What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spagnolo embroiled in ASIC investigation

Eels Dude

Coach
Very good post bartman. On top of that too, this thread is about an article reporting on a negative event. So it's understandable that people are going to be alarmed and respond negatively. So what do you, ban people from posting articles that paint the club in a bad light and only allow people to post positive articles. I think all news regarding our club is important, the good and the bad. The club is only going to sweetalk anything that goes wrong, common sense really, so we have to rely on other sources for more accurate information (not saying this article is 100% accurate by any means).

Suitman

Post Whore
Fair points Suity, and that's kind of why above I wrote....

In the posts you've quoted, the first is imo an extreme view (or even a sarcastic joke?). If no-one bites, then the post will simply fade away and be ignored, and the thread can continue about it's original topic.

But as you've pointed out, because of an outdated "us against them" mentality, people bite. Mickdo's post that you've quoted is an example - and imo starts off the negativity (for which he's actually been called on by others a few times this year). Similarly Dellboy's post in this thread today imo is of the type that starts the negativity and personal references rolling. It actually ends up achieving the opposite of what those two people presumably want the forums to be....

But it seems some people can't help themselves, and get personal when they can't agree to disagree... Would be much simpler here if people just post their own (differing) opinion in response to something they don't agree with, rather than getting personal with others. That's if they can be bothered posting, and if they can't be bothered then it doesn't really become a problem! Because if no-one bites at posts they've read and disagree with, then those posts will just go on to be forgotten and the forum moves along in a more positive manner...

Mate, notice you only commented on (besides the extreme post :roll:) the two opinions that contradict yours at the moment.
I could, (and I'm sure you could have) quoted many others from the opposite side of the negative polarisation.
The whole place IS really negative atm, and it's f**king boring.
Look at regular informants like MITS and Stagger? Used to be great sources of information. newmanj ring a bell?
You can't tell me this place hasn't changed for the worse over the past 12-18 months?
Remember when it used to be fun? And informative?

Suity

bartman

Immortal
I don't think I've made one post in this thread about the article/topic, mainly because imo it's a nothing issue and all Parra fans would hope that there is nothing to worry about, or if there is that it gets sorted. I haven't read anything here to suggest otherwise.

But I pick up on the negativity that people have gone on to speak about in this thread, and if each of us tries harder not to bite of get personal at those we disagree with (me included!), think about whether it's worth responding or adding to the negativity or not, then all of us might just get this place the way we all seem to want it?

Anyway, that's enough from me on that note for today! :)

Suitman

Post Whore
Very good post bartman.

Really?

On top of that too, this thread is about an article reporting on a negative event. So it's understandable that people are going to be alarmed and respond negatively.

Really? Any concrete evidence in the article provided against Spagnolo? Why then, are people primarily looking for the worst? Some have questioned the validity of the article, while the majority have resorted to sliming Spagnolo and the (supposedly) unpaid contractors who we don't even know actually exist. I wouldn't know one way or the other going by the evidence provided by Kate, but some seem to know more then even her, by casting aspertions upon the charachter of Spagnolo. For the record, I've met him a couple of times, and my feelings are rather mixed.

So what do you, ban people from posting articles that paint the club in a bad light and only allow people to post positive articles.

You know very well that very few people who post here expect that.

I think all news regarding our club is important, the good and the bad. The club is only going to sweetalk anything that goes wrong, common sense really, so we have to rely on other sources for more accurate information (not saying this article is 100% accurate by any means).

Then why comment on anything that you don't know all the facts about, and that the said article doesn't provide said facts?

I'm with Tony Bongo on this. Until ALL the facts are presented, I will only make judgement.

Suity

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I'm sure we will see a retraction and apology in the smh any day now. Spags wouldn't let them write such untruths I'm sure.

bartman

Immortal
Sorry Suity, didn't see you post before my last reply.

Mate, notice you only commented on (besides the extreme post :roll:) the two opinions that contradict yours at the moment.
I could, (and I'm sure you could have) quoted many others from the opposite side of the negative polarisation.
I don't know on what basis you know what my opinion is at the moment - as I said, I haven't made a post on this topic in this thread until just then. Two of the posts I'd commented on were ones you'd quoted, the one that I left out was one suggesting that certain people move on (a suggestion I happen to agree with). Instead I referenced another post that seemed to drive most of today's discussion and was therefore topical - it's very little to do with choosing posts from what "side" you think I'm on. :?

Maybe you and I differ in that when I look for where the current/recent negativity in each thread starts, without fail I reckon the negativity (the getting personal, dragging it down etc) comes from a few people who seem to have a problem with other people's differing opinions? People that regularly bring the past into other threads, people that can't simply post their own view (if they feel the urge) and then let other people's posts/opinions slide.

You can't tell me this place hasn't changed for the worse over the past 12-18 months?
Remember when it used to be fun? And informative?

Suity
I'm not trying to say it hasn't changed for the worse Suity. Just making some suggestions that all of us here - me, you, and certain other long term posters - could try to make it less negative, and more fun and informative? It requires people to play the ball and not the man, not to make every thread "us and them" to suit their own particular agenda...

Last edited:
Maybe we can create bitch thread for Gronk and Maroubra & co. Who can't let go. That way they can whinge in there and normal footy talk can resume in the main area of the forum.

eels81236

Bench
I reckon that if everyone gathered for a beer we would all get on like a house on fire. It's tough to gauge intent/emotion via text.

Eels Dude

Coach
Maybe Jake could do what bartman suggested instead of adding more fuel to the fire. Here we go all over again just like Suity suggested in his cycle.

parra pete

Referee
You should know, you support a few other teams don't ya.

Wouldn't say I actually support a few, but certainly follow them, that's for sure. Believe it or not, it removes the rose coloured glasses, and adds a touch of reality to being a Rugby League fan, and believe it or not, removes stress from being a 'one Club follower'. You want to try it. Might just turn you into being a more tolerant supporter, instead of a cranky 'pissant'. :lol:

SDM

First Grade
I reckon that if everyone gathered for a beer we would all get on like a house on fire. It's tough to gauge intent/emotion via text.

I woud glass any prick who disagreed with me and leave just before my round.

SDM

First Grade
I think Batman is attending a parade in his honour and waving to his fans