What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Price Resign

Should Price Resign

• Total voters

Mr Red

First Grade
The Boards findings will not contradict their previous assessment of the coach made in April when they extended his contract. The review finding will provide justification in terms of extraordinary circumstances eg injuries etc that influenced the poor results this year.

If the review found otherwise ie. that Price should be sacked, it would be an extremely poor reflection on their abilities as adminstrators..after all they are only carrying out this review to save their own positions and justify their previously known intentions.

I think we need a miracle for the conclusion we are all hoping for!!

i kinda agree with your thinking, however they would really open themselves up for even stronger criticism if after say 6 rounds Price gets sacked... what quality would the review of been if that eventuates?

Gomarchin

Juniors
The Boards findings will not contradict their previous assessment of the coach made in April when they extended his contract. The review finding will provide justification in terms of extraordinary circumstances eg injuries etc that influenced the poor results this year.

If the review found otherwise ie. that Price should be sacked, it would be an extremely poor reflection on their abilities as adminstrators..after all they are only carrying out this review to save their own positions and justify their previously known intentions.

I think we need a miracle for the conclusion we are all hoping for!!
The review will also blame the defensive deficiencies on Steve Folkes whose contract was not renewed = easy scapegoat. And also - Price has also given up coaching Samoa so he can plan for 2014. FMD.

What happens if we're 3 wins and 3 losses after 6 rounds (like this year) but then go on to finish (like this year) bottom 4??

Another wasted year. That's 3 years but maybe we should give Price a 4th year to prove that he can coach under an "better" roster in 2015.

The review will also blame the defensive deficiencies on Steve Folkes whose contract was not renewed = easy scapegoat. And also - Price has also given up coaching Samoa so he can plan for 2014. FMD.

What happens if we're 3 wins and 3 losses after 6 rounds (like this year) but then go on to finish (like this year) bottom 4??

Another wasted year. That's 3 years but maybe we should give Price a 4th year to prove that he can coach under an "better" roster in 2015.

My gut Feeling is that Steve Price will see out his contract next year - regardless. On that basis, if we are 1 from 6 or less, the CEO may announce that his contract will not be renewed for 2014 and the board buy themselves time to search.

Anything better and they will probably announce they'll give him until the end of the year.

While all this plays out over the course of next season, the financial Position of the Club will continue to deteriorate with reduced Membership, gate takings and and even leagues Club Revenue from Patrons etc, and heaven forbid if we lose a Major Sponsor as a consequence - it will be hard to attract new ones.

The Situation becomes more dire, and Club becomes more desperate and the excuses become financial. It's a spiral.

That's what happens when the management culture is the "let's wait and see what happens to us" (re-actionary) type ...instead of the "let's make something happen for us - now" (proactive) type.

Options reduce.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
My gut Feeling is that Steve Price will see out his contract next year - regardless. On that basis, if we are 1 from 6 or less, the CEO may announce that his contract will not be renewed for 2014 and the board buy themselves time to search.

Anything better and they will probably announce they'll give him until the end of the year.

While all this plays out over the course of next season, the financial Position of the Club will continue to deteriorate with reduced Membership, gate takings and and even leagues Club Revenue from Patrons etc, and heaven forbid if we lose a Major Sponsor as a consequence - it will be hard to attract new ones.

The Situation becomes more dire, and Club becomes more desperate and the excuses become financial. It's a spiral.

That's what happens when the management culture is the "let's wait and see what happens to us" (re-actionary) type ...instead of the "let's make something happen for us - now" (proactive) type.

Options reduce.

Very ' half glass empty' kind of statement from you BFD?
Not in anyway trying to sugar coat things and I think the obvious has been stated eleventy million times in the last 2 months.
We get it.... But, you as a CEO, would appreciate you must continue with the positive spin and outlook for what lies ahead? No?
Don't be so naive to think the club hasn't listened to fans, or think that Price is the best man for the job, or his position is safe, or they are happy with results. It's just that it is not our MO to air dirty laundry or leak information to the press. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that doesn't get discussed publicly or otherwise....and nor should it.
Some may disagree but I like to think of it as maintaining a dignified stance and not having to publically make excuses or lay blame for events that clearly are un-acceptable.
There is not a hope in hell you will see a retraction or admission of poor performance from decision makers until there is a better option signed, sealed and delivered ( no songs please :D).
Make of that what you will but I don't expect otherwise from the Dragons board. You offer good views and I enjoy your posts. Cheers BFD.

Very ' half glass empty' kind of statement from you BFD?
Not in anyway trying to sugar coat things and I think the obvious has been stated eleventy million times in the last 2 months.
We get it.... But, you as a CEO, would appreciate you must continue with the positive spin and outlook for what lies ahead? No?
Don't be so naive to think the club hasn't listened to fans, or think that Price is the best man for the job, or his position is safe, or they are happy with results. It's just that it is not our MO to air dirty laundry or leak information to the press. There is a lot going on behind the scenes that doesn't get discussed publicly or otherwise....and nor should it.
Some may disagree but I like to think of it as maintaining a dignified stance and not having to publically make excuses or lay blame for events that clearly are un-acceptable.
There is not a hope in hell you will see a retraction or admission of poor performance from decision makers until there is a better option signed, sealed and delivered ( no songs please :D).
Make of that what you will but I don't expect otherwise from the Dragons board. You offer good views and I enjoy your posts. Cheers BFD.

yes, v good points in response JB.
I think you are right.
I hope you are.
I am really worried the Problem is Money.
There's more evidence of that appearing.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
yes, v good points in response JB.
I think you are right.
I hope you are.
I am really worried the Problem is Money.
There's more evidence of that appearing.

Mate...don't let anyone pull the wool over your eyes.
The naysayers on here would have you believe all of the crap the press write.

Too many Chicken Littles in here with little heart and soul for my liking. Always looking for a negative spin....always.
The Dragons have and always will be a strong club, regardless of the crap some of these pea hearts write or quote......sure, we have our ups and downs, our good years, our bad years. Roll with the punches and deal with it. That's what we were taught?
The second class citizens amongst us (journalists, trolls and band wagoners) will always go for a negative angle......always.....! Why would 'supporters' continuously say negative things about a club they 'support'?
When you follow the mighty Dragons, it's for life or don't bother...better or worse....sickness and health...Price era or Bennett era...

F**k 'em I say, go follow the scum otherwise. :D

stgill2001

Juniors
Plenty of excuses around the age of our team

Newcastle has just proved that dad's army can play good footy and age doesn't matter.

So as far as I'm aware there are no excuses left in the basket for mr price and co.
:crazy:

tumbidragon

First Grade
Our side wasn't even that old so it was BS to begin with... We had 2 players over 30 in our 25 man squad ffs... Most of the harping about age was the Price apologists used as an excuse for the shit performances... That age myth was well and truly busted. Even more so with Newcastle's Dad's Army squad.

TruSaint

Referee
Mason 33 years old
Buderus 35 years old
Smith 33 years old
Scott 30 years old
Gidley 31 years old
Hilder 31 years old

Yep they are doing all right under Benny.

watatank

Coach
I don't think we are an ageing squad now but I think we were an ageing squad in 2010/11. Perhaps that's what the references about the ageing squad are referring to, what has happened since.

Young, Hornby retired last year. Gasnier retired the year before. This year Cooper, Fien retire. Weyman is shot and wasn't wanted by anyone in the NRL, not even Bennett. Even Creagh is shot to some extent IMO, he only signed a two year deal with an option which at his age indicates he is not sure how long his body can hold up.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
I don't think we are an ageing squad now but I think we were an ageing squad in 2010/11. Perhaps that's what the references about the ageing squad are referring to, what has happened since.

Young, Hornby retired last year. Gasnier retired the year before. This year Cooper, Fien retire. Weyman is shot and wasn't wanted by anyone in the NRL, not even Bennett. Even Creagh is shot to some extent IMO, he only signed a two year deal with an option which at his age indicates he is not sure how long his body can hold up.

Agree with all of this pal.

Makes Bird an even higher priority for the back row.

And does everyone else remember when we were the NRL's Prop Factory? WTF happened there?

Dezziedc

Juniors
Mason 33 years old
Buderus 35 years old
Smith 33 years old
Scott 30 years old
Gidley 31 years old
Hilder 31 years old

Yep they are doing all right under Benny.

This here is the key to this thread. This is the way Bennett builds his team and this is what he does well. He did it here at the dragons and now hes doing it at the knights. Not many coaches work the same way and have great success. I don't think you can suggest that because Bennett does it this way, every coach can do it. They all work differently.

At this point of the season there are no excuses - but lets wait until the pre-season and the season begin to see how the team has fared...

Slippery Morris

First Grade
What about Toovey, he has Kite, King (like Coops injury prone) and others that were in grand finals before 2010 and has got them performing. Started his career same time as Price with a bad offseason of trying to hold onto his squad from the scum dogs trying to poach Foran and Hassler sagas. Price has no excuses whatsoever.