What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should Price Resign

Should Price Resign

• Total voters

Slippery Morris

First Grade
If he really was a top bloke as all say he is he would resign, take some responsibility for the poor results/performances, or attend forums or other events to face the fans and show he really cares. He instead hides and lets poor Doust face the disgruntled fans (eg fan forum), blame the roster whether it be injuries or not good enough roster, blame lapses or excecution (in other words I tell them what to do but they dont execute on the field).

Just saying if it was me in this position I would be doing my best to win the fans over by trying to offer some reassurances about the future and show how much I realy want to improve performances. When you are in tough positions like this is when you need to do more interaction not less. When you are cruising there is nothing you need to say to justify yourself like Price is doing now. He is acting more like a coach who thinks things are sweet than one than knows there is alot of work to be done and we need you all to support us.

Top bloke, my arse. Arrogant idiot more like it.

29 people honestly think he should not resign. Wow, hopefully they are trolls or Price relatives cause I have not seen anyone yet who would agree. Even non dragons supporters think he is rubbish.

...don't know if this is a good pole. It's flawed in a couple of ways.

if it remains a Black or White only choice, it should be asking should he be sacked. As has been stated by others (Rev I think?) Steve Price did not Appoint himself. He is not going to resign for the good of the Team, or indeed any reason, and forgo a qtr mil $ or whatever his contracted remuneration is - i wouldn't.

Secondly, there Needs to be some middle ground. If on a scale of 1-5 (strongly agree to strongly disagree) whether the board should move to replace Steve Price you'd see a more accurate result. I don't think you'd come up with 29 strongly disagrees. People Need to be allowed to be measured in their Response or qualify it.

On the Point of non communication - I must admit, I have real Problems with this one.

In Terms of better Managing public Relations, to me the circumstances Warrant having a Statement from the man himself. I can only read into it that there is still stuff going on as part of the Review, and Dragons don't air their dirty laundry as JB pointed out, which I respect. But if it were me in that Position as Coach and believed so much in what I was doing and expected Players and supporters to "buy into it", like not appearing at the fan Forum, I could not possibly not communicate with my fans and critics alike.

Steve Price has precious Little credibility from his results thus far, it is made much worse by appearing to be hiding. Everyone at Dragons has been interviewed on Dragons TV to give their opinion on "what went wrong", "what we learned", and "what would you say to the supporters" etc ...all except the Coach himself.

Seriously, just a Statement from Steve Price with just a Little bit of insight, combined with some passion, a tiny bit of humility, would in my books go such a long way to improving my regard for, and confidence in, him.

However, as has been said, it's probably still not yet sorted.

jenninga

First Grade
Being a good u20s coach doesn't equate to being a good coach.

Of course it can,just some can't make the step up,same as a player.Some coaches relate better to the younger guys,however man managing at senior level is very different.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If he really was a top bloke as all say he is he would resign
C'mon Slippery, Price's character as a good bloke is not decided by whether or not he resigns as coach. Remember who appointed him, and extended his contract. Price doesn't have to turn his back on job which he probably believes he is working very hard at. It's the club that is responsible for hiring, firing and if neccessary, pushing.

Slippery Morris said:
take some responsibility for the poor results/performances, or attend forums or other events to face the fans and show he really cares. He instead hides and lets poor Doust face the disgruntled fans (eg fan forum), blame the roster whether it be injuries or not good enough roster, blame lapses or excecution (in other words I tell them what to do but they dont execute on the field).
Poor Doust? He is the CEO and the board take his recommendations. I'm afraid that's where the buck stops, so Peter Doust more than anyone should be the one fronting the fans. Granted, Price should be there as well.

Slippery Morris said:
Just saying if it was me in this position I would be doing my best to win the fans over by trying to offer some reassurances about the future and show how much I realy want to improve performances. When you are in tough positions like this is when you need to do more interaction not less. When you are cruising there is nothing you need to say to justify yourself like Price is doing now. He is acting more like a coach who thinks things are sweet than one than knows there is alot of work to be done and we need you all to support us.

Top bloke, my arse. Arrogant idiot more like it.
Of course you're entitled to that opinion and there's no doubting your passion. Equally, you can submit the 'what if' scenario of you would do if you were in the same position as the coach, but the fact is that you are different individual.

Slippery Morris said:
29 people honestly think he should not resign. Wow, hopefully they are trolls or Price relatives cause I have not seen anyone yet who would agree. Even non dragons supporters think he is rubbish.
Well the OP has made it a public poll - which isn't really appropriate imo. But it does enable you to see who voted and deliver your verbal puches directly if you like. Not very friendly, but I suspect that's why the poll was done in that manner.

Neverthelsss, people are still entitled to their views, and no one should feel intimidated into holding a view that is contrary to their beliefs or remain silent for fear of being told what to think.

FTR, don't really care what non-Saints supporters think.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Well, I am happy with the design of the Poll and I stick by my view that Price should resign mainly because he has not been able to deliver the goods. Price was given every opportunity and a dream run in the lead up to his appointment as head coach.

It is clear to me that it is not the cattle. Members might remember when an external coach was brought in to assist with the attack. The team performed well for the following few weeks and then returned to previous form. Members might also remember seeing some glimpses of good form throughout the season which evidences my belief that the cattle were up to it but either not prepared for it or the game plan was not on the money. Most concerning was the poor team selections each week i.e. Stanley, Fien, Green, Prior at centre etc.

Over 75% of members who have voted believe that Price should resign.

Fence sitters do not need to vote if they don't wish to make their view on this subject public. You can clearly see how some prominant members have elected to comment but not vote.

A Price resignation with a negotiated settlement could be achieved and in my opinion would be in the best interest of the Club.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
OK at the end of the day Price is doing a job and getting paid well. He has a family to support so why would he resign? If he resigns he would have to look for a new job and lets face it I cant see anyone rushing to hire him.

Its up to Doust to sack him as I can't see him resigning.

The best case scenario is for Price to remain as an assistant coach and they get a new head coach. Closest thing to a win win situation on all parties especially if Price retains his salary.

Old_Timer

Juniors
Nah Slippery I want him gone full stop. I don't want our players reflecting on these two seasons past, every time they cross his path. A new work ethic needs to be forthcoming.

I would happily scribe Mr Price's next job application, at no fee as well.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fence sitters do not need to vote if they don't wish to make their view on this subject public. You can clearly see how some prominant members have elected to comment but not vote.
Just to clarify, are you saying that people who don't vote should also abstain from commenting?

Not voting in a forum poll does not make one a fence sitter.
And no offence, but - to put it bluntly - the poll sucks. Not enough options for a start, amongst other things.

jenninga

First Grade
What a ridiculous thread.As if Price thinks he should resign.
If he is struggling personally with pressure sure he might decide to quit.
Possm,if you think you are doing well at work but your colleagues don't think you are,would you do the honourable thing and quit.Bet you don't ,it would be up to your boss to flick you.
This thread should have been,should Price be SACKED,then you probably won't get too many fence sitters with splinters in their arse.

getsmarty

Immortal
Possm,if you think you are doing well at work but your colleagues don't think you are,would you do the honourable thing and quit.Bet you don't ,it would be up to your boss to flick you.
This thread should have been,should Price be SACKED,then you probably won't get too many fence sitters with splinters in their arse.

Well said..and Yes, he should be sacked.

big pat

Coach
Dat twernt Satan dat doth spake toes words unto me Cagey.

It was Father Fitzerald, Parish Priest of Saint Patrick's Church Kogarah, when me black and white piccy of Betty Grable slipped outa me pocket, when I waz changin into me altar boy clobber for sunday Mass a few weeks back.:)

ot, nothing wrong with betty grable, she would run rings around some of todays starlets.

possm

Coach
Just to clarify, are you saying that [/FONT][/COLOR]people who don't vote should also abstain from commenting?

Not voting in a forum poll does not make one a fence sitter. And no offence, but - to put it bluntly - the poll sucks. Not enough options for a start, amongst other things.

No to your first question.

I don't think it sucks but you are entitled to your opinion. My aim was to view members opinion on this subject.

big pat

Coach
My aim was to view members opinion on this subject,

17 pages of opinion, looks like you got what you aim for.

possm

Coach

If I was not doing well at work then I would find it hard to believe I was doing well at work.

If my results at work were as bad a Price's results over the past two years, I would definately go and find another job.

I don't pretend to have all the answers however, I knew mid last year that Price was not up to it and said so. Another season wasted and it seems we are going to do it all again in 2014.

The opinion of members that have voted in this thread is that Price should resign; that is a fact.

Old_Timer

Juniors
.....if you think you are doing well at work but your colleagues don't think you are,would you do the honourable thing and quit.....

I have tapped the odd colleague or two on the shoulder.Then one day I got tapped.

Being a colleague implies a far greater burden of responsibility, than just being a work mate.

64 Dragon

Coach
Maybe the poll should have been titled "Should Price be asked to resign?"
I don't think the Dragons will sack him. It's not the Dragons way. Asking him quit to puts the onus back on him.

bottle

Coach
So if you don't vote you're accused of being a fence sitter.
If you do vote and it happens to be against the majority you're accused of being a relative or a troll.

Nice pincer movement.

It's called a difference of opinion. It happens in life. Learn to live with it.

possm

Coach
I'm all for a difference of opinion.

Members may have a variety of reasons for not voting and that's fine with me.

I've never accused anyone of being a relative or troll.

The thrust of my post/thread is 'should Price resign' - the idea of him resigning should be seen as an avenue for a dignified exit rather than anything else. My view is that the longer he stays on the more hostile the fans/members will become and the more scarred his reputation will be. Just look at how many members have formed a different opinion on Price since mid last year.

My reason for creating this thread is to hopefully test the membership's view on this subject and as it appears, the majority of members who have voted believe he should resign.

If a member provides a compelling argument against my opinion, I am always happy to change my stance and have done so many times in the past.

I hope I have never criticized any member for holding a view contrary to mine. If I have it was either unintentional or a regretable mistake and I give my oppologies if this is the case.

Last edited: