What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SJ.

Cam George was very non commital this morning on the radio when asked if there was going to be a contract there for Shaun next year . He dropped into the conversation that both parties had agreed there would only be a deal on the table if SJ could guarantee 100% fitness next year
Really? Bit of an odd one.... I can understand the desire for it, but dunno how anyone could guarantee 100% fitness.

But if SJ didnt commit to it, I guess it shows he didnt trust his body to hold up. And if he was at that point, then calling time was the right call.

Shaun Hewitt

First Grade
Think it's the right call.

After last year, I can certainly see why he went around this year, unfortunately his body hasn't quite been right. Granted he has been playing busted, and potentially could have been managed better.

I'd be interested to see how he'll be remembered by fans, has he done enough to eclipse Jones as our best ever halfback?

sup42

Juniors
No surprise, been saying all year his body is done.

We should play someone else at 7 in prep for for next year. Nostalgia is the only reason to keep rolling Johnson out.

Won't happen but that's what would be best for the club.

After last year, I can certainly see why he went around this year, unfortunately his body hasn't quite been right. Granted he has been playing busted, and potentially could have been managed better.
That’s the disappointing thing for me. Easy to say in hindsight but looking back now, I do believe he (and to some extent Webster) did himself a disservice by playing busted. And that if he’d been a little more selfish, it may have worked out better for both him and the club.

I'd be interested to see how he'll be remembered by fans, has he done enough to eclipse Jones as our best ever halfback?
IMO, no. Someone might correct me statistically but my sense is Stace was more consistent over his career. I think SJ arguably had the bigger ceiling, but ultimately never quite got there.

JJ

Immortal
I'm inclined to say no, Jones slightly ahead...although *whispers* I didn't rate either of them as highly as a lot of Warriors fans do
Agree 100%. Johnson more talented, both overrated imo. Not to say both didn’t have great careers, but imo a level below Sterling, Stuart, Langer, Johns , Thurston…

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
During Jones's career I always saw him as primarily a fast, nippy halfback who had a dangerous running game. His kicking game was ok (not very long) and I always thought his passing was a bit ponderous. I rarely remember him putting teammates through gaps or creating an overlap unless he got through the line with his running game first.

I used to covet the elite Aussies halves of that era who I used to see throwing hard, long cut-out passes, creating overlaps, putting centres and second rowers into gaps. I never saw Jones as being that sort of player.

As often happens, Jones's legend seems to me to have grown in retirement above what I remember it being when he was playing - although I think the reassessment of Jones partly started in 2005 and 2006 when he steered the Kiwis around in two tri-series while past his physical prime.

Blair

Coach
Agree 100%. Johnson more talented, both overrated imo. Not to say both didn’t have great careers, but imo a level below Sterling, Stuart, Langer, Johns , Thurston…
Add Cronk, Maloney, Cherry-Evans...they all won premierships. You have to win one if you want legend status.

ozenzud

Juniors
There are some spectacular moments in his career. I will remember them and says thanks to SJ for playing our game. I can say without risk of being credibly challenged, that the game is better for him having played. He got the rewards from it as well. Both the fans and him, are better off.

Reactions: Izz

JJ

Immortal
Add Cronk, Maloney, Cherry-Evans...they all won premierships. You have to win one if you want legend status.
I don’t see Maloney there, and the not like nature of Cronk leaves me cold. Cleary and probably Mortimer in that group, DCE a bit like Mortimer a smidgen below the best (and had Foran). Alexander always a decent comparison to SJ imo, both more talented than pretty much anyone, but never quite cracked it… Alexander looked like he did 90-91 then his world fell apart, and obviously SJ did more internationally

Latest posts