What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sign Dugan

BennyV

Referee
This is a total f**king disgrace. We can't even sign Dugan and we have all the money in the world. f**k me. The club has never been in worse shape.

Not exactly a fair statement, there are clearly other underlying factors involved - the biggest one being that Dugan wants to be close to his son. It would take a HUGE pay cheque to get him here based on that alone, and with Beale showing some class, as well as Cummins and Quinlan waiting for their shot, and Dugan's injury-proned ways, it simply wouldn't be worth going over what we are already offering.

Can't simply blame it on 'inept management' or the club being in bad shape.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Have we ever signed any stars while Craig Young has been head of recruitment? Bennett signings don't count, they came for him.

I think our most recent big name signing was Jamie Ainscough......

Gomarchin

Juniors
Here's a prediction: the club will announce the re-signing of one of the big names (Creagh, Weyman etc) coming off contract the DAY the Broncos announce they have signed Dugan.

Doust knows how to play the PR game but I'm afraid he's losing the fans with his incompetent recruitment (coach & players) and forward planning.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
When your coach doesn't want you, the club management don't want you and half the players don't want you, then I think it's fair to say you have issues. We only hear about part of it.

Having said that, Dugan's asking price would have to drop dramatically given the baggage he is carrying. The rumoured $600K offer, no way would I like to see our club fork out that much. $200K, maybe.

st.phil

Bench
Not exactly a fair statement, there are clearly other underlying factors involved - the biggest one being that Dugan wants to be close to his son. It would take a HUGE pay cheque to get him here based on that alone, and with Beale showing some class, as well as Cummins and Quinlan waiting for their shot, and Dugan's injury-proned ways, it simply wouldn't be worth going over what we are already offering.

Can't simply blame it on 'inept management' or the club being in bad shape.

benny that might be the case if they were weighing it up...but they are not...they are actively gunning for Dugan and have more space than Broncos in the cap for this year at very least and I dare say would pay overs. We don't have a couch - ceo or recruitment manager that can sway top class players. Bennett was an apparition - he took over all recruitment. Either side of his tenure we have bought budget or relied on juniors. That don't win premierships.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Tyrone Roberts would be a great pick up for teh Saints. He was sensational last night.

What about Ryan Stigg? He showed some promise last season.

BennyV

Referee
benny that might be the case if they were weighing it up...but they are not...they are actively gunning for Dugan and have more space than Broncos in the cap for this year at very least and I dare say would pay overs. We don't have a couch - ceo or recruitment manager that can sway top class players. Bennett was an apparition - he took over all recruitment. Either side of his tenure we have bought budget or relied on juniors. That don't win premierships.

I disagree with them paying 'overs' despite what the media had said. Simply put, we dont pay overs! Even Gasnier's 'massively back-ended contract' when he came back would have ended up at no more than $350,000 for his last season. With Bennett, we never attracted huge-named first graders - Boyd was on the outer at Broncos, Smith/Scott were hugely underrated at their current clubs, and so on. It may not be a perfect system, but its the way the club operates, and we are not the only ones.

What I'm saying is that given the factors (his son, his desire to play in a big city with only 1 team) means that Dugan WANTS to be in Brisbane, so would require a bigger paycheque to be convinced to come here...and I dont think our management saw the investment as worth it (and TBH, as much as he would have been nice to have, I can see where they are coming from). So they capped their offer, it wasnt enough for Dugan, he goes to Broncos. It's hardly incompetent management, it's just a realisation that there are more important things than money for Josh and there are other fish in the sea for us.

Craig93

Juniors
Tyrone Roberts would be a great pick up for teh Saints. He was sensational last night.

What about Ryan Stigg? He showed some promise last season.

I thought Stig might have been alright aswell.
He may not get a 1st grade run for some time as Tyrone is ahead of him and I
Believe he is off contract at the end of the year?

According to 2pm radio news (2GB) Dugan is in Brisbane being given a guided tour. Apparently the Broncos expect to annouce his signing towards the end of the week.

Minh

First Grade
Saints should throw a bit of money towards Tyrone Roberts, he is talented and raw and could become our next Jamie Soward story markII. He is a player I would imagine won't cost too much but has great potential.

Saints should throw a bit of money towards Tyrone Roberts, he is talented and raw and could become our next Jamie Soward story markII. He is a player I would imagine won't cost too much but has great potential.

Can't imagine Bennett letting him go. They will end up playing Roberts at half and Gidley at hooker.

We can't stop all of ours joining them, let alone one of theirs coming over to us!

Minh

First Grade
Can't imagine Bennett letting him go. They will end up playing Roberts at half and Gidley at hooker.

We can't stop all of ours joining them, let alone one of theirs coming over to us!

Exactly my thoughts after posting that and after seeing Bennett endorse Roberts in the press conference reinforces this. We should open the cheque book and try at least.

Slippery Morris

First Grade

Why did you ruin it by saying he could become the next Soward?

He would be great though.

mmap dragons

Juniors
Does anyone know anything about Blake Austin from Penrith?

A good mate of mine who is a mad Penny Panthers supporter reckons Austin and Cleary don't see eye to eye. Cleary picked Tom Humble ahead of Austin against Souffs that may shed some light on that. Good footy player.

mmap dragons

Juniors
I thought Stig might have been alright aswell.
He may not get a 1st grade run for some time as Tyrone is ahead of him and I
Believe he is off contract at the end of the year?

Yep. Stig is off contract at the end of this season, However, Roberts is contracted with the Knights till the end of 2014.

Latest posts