What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Price

TheRev

Coach
I totally agree with the notion that simplicity is killing us.
Hmmmm why is it that our attacking structure fails.. is it simplicity? I mean Price has probably simplified things over the past 2 seasons, but then obviously he works with them each week on a gameplan, yet not much seems to transpire on the field.. id be interested in someone more astutes view, but here is mine:

1) Wrong bloke in the wrong jersey: This to me is the source of the issue, he gets it wrong too often, he is stubborn, he wont explore and the side is forever disjointed as a results.

2) Overstructured attack: This seems a contradiction, but the few games the Dragons looked good (and this is rare) is when the guys seemed to get a licence to go out and play whats in front of them, every now and then Sowie would do it and it was fantastic, exciting.. it was high-risk but we looked a million dollars..

stgill2001

Juniors
When will Steve Price come out and just tell us fans that he has made wrong decisions and he will be accountable for that instead of excuse after excuse?

David007

Juniors
I've sat back and watched this unfold and it's ashamedly getting from bad to worse and is now at a point of NO return! Surely it is impossible to continue with Price. This is a results driven game and he just can't get the results! I've never written on here before but wanted to voice my opinion.

What's needed is to replace him with quality and to do it now! The only problem is that there are not many coaches not contracted somewhere else that could be available say next week. Some of the names tossed up are just as bad as Price! I follow both the NRL and UK SL and take an interest in the Aussies over there. When talking to some UK friends about the plight of the Dragons a name was tossed up and I did some more research after remembering watching a few games of his. I remember this person as a player in the NRL before he moved away to cut his teeth in the coaching ranks. And cut his teeth he did.

The person I refer to is Justin Morgan. Some of you might recall him being a Parramatta junior and playing several seasons under Brian Smith. He spent a year in Canberra before playing for the NZ Warriors under Daniel Anderson for a few years. And then he retired. Not a super star player but one that put the hard yards in and got the job done.

He then moved to Toulouse France to start his coaching career. Had had an amateur team and got them up to the Grand Final after a couple of years there after a dominant season. But more noteworthy were his achievements in the Challenge Cup. His part time team defeated a full time SL team and went all the way to the semi finals where he faced Tony Smith's team. A close game by all accounts but they lost to the stronger team of the SL. It was the first time a French amateur team ever played in the Challenge Cup Semi Final.

After this winning streak, he was head hunted by Hull Kingston Rovers who were in the National League then. Again he had a basic team and the goal of securing them a place into the SL. It took him one full season to achieve that and that year his team won nearly all their games over the entire season. Not only did his team make and win the grand final to secure their first year in SL, but back then there was a relegation system in place so they had to stay up in the SL by not getting the wooden spoon - something that happened to nearly all the teams that were promoted.

Morgan's team did more than that. They surprised many and were competitive in the competition and made the play offs every year Morgan was there. He built a formidable team and blooded many UK youngsters and lured many an Aussie player, to name a few, Clint Newton, Mick Vella, Ben Galea, Willie Mason, Blake Green and Michael Dobson. Some of those players have left KR better players. Clint Newton returning to the NRL and Dobson following next season to Newcastle. Morgan's players are loyal with nearly a dozen leaving the year he did and with Dobson leaving this season that's the majority of his players gone.

Morgan stepped into the NRL as assistant coach to Furner at Canberra last year and they made a late surge for the play offs. He was up there in the final three for the NZ Warriors job last year according to the NZ press. Morgan is currently working under Daniel Anderson again as a Video Referee, Mentor and Match Reviewer. He is free from a contract at any club. At the moment his Linked In profile (his CV is quite impressive) says he is waiting for his next NRL Club. Well here is one he can take!

Morgan could be just what is needed here! He has served as a Head Coach for nearly 10 years and had a great deal of success in turning down and out clubs and players into regular play off teams and according to all reports in the UK he did it with Hull KR on limited funds. We've seen some great things this season in other coaches that have some from the SL; Maguire, Potter and Robinson. It was Morgan who gave Trent Robinson his coaching break when he played in his French team. He became Morgan's assistant.

Price has got to go and we need a replacement immediately, it can't wait till the end of the season. What have we got to lose? I think Morgan would do a better job than Price. And if the board are weary of a non-big name coach then at least offer it to him till the end of the season to see what he can do. The Tigers have taken a punt with Potter. I'd definitely back Morgan. Who else is there for right now?

The other thing to keep in mind is that with three clubs in the hunt for new head coaches we need to be the first off the blocks. When you look at who's out there and available surely Morgan has to be near the top of that list. We can not go on with Price as it's becoming embarrassing and the fans are growing more and more unsettled. I really hope the board ring in the changes this week. And if they read the voice of the fans I hope they talk to Morgan as he is available to coach now and he's got a good track record in the SL.

SOMETHING HAS TO HAPPEN NOW!

Dudes, be careful what you wish for. The alternative is not Tony Smith or Tim Sheens or WhoeverTF. The alternative currently coaches a shit NSW Cup team.

Fits the key hiring criteria: In the building, cheap.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
I've sat back and watched this unfold and it's ashamedly getting from bad to worse and is now at a point of NO return! Surely it is impossible to continue with Price. This is a results driven game and he just can't get the results! I've never written on here before but wanted to voice my opinion.

What's needed is to replace him with quality and to do it now! The only problem is that there are not many coaches not contracted somewhere else that could be available say next week. Some of the names tossed up are just as bad as Price! I follow both the NRL and UK SL and take an interest in the Aussies over there. When talking to some UK friends about the plight of the Dragons a name was tossed up and I did some more research after remembering watching a few games of his. I remember this person as a player in the NRL before he moved away to cut his teeth in the coaching ranks. And cut his teeth he did.

The person I refer to is Justin Morgan. Some of you might recall him being a Parramatta junior and playing several seasons under Brian Smith. He spent a year in Canberra before playing for the NZ Warriors under Daniel Anderson for a few years. And then he retired. Not a super star player but one that put the hard yards in and got the job done.

He then moved to Toulouse France to start his coaching career. Had had an amateur team and got them up to the Grand Final after a couple of years there after a dominant season. But more noteworthy were his achievements in the Challenge Cup. His part time team defeated a full time SL team and went all the way to the semi finals where he faced Tony Smith's team. A close game by all accounts but they lost to the stronger team of the SL. It was the first time a French amateur team ever played in the Challenge Cup Semi Final.

After this winning streak, he was head hunted by Hull Kingston Rovers who were in the National League then. Again he had a basic team and the goal of securing them a place into the SL. It took him one full season to achieve that and that year his team won nearly all their games over the entire season. Not only did his team make and win the grand final to secure their first year in SL, but back then there was a relegation system in place so they had to stay up in the SL by not getting the wooden spoon - something that happened to nearly all the teams that were promoted.

Morgan's team did more than that. They surprised many and were competitive in the competition and made the play offs every year Morgan was there. He built a formidable team and blooded many UK youngsters and lured many an Aussie player, to name a few, Clint Newton, Mick Vella, Ben Galea, Willie Mason, Blake Green and Michael Dobson. Some of those players have left KR better players. Clint Newton returning to the NRL and Dobson following next season to Newcastle. Morgan's players are loyal with nearly a dozen leaving the year he did and with Dobson leaving this season that's the majority of his players gone.

Morgan stepped into the NRL as assistant coach to Furner at Canberra last year and they made a late surge for the play offs. He was up there in the final three for the NZ Warriors job last year according to the NZ press. Morgan is currently working under Daniel Anderson again as a Video Referee, Mentor and Match Reviewer. He is free from a contract at any club. At the moment his Linked In profile (his CV is quite impressive) says he is waiting for his next NRL Club. Well here is one he can take!

Morgan could be just what is needed here! He has served as a Head Coach for nearly 10 years and had a great deal of success in turning down and out clubs and players into regular play off teams and according to all reports in the UK he did it with Hull KR on limited funds. We've seen some great things this season in other coaches that have some from the SL; Maguire, Potter and Robinson. It was Morgan who gave Trent Robinson his coaching break when he played in his French team. He became Morgan's assistant.

Price has got to go and we need a replacement immediately, it can't wait till the end of the season. What have we got to lose? I think Morgan would do a better job than Price. And if the board are weary of a non-big name coach then at least offer it to him till the end of the season to see what he can do. The Tigers have taken a punt with Potter. I'd definitely back Morgan. Who else is there for right now?

The other thing to keep in mind is that with three clubs in the hunt for new head coaches we need to be the first off the blocks. When you look at who's out there and available surely Morgan has to be near the top of that list. We can not go on with Price as it's becoming embarrassing and the fans are growing more and more unsettled. I really hope the board ring in the changes this week. And if they read the voice of the fans I hope they talk to Morgan as he is available to coach now and he's got a good track record in the SL.

SOMETHING HAS TO HAPPEN NOW!

Best first post I've read on here in years. Well reasoned, backed up with some evidence and not a complete shambles of an option.

Well done, and I hope Doust considers Morgan an option.

Elias1983

Coach
COMMENT
Sometimes in sport, results are unacceptable and lead to change.

Now I'm fully aware in this space earlier in the season, there was support for Dragons coach Steve Price.

But Saturday's graveyard performance at WIN Jubilee Oval was an unacceptable low in the team's proud history, dating back well before the union, under the red and white banner.

Admittedly, troops are absent and the Jamie Soward debacle has left a gulf in the ranks.

And the Roosters could well go on and win the title this year, such is their ongoing standard.
However, to be kept scoreless on hallowed home turf for the second time in the same sesason and to suffer the worst defeat at one's home ground is plainly a result to force some deep introspection within the Dragons ranks.

To be graced by a 'bye' is hardly deserving and doesn't breed any confidence about a revival.
Thirty-six to nil.

To every diehard Dragons fan, that's a dagger to the heart.

Too close to the '75 grand final score for comfort.

Please can that room of mirrors in Dragon country come up with some answers in the next two weeks, otherwise there'll be a mutiny.

The earth feels like it's moving at this very point.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/s...-loss/?cs=2382

Even this journo has had enough...

BennyV

Referee
Good to see a bit of pressure being applied in the media...although TBH, I though the flood gates would open after the weekend and every paper would be asking the question of why Price is still around...

I keep having this dream of Mal Meninga's press conference when he made a foray into politics. Instead of Mal Meninga it is Steve Price reciting the same garbage we are so used to at his pressers. At the end, much like Mal did he says, "Ive got nothing, I cant do this."
Then I wake up....
Is the Red V forum tonight?
I can only hope this is a premonition!

redbreed

Juniors
that is the issue, hopefully there is a plan B to fast track a replacement this season - even a caretaker coach just to stop the current slide & lack of confidence throughout the club.

Even though I don't want him as head coach but put Mary in for the remainder of the year. Price has to go today!!! He should be banned for life and even arrested and charged if he is seen wearing red and white clothing.

BennyV

Referee
Dudes, be careful what you wish for. The alternative is not Tony Smith or Tim Sheens or WhoeverTF. The alternative currently coaches a shit NSW Cup team.

Fits the key hiring criteria: In the building, cheap.

Ok, I know Mary is despised by most Dragons fans, but so is Pricey. In terms of finishing off this season, which is the lesser of two evils - Price or McGregor?

TruSaint

Referee
Ok, I know Mary is despised by most Dragons fans, but so is Pricey. In terms of finishing off this season, which is the lesser of two evils - Price or McGregor?

Can i call a friend?
Thats a hard question Benny

Cagey Mac

Bench

images

Benny, it's not an unreasonable question. Looking down the barrel of the spoon I think I'd rather have a shit first grade coach than a shit reserve grade coach. Not much of a choice I grant you.

Latest posts