What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith 'damaging the code' & Worst in 60 years: Kenny

Kornstar

Coach
I don't think that he will be sacked, that is a bit too drastic, they should give him some serious counselling, i don't believe he has a drinking problem cause he is 21 and what 21 year doesn't drink alot, however he may have a social problem and that is being too social considering the clubs and his own performance this year.

As someone said in another thread, if we win there is cause for celebration, however, our wins are few and far between and this makes us question his committment to the club if he can't stay away from the papers.

Yes the media may be focusing on us BUT if we aren't doing anything (even minor things) for them to focus on, then they will not write stories about us!!

I would be shattered if they sacked him though, he is one of my favourite players and i think it is way too much talent to let go!!

eel4life

Juniors
Strider not taking a cheep shot at you or anything but these thoughts I have are just opinions nothing more or less but players these days have to be smarter than they had to back then, in today’s climate they are looked at as people who get paid a whole heap of money, that’s why they are judged so harshly and that’s why any little mistake that they make will get so much press coverage.

I totally agree that all these stories in the papers about him and so forth are over emphasised issues that have nothing to do with anyone except for the club to sort out.

BUT where I draw the line is where over a period of 6 months he has had 3 issues with alcohol and has acted like a horses ass. His fault not his fault, its irrelevant due to the fact that little kids look at these players and want to be like them.

This is the climate we live in, so all players not only Parra players are looked at as role models ( even though they shouldn’t ) but kids want to be like them.

Remember the “ I wanna be like Mike “ how many kids do you think wanted to be like Jordan, and he was most probably the clean skin of NBA and the biggest superstar I can remember, but he still had personal issues that he had to deal with, everyone does but he didn’t act like a horses ass in public

Any half back over the past 10 years has been compared to Sterling, and because he has some talent then he is looked as the Next Sterling.

Right or wrong players in today’s climate have to be smarter on and off the field. If they want to muck up get sloshed to the point of no return I have no problem with that, they can do as they like they are old enough to do so, they have every right to do so, BUT THERE IS A TIME AND PLACE TO DO IT.

When you get paid to be a professional sportsperson and have so many other responsibilities that come with it due to Sponsors, the club and so forth, you become public property.

Everyone has an opinion on this, like this is how I see it, now if I am wrong then ok but it doesn’t change my opinion on it, wont change me from going to watch and hope the team win, its just how it is, you just feel disappointed that its happening to a club that you LOVE AND FOLLOW SO PASSIONATLEY.

strider

Post Whore
no worries - u didn't take any shots at me at all :D .... we are all just posting our opinions, no one's is necessarily better than anyone else's

but MJ - I don't think he was clean - I've followed bball for quite a while, MJ has had plenty of skeletons in his closet ... but I think big name USA sportsstars get alot more leniency than those here (well they do and they don't - big fines, but relatively speaking they are small compared to their salaries) .... alot of these guys are real bad boys - we're talking real criminal offences .... MJ wasn't in that category tho - but I think his gambling and alcohol issues were well publicised later in his career - I just don't think the media went to town on him at the time they occured.

anyway - blah blah - i'm rambling

barney gumble

Juniors
Burt can always be relied upon to provide a sensationalised comment when it comes to his (and our) beloved Eels.
This time it's hard to disagree with the comments. Tim Smith is heading down the same path as Brett Finch.
Overrated, over paid spoilt brat.

parralight

Juniors
I would rather follow through and cut Tim Smith than to turn a blind eye to this sort of behaviour.
We have no discipline and that shows on the footy field.
Have no doubt that this sort of publicity DOES hurt the club. It turns families and more importantly SPONSORS off the club.
Fitz should not tolorate one more stunt from Tim.

Hellsy

Immortal
There is still some conjecture over the Santa incident though.... the police could not find enough evidence to charge Tim legally so why are people charging him on a moral ground???

There is only very very few people who can tell you what happened that night and from the police interviews/reports they found no wrong doing on Tim's behalf.

I don't think we can call that much of anything really, innocent until proven guilty.... and he wasn't!

parralight

Juniors
Thats right BUT I dont think that there is any doubt now that at all times, Tim was heavily affected by liquor. Whether he likes it or not, he is a high profile sportsman and is representing our club.
This may be an infringement on his rights but he is paid a large wage, part of that wage relates to representing the club OFF THE FIELD.
I wish him all the best and hope that he can overcome his demons.

Hellsy

Immortal
True... but it wouldn't have even been known about had it been someone else from the gen public.
If someone has sought out a person because of who they are and that person has then defended themself then it is hard to blame them in my eyes.

The other 2 incidents..... especially the drunk at training thing is cause enough to pull Tim in to talk, but the Santa issue to me is and was nothing.

I really really hope that the club are getting Tim some HELP as well as this fining business, if he truly has some problems then fining him wont do anything for his state of mind.

One thing for sure, he and Riddell need to keep apart

eel4life

Juniors
Yeah True Stider i think MJ was linked with gambling issues aswell, but at least Parra have drawn the line in the sand now, its up to tim to turn it around.

I think against the raiders his head will be clearer and hopefully he has a blinder.

GO YOU SOCCEROOOOOS

Latest posts