What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Dugan

nrlnrl

First Grade
He'll probably take under's to go to Brisbane then.

Now that Norman's move to Parra has gone public, expect the Dugan to Broncos deal to follow . He mightn't play for a while though - NRL suspension ( around 4 weeks ? )

Dragons4lyf95

Juniors
we're still in it..

Sacked Canberra star Josh Dugan has suddenly become the prize in an NRL signing tug-of-war between a cashed-up St George Illawarra and Brisbane side desperately needing some attacking strike.

The Dragons were hot favourites to pick up Dugan before the weekend.

But confirmation on Monday young Broncos gun Corey Norman is headed to Parramatta in 2014 quickly led to speculation Brisbane's interest in Dugan had drastically intensified.

Brisbane wished Norman well in the future in a statement on their website on Monday after the Eels confirmed his signing for three years for close to $1.5 million.

Advertisement
But they refused to comment when contacted by AAP on whether his departure would mean they go all out to sign bad boy Dugan as his fullback replacement.

Dugan is managed by the same player agent who represented Norman.

His father is a massive Dragons fan but insiders say Brisbane appeals to him as a big city, a one-team town with a club which could resurrect his representative career.

A sticking point for Brisbane would be if Dugan expects to earn the reported $500,000-a-season he was pulling at the Raiders; the Dragons in a position to drop that kind of money now, the Broncos seemingly unable to unless they could get a heavily back-ended contract approved by salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

Whichever club lands his signature will have hope the NRL agree to register him, something which could take weeks.

And if they do, whether the contract would include any special conditions.

Canberra officials provided the NRL with a `Dugan dossier' last week, which is believed to contain a string of off-field breaches by the 22 year-old, dumped by the club after he posted pictures of himself on Facebook drinking two weeks ago while injured.

Because of confidentiality laws, clubs interested in signing Dugan are unlikely to obtain a copy of the Raiders' dirt dossier.

The NRL is currently reviewing Canberra's report and weighing up whether it would register Dugan should a contract be presented to them.

It would need to be satisfied the contract fits under the salary cap and also that the player had had sufficient time to address any issues to prevent a recurrence in the future.

There are a number of options open to the NRL.

It could refuse to register the player or register him on a conditional contract.

looks like broncos are going to struggle to afford him or match the dragons offer, hopfully he comes to us we got enough spare cash and he would be handy also hes ex girlfriend moved up to brisbane for the time being not permanent and hes father is a massive dragons fan.. i guess well see what happens

Country Dragon

Juniors
Bullshit. We have nothing at the moment. We need something. Dugan is a class player. If we miss him then next year is even bleaker. Unless we have a new coach.

I'm not a huge Dugan fan BUT, the way we are going we need someone like him who can provide that X- factor. Break the bank so at least we don't get the spoon!

Big man

Juniors
Unfortunately for you poor buggers, Dugan's girlfriend who is expecting his child is moving back to Brisbane, I'd say it is a pretty big incentive for him to be close to his child.

Dugans girlfriend said in an interview that the split wasn't mutual and that she wanted to stay in the relationship because of the kids alluding to fact that he flicked her so he may want to be as far away from her as possible,her in Brisbane him in Wollongong maybe!but sounds like he needs to get his shit together regardless of where he goes because his life is starting to resemble a train wreck.hows that for positivity old timer ? Lol

hardbaby

Coach
The Norman money (probably closer to $400K/season) shows just how much money the Dragons will need to throw at a gun half. I hope Doust realises that he is going to have to go huge to get Williams and probably pretty high to get someone like Townsend.

Saintsified

Bench
Gerard Beale says Josh Dugan would be welcome at Dragons
BY:DAN KOCH From: The Australian March 22, 2013 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print

A POTENTIAL move by troubled Josh Dugan to Wollongong has won support from a most unlikely source, with the joint venture's key off-season signing and incumbent fullback Gerard Beale declaring he would welcome the former Blues custodian "with open arms".

The 2013 pre-season was a big one for Beale. Not only did he make a major move professionally -- heading to the Dragons after five seasons with Brisbane -- the versatile Kiwi also became a father when his partner, Roimata Ransfield, gave birth to the couple's first child, Nixon.

"Yeah, I guess the move was pretty easy for me . . . Roimata was nine months pregnant when we had to do the drive down so it was a fair effort from her," Beale, 22, said.

"Obviously leaving Brisbane wasn't easy. Before last year I had never really thought about playing anywhere except the Broncos.

"I had been part of their program since I was a teenager. But thing change. The move to the Dragons just seemed like the right thing to do at this stage of my career and my life.

"I suppose that was the other thing I was taking into consideration, you know. My decisions these days aren't just about me . . . I have a family to consider as well and after speaking with the Dragons, it just seemed to tick all the boxes."

More precisely, Dragons coach Steve Price offered Beale a chance to start in his favoured position at fullback -- an opportunity he was unlikely to have at the Broncos, with Anthony Griffin indicating a preference for fellow young guns Josh Hoffman and Corey Norman in the No 1 jumper.

"I probably needed to make the change to have a chance to show what I can do and develop my game," Beale said.

"Brisbane was amazing for me. There is so much talent there -- there's competition for every spot and I learnt a lot. But the move here has been great and I know we haven't got off to the greatest of starts but I have seen what the guys here are capable of on the training track.

"I have been a part of some really good sides and this group here has the talent and skill to really challenge the best teams in the competition.

"But just at the moment we aren't capitalising on the chances we are creating. That last little piece of the puzzle hasn't fallen into place yet, but I know it's not far away and when it clicks, like I said, I know the group here is capable of playing some really good football."

Of course, in a competition as cut-throat as the NRL, sliding that "final piece" into place is often easier said than done.

Glance through the teams that have dominated in recent years and all feature those rare players coaches like to call match-winners. Players such as Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Jamie Lyon or Johnathan Thurston, who possess the talent and skill to bamboozle opposing defences and turn matches in the blink of an eye.

While Dugan's attitude and application has come under fire since he was dumped by the Raiders for breaches of team protocol, not once has his ability been in doubt.

And while more than happy to leave the decision in the hands of Dragons management, Beale said he had no qualms about welcoming Dugan to the club.

"He has played Origin football. He has been in the All-Stars -- I mean anyone who has seen Josh when he is fit and going knows how good a player he can be," said Beale.

"I obviously don't know where discussions are at with the club, but if he is going to come here and wants to play and wants to be part of what the club is building here, then I think we would all love to have a guy like him here.

"I am part of a team here and I'll do whatever is best for the team. Right at the moment that is continuing to improve my play at fullback. I hope for his (Dugan's) sake he finds a new home soon. He is too good a player to be lost to the game."

nrlnrl

First Grade
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...brisbane-broncos/story-e6frexp0-1226605797980

EXCLUSIVE: BRISBANE are poised to immediately offset Corey Norman's defection to Parramatta, with axed Raider Josh Dugan travelling to Broncos HQ to inspect the club's facilities this week.
Norman yesterday announced he'd signed a three-year deal to join the Eels next season, triggering a ripple effect through the recruitment market.

His departure frees up money for the Broncos to stave off interest from St George Illawarra and secure Dugan on a healthy long-term deal. The Daily Telegraph understands the 22-year-old plans to meet Broncos officials from today, after flying north yesterday. Now resigned to missing Dugan, the winless Dragons - who have scored just six tries from three outings - are focusing all their energy on recruiting a new playmaker to remedy their attacking woes. Gold Coast understudy Jordan Rankin is understood to be closest to signing, but overtures have been made to Newcastle prodigy Tyrone Roberts and Castleford's Rangi Chase.

And in a worrying sign for under-fire coach Steve Price, recruitment manager Craig Young and CEO Peter Doust have been doing the lion's share of recent negotiations. According to player agents involved with negotiations at St George Illawarra, Price has been less hands-on in recent weeks as his future falls into deeper uncertainty with each defeat.

Until Norman put pen to paper, the Eels had also been struggling to land decent recruitment since signing Chris Sandow almost two years ago. But Brisbane's decision to resurrect Scott Prince's career at the expense of Norman's development at five eighth proved the deal-maker for Parramatta. Having not hidden his desire to succeed Darren Lockyer as Brisbane's long-term five eighth, Norman was nonplussed about moving to fullback to accommodate the 33-year-old veteran this year. And with Dugan odds-on to join the Broncos within the next week, he could battle to play either position.

But that won't be the case in 2014 at Parramatta, who've been desperately seeking a five-eighth to partner Sandow all off-season. Their talks with Norman began around Christmas, and Brisbane did themselves few favours with a modest first-up offer. The Broncos responded with better money, but couldn't compete with Parramatta's $1.2 million deal, and, more importantly, the guarantee of wearing the No.6 jersey.

In return, Norman yesterday gave jittery Eels fans a promise he would not exploit the round 13 contractual loophole and repeat Josh Papalii's devastating backflip.
"I understand that under the NRL rules I have until round 13 to change my mind, but I just wanted Eels members, fans and sponsors to know that I will be standing 100 per cent by my decision to make the move to Sydney," he said.
"I have made a commitment and I will see that commitment and contract through."
Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart is still to settle on a permanent five-eighth for this season, with Ben Roberts, Joseph Paulo and Luke Kelly all sharing the role.

Last edited:

Gomarchin

Juniors
We have the most incompetent and inept recruitment team in the game. Why is Craig Young still in this position after the way he has recruited over the last 2 years? The only players he has secured in this time are fringe first graders at best or rejects from other clubs way past their best. I am sick to death of this and hate seeing this club destroyed by mediocrity and incompetence. Enough Mr Young its time to move on.

Elias1983

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...brisbane-broncos/story-e6frexp0-1226605797980

EXCLUSIVE: BRISBANE are poised to immediately offset Corey Norman's defection to Parramatta, with axed Raider Josh Dugan travelling to Broncos HQ to inspect the club's facilities this week.
Norman yesterday announced he'd signed a three-year deal to join the Eels next season, triggering a ripple effect through the recruitment market.

His departure frees up money for the Broncos to stave off interest from St George Illawarra and secure Dugan on a healthy long-term deal. The Daily Telegraph understands the 22-year-old plans to meet Broncos officials from today, after flying north yesterday. Now resigned to missing Dugan, the winless Dragons - who have scored just six tries from three outings - are focusing all their energy on recruiting a new playmaker to remedy their attacking woes. Gold Coast understudy Jordan Rankin is understood to be closest to signing, but overtures have been made to Newcastle prodigy Tyrone Roberts and Castleford's Rangi Chase.

And in a worrying sign for under-fire coach Steve Price, recruitment manager Craig Young and CEO Peter Doust have been doing the lion's share of recent negotiations. According to player agents involved with negotiations at St George Illawarra, Price has been less hands-on in recent weeks as his future falls into deeper uncertainty with each defeat.

Until Norman put pen to paper, the Eels had also been struggling to land decent recruitment since signing Chris Sandow almost two years ago. But Brisbane's decision to resurrect Scott Prince's career at the expense of Norman's development at five eighth proved the deal-maker for Parramatta. Having not hidden his desire to succeed Darren Lockyer as Brisbane's long-term five eighth, Norman was nonplussed about moving to fullback to accommodate the 33-year-old veteran this year. And with Dugan odds-on to join the Broncos within the next week, he could battle to play either position.

But that won't be the case in 2014 at Parramatta, who've been desperately seeking a five-eighth to partner Sandow all off-season. Their talks with Norman began around Christmas, and Brisbane did themselves few favours with a modest first-up offer. The Broncos responded with better money, but couldn't compete with Parramatta's $1.2 million deal, and, more importantly, the guarantee of wearing the No.6 jersey.

In return, Norman yesterday gave jittery Eels fans a promise he would not exploit the round 13 contractual loophole and repeat Josh Papalii's devastating backflip.
"I understand that under the NRL rules I have until round 13 to change my mind, but I just wanted Eels members, fans and sponsors to know that I will be standing 100 per cent by my decision to make the move to Sydney," he said.
"I have made a commitment and I will see that commitment and contract through."
Parramatta coach Ricky Stuart is still to settle on a permanent five-eighth for this season, with Ben Roberts, Joseph Paulo and Luke Kelly all sharing the role.

Price having less to do with negotiations.....Looks like Doust has made his decision, I hope he's not just trying to take some pressure off Price by helping out...

Also what I found interesting is that it says that player managers in negotiations with the Dragons...I take that as there is some activity apart from Rankin going on?

I know it's the telecrap and all...

MattYg1

Bench
Gerard Beale says Josh Dugan would be welcome at Dragons
BY:DAN KOCH From: The Australian March 22, 2013 12:00AM
Increase Text Size
Decrease Text Size
Print

A POTENTIAL move by troubled Josh Dugan to Wollongong has won support from a most unlikely source, with the joint venture's key off-season signing and incumbent fullback Gerard Beale declaring he would welcome the former Blues custodian "with open arms".

The 2013 pre-season was a big one for Beale. Not only did he make a major move professionally -- heading to the Dragons after five seasons with Brisbane -- the versatile Kiwi also became a father when his partner, Roimata Ransfield, gave birth to the couple's first child, Nixon.

"Yeah, I guess the move was pretty easy for me . . . Roimata was nine months pregnant when we had to do the drive down so it was a fair effort from her," Beale, 22, said.

"Obviously leaving Brisbane wasn't easy. Before last year I had never really thought about playing anywhere except the Broncos.

"I had been part of their program since I was a teenager. But thing change. The move to the Dragons just seemed like the right thing to do at this stage of my career and my life.

"I suppose that was the other thing I was taking into consideration, you know. My decisions these days aren't just about me . . . I have a family to consider as well and after speaking with the Dragons, it just seemed to tick all the boxes."

More precisely, Dragons coach Steve Price offered Beale a chance to start in his favoured position at fullback -- an opportunity he was unlikely to have at the Broncos, with Anthony Griffin indicating a preference for fellow young guns Josh Hoffman and Corey Norman in the No 1 jumper.

"I probably needed to make the change to have a chance to show what I can do and develop my game," Beale said.

"Brisbane was amazing for me. There is so much talent there -- there's competition for every spot and I learnt a lot. But the move here has been great and I know we haven't got off to the greatest of starts but I have seen what the guys here are capable of on the training track.

"I have been a part of some really good sides and this group here has the talent and skill to really challenge the best teams in the competition.

"But just at the moment we aren't capitalising on the chances we are creating. That last little piece of the puzzle hasn't fallen into place yet, but I know it's not far away and when it clicks, like I said, I know the group here is capable of playing some really good football."

Of course, in a competition as cut-throat as the NRL, sliding that "final piece" into place is often easier said than done.

Glance through the teams that have dominated in recent years and all feature those rare players coaches like to call match-winners. Players such as Billy Slater, Greg Inglis, Jamie Lyon or Johnathan Thurston, who possess the talent and skill to bamboozle opposing defences and turn matches in the blink of an eye.

While Dugan's attitude and application has come under fire since he was dumped by the Raiders for breaches of team protocol, not once has his ability been in doubt.

And while more than happy to leave the decision in the hands of Dragons management, Beale said he had no qualms about welcoming Dugan to the club.

"He has played Origin football. He has been in the All-Stars -- I mean anyone who has seen Josh when he is fit and going knows how good a player he can be," said Beale.

"I obviously don't know where discussions are at with the club, but if he is going to come here and wants to play and wants to be part of what the club is building here, then I think we would all love to have a guy like him here.

"I am part of a team here and I'll do whatever is best for the team. Right at the moment that is continuing to improve my play at fullback. I hope for his (Dugan's) sake he finds a new home soon. He is too good a player to be lost to the game."

While the majority of this thread has been discussing the dickheads of the NRL this article makes me stop and appreciate the real adults in the competition. I like Beale and im not sure if he will develop as a fullback, centre or a 6 but i hope he blossoms and stays with us for a while.

Sounds like a genuine bloke.

twinkletoes

Juniors
Sounds like the dragons are in totoal panic mode...trying to sign anyone that will come to the club now that Dugan is signing with Broncos. The club is a shambles with no short, medium or long term plan.

The problems we are seeing this season with our team were being discussed by everyone on this forum from the end of last season and earlier..yet noone in authority seemed to be aware or were prepared to do anything.

I think someone like Kevin Walters would have the backbone to engender some discipline and passion into our players.

Twenty10

Juniors
This is a total f**king disgrace. We can't even sign Dugan and we have all the money in the world. f**k me. The club has never been in worse shape.

st.phil

Bench
Doust and Young will maintain that they do not have a problem attracting players...honestly - they could not sign a petition. Woeful.

Latest posts