacking plays. Our execution has been disgracefully this year, I have seen bottom placed NSWRL sides execute better then us, and most of the time it is done to us trying to play with Flair. We can not survive on flair alone, we had 3 very skillful players that like to through the ball around or rely on their flair. 2 of them are gone which will surely mean a move back to some more structured football that allows for game plans to be executed. They review must come, but if the recommendations of the review line up with DA's vision for the future, then he would have suffered the old saying. One who sees the future must suffer it two fold.

We have some hard heads coming to the club who want a chance, we have some hard working young kids looking to cement a place, be that in first grade or in the starting side.

We just need something to pull them together and direct them on the field. We need a half to execute any game plan the coach might have and not throw the ball willy nilly hoping for something to happen, we need to side to MAKE things happen.

Justin Horo has improved out of site considering the Kid I saw last year at Wenty. Jono has improved. Cayless had his best year in a few for his last, Hayne is improving as a fullback positionally, no doubts some blokes are horribly out of form. Matt Keating, Jeff Robson and Daniel Mortimer the main offenders there, and then the spine of your team is under performing there is not much you can do. Still with the rest of the side we did what we could, a few bounces of the ball or a few kicks go over and we are up to it in our necks. We have a harder mental attitude and we take out the Sharks twice and we are in the top 4. We need someone to execute the plays on the pitch. We need an old head to guide us. The Players have been asking for it. Our mutual friend has said the coach has been trying to find it. We all realize where the year went wrong. This years failure is not rocket science, and it is up to DA to fix it.

I believe he will get the chance, and if he does I am quite sure he will show everyone that he knew all along what needed to happen. This is a side on the rise, don't cruel that with un-needed changes.

Great work Mark, you capture most of my sentiments about this predicament.

Eels Dude

Coach
Smith choose to leave early (because he was a goose who had a tantrum when told with reasonable notice that he wasn't to be offered another five years.

Taylor certainly didn't consider himself a short term appointment, and considering the trunaround he was able to engineer following the mess Smith left, he can feel rightly "burnt".

Hagan signed a three year contract, but chose to leave early after two.

If the Board punts DA as a pre-election stunt, then I think MITS' comnent that the club would have burnt through four coaches in the space of four years is entirely valid.

Taylor well and truly knew he was a short term replacement as Hagan was signed as head coach in January of '06 and Brian Smith didn't quite till around May of '06. In fact Taylor had already signed as assistant coach at Souths well prior to being made interim coach at Parra when Smithy left.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Taylor well and truly knew he was a short term replacement as Hagan was signed as head coach in January of '06 and Brian Smith didn't quite till around May of '06. In fact Taylor had already signed as assistant coach at Souths well prior to being made interim coach at Parra when Smithy left.

I will have to agree there. Eels Dude did not pull that out of his ass.

Djay

Juniors
I get the feeling the club is trying to force DA out but in a sly way. I haven't read this whole thread just the last page but from what I am hearing DA did not want Webb and Maitua they were Ozzy's signings. So if DA does not have control over who is signing I see it that the club is trying to upset or force DA out of the job.

Latest posts