What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Smith v Hagan - who is Mr Popular?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Brian Smith. The man who taught rugby league to Paul Cariage.

I can't wait to see what he'll do with Thaiday!

Stranger

Coach
Hagan, the man who has kept Carmont in First grade for 2-3 years now :| The same guy who has played Lowrie at 5/8 when we have had jarrod Mullen in reserve grade (ohhh yeah, say goodbye to any good juniors)

Our last planned deacent signing was Matt Parsons or BK, both bought by the Wok... Where as Hagan buys Reyno for about 240k a year and lets go of Kennedy, Tahu and O'Davis... BK was asking for about 30k more than Reyno... yeah say goodbye to you're good players.

Although hagan might have another game plan that doesnt involve 'give the ball to joey' and a psyche up tune that goes "Quack Quack Quack...

Anyone out there who actually believes Hagan really 'coached' us to the 2001 GF, is delerious...
Knight well prepared for big games?
Why do the knights fall apart without joey?
CAUSE WE AINT FARKIN PREPARED TO PLAY WITHOUT HIM, shouldn't that show clearly enough that hagan doesnt prepare the team?

Angry_eel

First Grade
look, mate as i said. I don't care how he does it, as long he gets us a premiership i'll be happy. also, brian smith will do wonders with your juniors because u have a large junior area. it will take ages though and he won't get yous a premiership.

Parki

Bench
Although hagan might have another game plan that doesnt involve 'give the ball to joey' and a psyche up tune that goes "Quack Quack Quack...

hey, you know i hear that "quack" chant might take off... dont knock it

jamesgould

Juniors
Harold Bishop said:
I rate Todd Lowrie, watching him against Manly he ran hard and made a few line breaks.

Would have been cheap as well. Eels should go after Brad Tighe and Steve Simpson since they have so much money freed up.

There is no way in a million years Tighe would follow Hagan to Parra ... has only played 2 games coz of injury to other players this year, has looked a million dollars, and has been dropped straight back to reserve grade when the injured player returns.

As for Newcastle always being prepared for big games under Hagan - our finals record with him as coach is won 2 lost 3 ... would no doubt be worse if we had managed to limp into the finals in the last few years ... and haven't won a finals game since 2001.

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Parki said:
*edit* and no, before you fire up, hagan wont take us there....it will be off the back of that one beautiful player, which im totally fine with. Like you, i want another premiership. I dont care how i get it. Hagan is the 1 thing that stands between the knights and glory this year, and i cant wait to see him go TBH

This is what pisses me off about Knights fans, when they win a game, all you get is "Oh what a great display by Joey he's such a brilliant man make him Prime Minister" etc. But when they lose, it's "That f**kin' Hagan, can't trust the rat he's done it again, it's all his fault!!".

You credit everything good about the Knights to Johns, and everything bad to Hagan when really none of you have any idea who is responsible for what. Maybe if Johns wasn't on so much money and didn't squeeze every last dollar he could out of you, you wouldn't have lost Tahu and Kennedy. But no, that's Hagan's fault too. If Hagan had decent management, room under the cap to re-sign/sign players and some good facilities to work with then maybe he'd have a better chance.

By the way, I notice Super Smithy hasn't signed anyone yet, seems he can't do anything more than Hagan could. Be sure to bump this post up when you lot are calling for Smithy's head next year.

macavity

Referee
If Hagan had decent management, room under the cap to re-sign/sign players and some good facilities to work with then maybe he'd have a better chance.

true, our management are worse than our coach.

but is Fitzy a genius administrator......?

Signings aside, I think the Knights marginally win here - simply because Smithy has a track record developing juniors, and we have one of the best bunches ever atm in our all-conquering JF side. We have signed a coach that can set us up for life after Joey - something looming large for us, we only have him for probably one more year. We may not sign anyone of note but if we keep and develop our good juniors rather than lose them constantly or under-develop them as we did under hages, we win.

Hages, meanwhile, will get the best out of your stars in a motivational sense, dont rely on him for any in-depth game plans though. That may be a plus though - RL is an emotional, primal game, and sometimes over complicating things can hinder rather than help (case in point - Parra '01). I would expect the Parra players to love Hages (besides Tahu, he will likely leave at the end of his contract, trust me...) but you can kiss goodbye to the depth you have enjoyed for so long, and you better hope you have a good recruitment team to help hages, he has never done it well. So barring injury you will likely return to some decent form (it is all psychological with you guys) but its going to take a special half to get you over the line. Is Tim Smith that guy? Blake Green? Time will tell, but I wouldnt swap either of them for Mullen, Walsh or Dureau, the guys we have coming up.

Good luck Eels, but I think its too early to declare an absolute winner in the coach swap.

My feeling is short term Hages will be good for you, but long term, Smithy will be good for us. Look for the Knights to challenge in 09/10 with a complete team of juniors - the core of our flegg team.

macavity said:
true, our management are worse than our coach.

but is Fitzy a genius administrator......?

Signings aside, I think the Knights marginally win here - simply because Smithy has a track record developing juniors, and we have one of the best bunches ever atm in our all-conquering JF side. We have signed a coach that can set us up for life after Joey - something looming large for us, we only have him for probably one more year. We may not sign anyone of note but if we keep and develop our good juniors rather than lose them constantly or under-develop them as we did under hages, we win.

Hages, meanwhile, will get the best out of your stars in a motivational sense, dont rely on him for any in-depth game plans though. That may be a plus though - RL is an emotional, primal game, and sometimes over complicating things can hinder rather than help (case in point - Parra '01). I would expect the Parra players to love Hages (besides Tahu, he will likely leave at the end of his contract, trust me...) but you can kiss goodbye to the depth you have enjoyed for so long, and you better hope you have a good recruitment team to help hages, he has never done it well. So barring injury you will likely return to some decent form (it is all psychological with you guys) but its going to take a special half to get you over the line. Is Tim Smith that guy? Blake Green? Time will tell, but I wouldnt swap either of them for Mullen, Walsh or Dureau, the guys we have coming up.

Good luck Eels, but I think its too early to declare an absolute winner in the coach swap.

My feeling is short term Hages will be good for you, but long term, Smithy will be good for us. Look for the Knights to challenge in 09/10 with a complete team of juniors - the core of our flegg team.

Your pretty much spot on with that analysis. Brian Smith is excellent with Building a Strong Junior base and the positive for Newcastle is that you already have strong Junior base. It's just that brian always over complicates things. League is a simple game ........ no need for the scientific crap and over coaching.

Angry_eel

First Grade
macavity said:
eels have learnt their lesson about long term coaching contracts. Hagan will be looked at only by win/loss record at parra.

aqua_duck

Coach
michael hagan the man who had Julian Bailey and John Morris as starting wingers in an elimination final

Misty Bee

First Grade
Bailey and Morris did worse than Paul Cariage?????

Can't wait to see Craig Smith at halfback for the Knights, with Joey at PL hooker.

You lot reckon Hagan can't coach without Joey? Smith is f**ked without Hindmarsh.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Frankly, I wouldn't want either of them at my team. I don't know why these 2 have jobs for next season, and a bloke like John Lang doesn't. I think if John Lang had the calibre of players these 2 fools have had for the last stack of seasons he would have managed to win a swag full of premierships.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Hagen seems to be struggling to attrack new players to Parra, although he seems to be pretty good at letting players go

Hags is always going to be more popular with players cause if they are nice
to him he puts extra fabric softener in when he washes their jerseys and
takes everyone to Pizza-Hut when they win (Just look a Mark Riddell's guts).

Ron Jeremy

Coach
hahahaha at this thread and Newcastle fans

4th last year

71 point defeats this year bahahaaha

Smith was the 4th or 5th choice coach, and from the countless thrashings it is easy to see why lol

Hagan was chosen to coach SOO from people who have more RL knowledge then any Newcastle supporter on this board.

And as fro Todd Lowrie? he has been one of Parra's best in First Division and close to call in firsts, and whilst on the subject Hagan has hardly shown any favourtism towards him, only 2 games he's played in firsts.

voltron

Juniors
but last year we were a 'one man' team.
and this year? we lost that 'one man'

so to have been in run for a finals berth for long into the season was quite an accomplishment....

and Hagan is running well atm.
but we'll have to see in the coming years, in 08 and 09 to see a better indication of how things are looking

Latest posts