What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So Its Round 5. Does Ivan Stay Or Go

ozbash

Referee
When talking of the Locke dropping he kept going on about the 'publicity' the young guys had,

TV1 news last night had a bit on the 'publicity' thing for young Kev.
Showed him on the catwalk, modelling the flash gruds..

what they (and the coach when he mentioned the 'publicity') was that the fashion show was organised with the Warriors by Bendon (a sponsor). Kevin got no payment for it, I think any money raised went to charity.

But, it was a club gig !!

easy to kick a young guy when he's down. Thats 2 in 2 weeks now.
Whats going on ?

BTW, what position is Kev playing for the Vulcans ??

give you 1 guess and its not wing

Last edited:

Meth

Staff member
Ozbash- supposing you get your wish and Kevin Locke did become our starting fullback this year, what would you do with Lance?

Rich102

Staff member
Listening to Cleary on a Radio Sport interview has me scratching my head. I'm thinking how the hell does this guy, so deadpan and conservative motivate any of our players? When talking of the Locke dropping he kept going on about the 'publicity' the young guys had, almost like Lockes believing his own press. Weird.
All I could think back to was 'Sharky' Browns handsmack for try celebrations!

He's an enigma, that Cleary.

I think that is part of the problem right there. There is no motivation before the game, they go onto the field flat.
Cleary may be a coach on paper but, in my opinion, he is neither a motivator nor a man-manager.
His faults from previously years, sticking with players who don't add value to the team, are still there. (Henderson, Ropati).
The review was a waste of time. It was a non-event.
Still only six rounds gone, but things are not looking good.

Meth

Staff member
bench - super sub.

You don't think we are far better with him on for the full 80?

I don't necessarily disagree with you here. But I am torn between the idea that Locke is probably our future at fullback and the understanding that Lance is our best option at fullback (a vital position) currently

auckwarriors

Juniors
Arguably the best coach of the modern era is a hell of a lot more deadpan than Ivan. Motivation isn't just about yelling and screaming at players -- some of the most animated and 'passionate' coaches have been the biggest flops. Paul Langmack, Tony Kemp, even Ricky Stuart in recent years.

The biggest weapon experience gives you is the ability to find consistency. With such a young team, what we're seeing is unavoidable and will continue until Steve Price and Mannering return. Good performances don't come from nowhere, and this year we've played some superb football at times. When it comes together, what Cleary's coaching is really good stuff and it works. It's a matter of doing that every week, which won't come until experienced heads are out there across the field for extended periods of time. No coach in the NRL could change that.

Whether or not to hook players in bad form is a judgment call that every coach has to make given the context, effect on the team and the player's personality. A hard and fast rule will always fail, even though it polarises people. Cleary knew that he'd destroy Manu if he hooked him from Parramatta Stadium in 2007, and I'd dare say he thought the same thing of Jerome last year. Ropati's form this year has been really good, improving game to game -- to come back from a hamstring and perform as he did against Penrith is no mean feat.

Meth

Staff member
Whether or not to hook players in bad form is a judgment call that every coach has to make given the context, effect on the team and the player's personality. A hard and fast rule will always fail, even though it polarises people. Cleary knew that he'd destroy Manu if he hooked him from Parramatta Stadium in 2007, and I'd dare say he thought the same thing of Jerome last year. Ropati's form this year has been really good, improving game to game -- to come back from a hamstring and perform as he did against Penrith is no mean feat.

Difference being that Manu v Parramatta and Locke v Penrith were isolated shockers. Ropati was terrible for quite some time

Rich102

Staff member
OK. Back to the original topic.
I am not convinced Cleary is the best coach for the Warriors.
But I am prepared to give him a chance.
How long?
For me if we don't make the top 8 then it's time for someone else.

Meth

Staff member
I have always said that he needs to prove himself this season after last season. If it becomes apparent that we are going to miss the finals, then we look around. Until then, stick with him

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
let's focus on the aberrations rather than the long term trend.

yeah, that'll get us somewhere.

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
Not really sure what you are saying
i'm mainly referring the the sky is falling attitude taken that the performance on the weekend, and the 2009 season are what clearys coaching has always brought to the team when it's blatantly inaccurate. not directed at you, at all - i just think the bigger picture needs to be looked at a little more often than never.

just as it's too soon to say everything's turned around on last year, it's way too soon to say after one heavy loss (and even in the good cleary years, we've had plenty) that we're f**ked.

ozbash

Referee
neither is the Doc..

how long do you give the coach ?

as long as the young winger or the young prop ??

ozbash

Referee
i'm mainly referring the the sky is falling attitude taken that the performance on the weekend, and the 2009 season are what clearys coaching has always brought to the team when it's blatantly inaccurate. not directed at you, at all - i just think the bigger picture needs to be looked at a little more often than never.

QUOTE]

I think the sky has definitely got a lot lower, and fairly quickly.

It doesnt take much intelligence to realise we are being dished up a main course from last years menu.

Even I can see that ! :cool:

Dr Crane

Live Update Team
neither is the Doc..

how long do you give the coach ?

as long as the young winger or the young prop ??
you'd give him at least a year to see if he can learn from his mistakes. six weeks is a pretty small sample size, especially when most of the results have been overwhelmingly positive based on what we saw last year, no?

as for the prop and winger, i guess it depends on if they're australian or not?

Skinner

Coach

just as it's too soon to say everything's turned around on last year, it's way too soon to say after one heavy loss (and even in the good cleary years, we've had plenty) that we're f**ked.

I actually think it's more about the mental toughness that is required to get over the bad losses, and come out the following week and cream the opposition.

They seem to drop their heads real quick, while other teams, St George and the Broncos, for example, use a bad loss as supreme motivation. That, really, is a coaching / training aspect. This is where blokes like Campion etc would really come into their own.

For people like him, losing is not an option. Winning is almost mandatory, and so it should be.

That is where I think that Cleary is a cream puff and the team would benefit by having a hard nosed coach.

Latest posts