What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm a no for a new SJ contract.

Time to move on
Think that's pretty obvious now unless something drastic happens in the next few weeks.

I think Webster is actually in a really invidious position now, where it is probably the best move to leave SJ out - but that might have repercussions for the rest of the playing group. It's never as easy as 'drop player X, he's not in our best XVII now'

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
1 thing I will give Shaun, I found it extremely strange how post match, the camera followed him relentlessly, was almost like they were hoping to catch a smile from him as he was greeting Foran etc, but not once did the expression on his face change

Fans would have absolutely slaughtered him if there was smiles and laughter post match.

1 thing I will give Shaun, I found it extremely strange how post match, the camera followed him relentlessly, was almost like they were hoping to catch a smile from him as he was greeting Foran etc, but not once did the expression on his face change

Fans would have absolutely slaughtered him if there was smiles and laughter post match.
I was actually thinking this when the camera was following SJ. I did appreciate that there were no smiles, and also Foran reaching out, asking if he is okay (Top bloke).

AFB not shaking hands with the Titans is a no-no for me. Not Warrior-like behavior. This is why JFH is the opposite of AFB, loyal and very much a team leader who puts the team first. He will always play fair and shake the opposition's hands, win, lose, or draw.

I also appreciated Kosi showing his disappointment and not smiling after the team's and his own performance.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Man, you guys are brave, actually staying around to watch all the post-match stuff. I was in the bath at the start of the second half, while my 9 year old relayed to me how many tries were being run in. TV is a reasonably rare privilege to her, as is an uninterrupted bath to me. So it was a win for everyone.

If there's ever a World War III and I'm caught as a POW, the enemy will only need to play replays of us getting beat 66-6 while Adam Blair and Willie Poching stumble and bumble across the alphabet, trying to form it into legible sentences to get me to cough up whatever information they want.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I was actually thinking this when the camera was following SJ. I did appreciate that there were no smiles, and also Foran reaching out, asking if he is okay (Top bloke).

AFB not shaking hands with the Titans is a no-no for me. Not Warrior-like behavior. This is why JFH is the opposite of AFB, loyal and very much a team leader who puts the team first. He will always play fair and shake the opposition's hands, win, lose, or draw.

I also appreciated Kosi showing his disappointment and not smiling after the team's and his own performance.
Wow, had no idea AFB didn’t shake hands. Poor, but not entirely unexpected. I think there is definitely something to the theory of his presence bringing the squad down. The public narrative spun is that he wants to be there and is committed, I think the more likely story is he has been told he isn’t going anywhere regardless so suck it up

I get what you're saying, but is that really something to be appreciative of? If there was anything other than bitter disappointment and embarrassment on their faces after that surrender they don't deserve a jersey. I'm glad that came through but honestly, that's just bare minimum after that effort.

Agree with your comment re: AFB though... disappointment and embarrassment doesn't extend to sulking. Show some class. I still think he's a weapon of a player but the more we see of his character, the more I cant wait to see the back of him.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I get what you're saying, but is that really something to be appreciative of? If there was anything other than bitter disappointment and embarrassment on their faces after that surrender they don't deserve a jersey. I'm glad that came through but honestly, that's just bare minimum after that effort.

Agree with your comment re: AFB though... disappointment and embarrassment doesn't extend to sulking. Show some class. I still think he's a weapon of a player but the more we see of his character, the more I cant wait to see the back of him.
Seems to be a bit of unease creeping in among the sharks fans too if the AFB thread over on their forum is anything to go by.

You're right, every player should be showing bitter disappointment on a performance like that. I just wanted to acknowledge Kosi for showing his disappointment after all the negative feedback from people left,right and centre.

Rich102

Staff member
From zero tackle:
Forced from the field against the Gold Coast Titans last week due to a hamstring strain, Andrew Webster has revealed that Johnson is set to spend at least four weeks on the sidelines.

However, he has been ruled out with an Achilles injury rather than a hamstring injury.

“He's going to be out for at least four weeks. It's all around the Achilles," Webster said via the NZ Herald.

"He had ice on his hamstring, he had some hamstring tightness on the weekend but Shaun rehabbed it, it felt amazing and we took our time with him but he's just not come back the way he wanted.”

It is understood that he could possibly spend more time on the sidelines with the Warriors aiming to give him "as long as he needs" to make a full recovery.

Apologies if already posted elsewhere but just seen it myself. SJ out for 4 weeks with achilles injury that Webby says has never fully healed.

Unless there’s some porkies going on this is a real FMD moment.
WTF did they bring SJ back if he's still injured? We didn't need him and if anything, it has costed us 4 points in this competition.

Webby gets a thumbs down for this.

Let's call it now. SJ is done for 2024 and possibly his career.
It's a shame he didn't end it on a better note but that is life we must go on and salvage this season.

Rich102

Staff member
Hard judgement t6 say that he cost us 4 points. Nothing to suggest any other half would have prevented the losses. It was a team effort - or lack of.

Hard judgement t6 say that he cost us 4 points. Nothing to suggest any other half would have prevented the losses. It was a team effort - or lack of.
Stating the obvious here but we were flying okay with TMM and CHT in the halves.
SJ returns and we back to kaka.
SJ is not the sole reason but part of it.
AFB is the other issue alongside Webby's coaching decisions when it comes to playing injured players.

sup42

Juniors
WTF did they bring SJ back if he's still injured? We didn't need him and if anything, it has costed us 4 points in this competition.

Webby gets a thumbs down for this.

The Warriors to be fair have been excellent in their management of injuries since Webster took over.

I have a medical background (not as high as a Doctor lol so not pretending to be Doctor know it all but I have degrees and nearly three decades in health science so not a guy making stuff up out of the ether either).

To answer your question. why the F would the Warriors bring SJ back injured requires a long post because as with all medical discussion it is a mixture of 'it depends' and a case by case basis.

Bear in mind that older players like Johnson on year by year contracts are judged medically in terms of their ready to play status differently than other staff. Compared to a young man you are signing for three or more years, someone you can park on the sideline and not worry about, Johnson is on a one year leash. Meaning his value to the organization is week by week and therefore someone you force to give you a good week here and there while they are in their potentially last ever season.

Ergo it makes zero sense to park someone like Johnson until they achieve perfect health if they only have potentially six months or less of football left in their legs (for medical reasons that will not change no matter whether you play him or not) you might as well run them injured and Nurse them through their injuries week by week and see how much juice you can get out of the tank.

And this week by week thing is very much where the management of Johnson has been since he returned to the Warriors. This is a guy who only had one season on his contract last year. Almost won Dally M and was only given one year after those heights....because our medicos are telling Webster he is going to fall apart no matter what the club does, father time is stalking him hard.

Lets remind ourselves that he was let go by the Sharks because he was older and suffering injuries.

And this is the exact same context in which the Sharks let Metcalf go.

While both players are at the opposite ends of their arc health and age wise, the Warriors medicos looked at their health history and signed off on trialing both 'medically retired' reject halves of the Sharks.

So consider the Sharks Medicos did not want to take on Metcalfs chronic hamstring injuries and consider that the Warriors medical unit got stuck into it boots and all.

In Metcalfs case the Warriors medicos employed a bio mechanics PHD to retrain him in his gait, his stride, the way he runs, the very thing the Sharks should have tried when Metcalf had that first hammy injury, but we took it on after multiple chronic problems and managed him onto the field, some will dismiss this and say the Sharks were right we are wrong, but as someone interested in health science, I find it incredible that we re trained a player from Australia into how to run.

Even if the Metcalf experiment fails, you can bank on him recommending the Warriors to any Shark that texts him in future about a Warriors offer they recieved.

Getting back to Johnson, since the start of last season the Warriors have been managing his groin injury (long term, will not go away no matter how much he rests or rehabs) this is why Johnson our best goal kicker is not allowed to kick goals.

The Warriors medicos deserve medals for working with that issue and banning his goal kicks, a success story in injury management that almost saw a player in their absolute last run of games almost win Dally M injured.

The Achilles Webster mentions with Shaun was picked up in preseason, so this is now a discussion about how our medicos are managing old legs with a permanent groin issue, and a ankle that is stuffed, yet they get him out there week in week out. So this should help fans understand why Webster has SJ playing in a relative dinner suit and bombing on the last like a robot...because Webster knows he has an old man with buggered legs who is still the best kicker in the Warriors Roster. I feel sorry for Webster that Fans think this sport is as simple as pick my player not yours coach.

The fact Webster wakes up to every day is that If SJ stops playing injured he will never pull on a Warriors jumper ever again.

All that aside, the medical case that is my all time favorite in following the Warriors is how they recovered Mitch Barnett who has a neck so bad that he is at risk of Quadriplegia, yet the Warriors nursed him back off a crusher and took their time (there were reports he bounced back right away, but the Warriors pulled him till they could run a full rehab assessment of his neck).

I have been the Warriors medical set ups biggest critic since 95. True story, I could rant about all the screw ups and medical mishap, it stuns me that a few players I saw did not sue the club.

SJ is being played because he is getting through three simple tests while injured, a speed metric, a strength metric, and a flexibility metric.

The Hamstring is a worry, not because it is a hamstring, but because Johnson has been playing on borrowed time for about three years.

Given everything we know it will be a miracle if Johnson ever plays in the NRL again.

lastly, you guys do realise that Doctors and NRL coaches ask patients if they are up to play first?

And that the patients feedback from that question is basically king...which is why your Doctor has let you go back to work when you wanted to and your doctor was not so keen?

There is no Universe where Shaun Johnson said he was not medically ready to go while carrying an injury and was forced to play by Andrew Webster. That crap happens at other clubs and the Warriors have been guilty of it in the past too.

But not anymore, the signs are all there that we have among the best Doctors, Physios, and dietitians in the NRL just now.

Last edited:

Latest posts