What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slater or Hayne

Slater vs Hayne

• Total voters

Charlie124

First Grade
Good lord....

The answer to this question is Billy Slater, very easily. Lot of eels fans on this forum, it seems.

Loudstrat

Coach
You didnt mention big,little or any stage ...

Talking sh*t again ,shown you were wrong(yet again),& you start talking about stages....
Maybe you should get someone to read your posts before you hit submit...
Would go a long way to stop you making a complete fool of yourself continuously.

Run out of Hayne arguments - so you've lost. Bye Bye Phil - see you next year.....

It's the fans who think Marshall is complete crap/can't do anything Hayne can that irks me.
Huh? No one thinks Marshall is crap. He's brilliant.

And are you saying if you can't do everything Hayne could, you are crap?
:lol:

I never said anything about future games ...i was talking about the last couple of weeks...V cows,V Dogs,V Panthers....two BOTTOM of the table teams,& one team in top four ,who seems to only get over the line through kicks.

Wait till they play some of the top teams & see how the myth goes.
They played the second placed team last week you mong. Remember also what they did a few weeks back to Melbourne?

Do you think before you type or are you actively trying to look stupid?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I am not sure that people here are saying that Hayne has played poorly this season. More that he has not played up to the level we know and he knows he can play.

The past two weeks Hayne has been outstanding. Based on those performances Hayne would have to be the best player in the game. But you can't base that opinion on just two games.

I will admit I have not seen avery game the Eels have played this season, but I have seen a fair number of them. In my opinion in most of those games Hayne has not played at the level he is capable of. So much so that his coach Daniel Anderson thought it was warranted enough to say something publicily.

Up to two weeks ago I would rate Haynes season at about a 7. The past two weeks I would rate him a 10. But until he can more consistently play at his best he will be considered to be a disappointment.

Billy Slater may not be as naturally gifted a player as Hayne, but he makes up for that in many other ways. Through grit, determination and a will to win. Billy puts his body on the line in every game. You cannot say the same thing about Jarryd Hayne.

You might take Hayne over Slater. But as shown over the past couple of years all you will get from Hayne is about a quarter of a season of really good play. While with Slater you would get that for just about the whole season.

I would take Slater over Hayne any day of the week and I bet you my team would end up with more wins then yours.

Just on why Anderson criticised Hayne...

There were two catalysts for it:

(1) Hayne had a game in which he made a few uncharacteristic errors; and
(2) Anderson was frustrated, because he saw Hayne constantly trying to pull a victory from the jaws of defeat all by himself.

He never said he's been poor this season - far from it. Speak to him and he;ll gladly admit he has been good all year.

It's just in the last few weeks - where the entire team has clicked, I might add - that he has gone up a notch.

RHCP

Bench
Billy Slater was my pick.

He's been consistently brilliant for a long time, is the prototype of what every fullback should aspire to be. Hayne does some brilliant things, but he does them in 10 minutes spurts for 2 months of the year (I'm sure Parra fans are sick of hearing that, but it's the truth).

And just for the record, Slater's tackle on Watmough > Hayne's tackle on Stagg.

Run out of Hayne arguments - so you've lost. Bye Bye Phil - see you next year.....

You made the statement that Slater had NEVER made a tackle like Hayne's.
You were shown that you were completely wrong(nothing unusual for you Misty)..& went off on some completely different tangent about stage sizes.
So no i havnt run out of arguments ...im waiting for you to admit how wrong you are.

They played the second placed team last week you mong. Remember also what they did a few weeks back to Melbourne?
Posted by me.
I never said anything about future games ...i was talking about the last couple of weeks...V cows,V Dogs,V Panthers....two BOTTOM of the table teams,& one team in top four ,who seems to only get over the line through kicks.

How am i a mong i wrote they played a top 4 team...

& you talking about Melb.....Jesus you are grasping at straws now....

They are last.....& didnt you start a thread saying that if they were still playing for points they would be just about out of the 8.

Do you think before you type or are you actively trying to look stupid?

Oh the irony.

And just for the record, Slater's tackle on Watmough > Hayne's tackle on Stagg.

According to one "BRAIN" on here ...Slater has NEVER made a tackle like that...

Haynes was a good cover defending tackle by a FB.
Slaters was a FRONT ON tackle on one of the hardest men in RL to stop from 5mtrs out.

Parra fans will put the baby oil & tissues away after September.
Only to come out again in about RD 16 next yr.

Last edited:

Jose93

Juniors
This is the easiest question I've ever had to answer. It was so easy to answer it almost made me laugh.

The Eels aren't going to make the 8 and then Mr Hayne, who's not been on planet earth since late September 2009, will return to being criticised by many. Just where has he been for nearly 10 months again?

And if you want to judge Slater's form do it on the 3 games plus the 7 (including the Warriors hammering) NRL games that actually mattered.

I also know that as mad as Craig Bellamy might have been as NSW coach he WOULD NEVER have picked Kurt Gidley ahead of Slater in any team at fullback.

A big well done to the Sydney media and Channel Hayne on hyping up the only half-decent player from NSW currently.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Hayne has been playing great all season,just geniused phucktard fans think he hasn't because he wasn't scoring 8 tries a game earlier on in the season,more to rugby league then just scoring tries phucktards.

Hayne has been playing great all season,just geniused phucktard fans think he hasn't because he wasn't scoring 8 tries a game earlier on in the season,more to rugby league then just scoring tries phucktards.

Leave Jarryd alone
crying-baby-party-56800676.jpg

Bayside Bronco

Juniors
Both equal talents but would take Slater every day of the week. Slater turns up week in week out and puts it in. Hayne, like most of his team mates at the Eels, only puts it in when he chooses to - completely unprofessional.

Eels Dude

Coach
I'd like to see how Slater would go in a side with an average hooker and average halves. Until that happens their respective performances shouldn't even be compared. If Slater was playing fullback in the current Eels side he'd struggle massively IMO because his main strength, his support play, would be wasted because there'd be no-one giving him quality ball or setting him up for attacking oppurtunities. As great a player as he is, he doesn't have the skillset to carry an entire side on his own, something Hayne has proven to do.

The question is, if they swapped sides, who'd perform better and fit in easier? Hayne at fullback for the Storm around quality all over, or Slater in the Eels who have strong backs, forwards, but lack direction at half and hooker? That's the question that should be asked to determine who is the better player. Obviously Slater has been more consistent over the past few years, but so have Melbourne (illegally) and QLD which makes it a lot easier for him to be consistent. Put him in an overall weak side, would he be as consistent? I highly doubt it. Players rarely stand out in poor performing sides. It's a 'what if' but it's important to keep that in mind.

Last edited:

Loudstrat

Coach
Innit funny how the Slater supporters feel the need to belittle Hayne's performances to get their boy up.

Slaters tackle in Origin - good as it was - could have been done by anyone willing to be roadkill if it trips someone up - like Mortimer on Cindy on Friday night.

Say what you like, but I have NEVER seen a defender come at full speed and make contact with a player and roll him as he is bouncing the ball over the line. Stagg dived, the ball hits the ground short, he bounces, and in that time he's on his back and into touch.

Normal people would admit that was brilliant.

We won't mention Slater's defence in the 08 gf, will we?

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
It amazes me that there are still so many league "fans" out there who still do nothing but sh*t on Slater. The guy is a brilliant athlete who also goes hard every week. He is a consummate rugby league player.

RHCP

Bench
Innit funny how the Slater supporters feel the need to belittle Hayne's performances to get their boy up.

Slaters tackle in Origin - good as it was - could have been done by anyone willing to be roadkill if it trips someone up - like Mortimer on Cindy on Friday night.

Say what you like, but I have NEVER seen a defender come at full speed and make contact with a player and roll him as he is bouncing the ball over the line. Stagg dived, the ball hits the ground short, he bounces, and in that time he's on his back and into touch.

We won't mention Slater's defence in the 08 gf, will we?
I love a little bit of irony.

Nathan Gardner tried to wrap him up and Watmough tossed him away like a rag doll. Hayne took Stagg side on and flipped him over, which is the exact same thing Lewis Brown did on Fetuli Talanoa in today's Rabbitohs/Warriors game without any momentum on his side.

I'm not denying it was brilliant, it was a great tackle, but Slater's effort in Origin 3 was not only more impressive but also more important in the overall scheme of the game. If he didn't make that tackle, NSW could've easily gone onto win.

No normal people say that that was a good FB covering ,try saving tackle...But nothing to beat your meat about....put the baby oil away old fella ...you'll have a heart attack.
PS..Matty Sing done tackles like that regularly...ball & all try savers....,or is it only eels players who can do it?

BDH

Juniors
I love a little bit of irony.

Nathan Gardner tried to wrap him up and Watmough tossed him away like a rag doll. Hayne took Stagg side on and flipped him over, which is the exact same thing Lewis Brown did on Fetuli Talanoa in today's Rabbitohs/Warriors game without any momentum on his side.

I'm not denying it was brilliant, it was a great tackle, but Slater's effort in Origin 3 was not only more impressive but also more important in the overall scheme of the game. If he didn't make that tackle, NSW could've easily gone onto win.

Don't try and talk sense to her, she doesn't listen to anyone who shares an opinion different to hers.

Latest posts