What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart & Australian players claim conspiracy & stitch-up

Godz Illa

Coach
Not sure if this needs a new thread, but there has been more added to this story it turns out. More class from our national coach...

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/new...onspiracy-claim/2008/11/24/1227491431570.html

Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart faces investigation following allegations he abused referee Ashley Klein and England World Cup official Stuart Cummings after Saturday night's loss to New Zealand in the tournament final.

The allegations follow reports in today's Herald that Stuart was so incensed by the shock loss of his team that he verbally attacked ARL chief executive and close friend Geoff Carr on the field at fulltime, alleging a conspiracy by tournament organisers.

He is later reported to have harangued Klein and Cummings following a chance meeting in the foyer of their Brisbane hotel.

An RFL spokesman refused to provide any details of the clash but confirmed to The Guardian that it had occurred in front of dozens of witnesses.

The RFL is preparing an official complaint to the Rugby League International Federation and the Herald was told that once it was received an investigation into Stuart's actions would begin.

The Australian coach refused to comment on either of the allegations or his future in the job when approached by reporters at a charity golf event in Canberra for CanTeen.

rlo

Juniors
Stuart FAIL

The chorus for his sacking in the past few days have been mainly from disgruntled Kangaroos lovers, but with this it's certainly going to gather storm within the ARL.

Question now is, who will replace him? Will the ARL come begging on Wayne's door? There really isn't a clear replacement for Stuart, I guess the assistant Cartwright would be the obvious short-term replacement, but I don't reckon he's top 5 coaches going around Australian rugby league atm (in no order: Meninga, Bellamy, Bennett, Neil Henry, Stuart)

Simo

First Grade

nah, whilst maybe a little did anyone really expect them to compete? Not on the same level as England, i thought with the bulk coming from 2 sides they would really put up a fight but it was embarrasing how they just crumbled agasint the Aussies and Kiwis, its like they decided 'oh well cant win stop playing til the hooter'.

Showed some good individual peformances (Red hed, Roby for e.g. showed they have talent) but as a team didnt seem to really play for each other or the jersey.

France came in with a coach boasting how bad his side was due to union raids......didnt really think they would do much but I guess didnt think they would come last!

Noa

First Grade
To quote Rudy from Fat Albert, Ricky Stuart "is like school during the holidays, NO CLASS"

TFS85

Juniors
Precisely why the Aussies got what was coming to them.
Arrogant so and so's.

KIWIS won :D ....Get over it.

Iafeta

Referee
Shocked Kangaroos point finger at referee

By PHIL LUTTON and GLENN JACKSON - Fairfax Media | Monday, 24 November 2008

STEVE CHRISTO/Sydney Morning Herald
CRUCIAL DECISION: New Zealand's Lance Hohaia appeals to referee Ashley Klein for a penalty try that was eventually awarded by video referee Steve Ganson in the World Cup final. Australian players are claiming they were "stitched up" and the try should never have been awarded.
Related Links
article.gif
Kiwis re-write rugby league history
article.gif
Benji's redemption helped bring down Roos
article.gif
Kangaroo's conspiracy claim rattles Aussie league boss
article.gif
Subscribe to Archivestuff
comment.gif
Comment on this story

Shock has progressed to shocker for the vanquished Australian players, who turned their guns on the World Cup officials following their defeat in Saturday night's final.
Lock Paul Gallen claimed the Australians were "stitched up", while others were highly critical of the controversial penalty try ruling by video referee Steve Ganson that took the game away from the Kangaroos.
Prop Brent Kite maintained fullback Billy Slater would have cleaned up the bouncing ball even if winger Joel Monaghan had not impeded Kiwi Lance Hohaia - although he conceded the Canberra player should have been sin-binned.
"Of course he would have," Kite said when asked if Slater would have retrieved the ball. "I think anyone could have seen that. Even if he wasn't there, there has to be no doubt that he's not going to bobble the ball. How many times do you see that? [Darren] Lockyer had one earlier in the first half.
"That was very disappointing. I thought it warranted a send-off but to say that Billy didn't have a very good chance of getting that ball was hard to swallow."
Asked about the controversial decisions throughout the game, which also included the awarding of a Jerome Ropati four-pointer after the ball had been knocked out of Benji Marshall's grasp by Kangaroo Anthony Laffranchi, Gallen told Channel Nine: "It was terrible, to be honest. We knew we were going to have to play bad to be beaten. We didn't play our best game but we weren't that bad. It was a bit of a stitch-up, I thought, in some decisions."
The reaction to the result was equally bleak.
"It's a shame we have to lose for people to be a bit interested in the result [of the tournament]. But that's the way it went," Kite said.
"I'm already trying to forget about it. Every time I think about it, it hurts. We're better than what we showed. We're not going to dwell on that. I want to put it behind us. You don't want to be making excuses. We didn't get the job done."
Back-rower Laffranchi described the loss as "heartbreaking". "We're very disappointed," he said. "There's probably no easy way to take a loss in the final. I'm lost for words at the moment."
Fellow-Kangaroos prop Petero Civoniceva, one of only a few Australian players who spoke after the game, was devastated by the result but still praised the Kiwis for their commitment.
"It's a shame because they're such a wonderful group of men and we've had a great time together and it's unfortunate when it mattered most we couldn't get it done," he said.
"We worked hard for 80 minutes but came unstuck and probably just didn't have that fluency that we'd had in previous games.
"You can't take anything away from them. They played a very tough game and they had 17 men very committed to the cause and they ended up getting it done."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4770933a1823.html

Media beat up, but Gallen is the biggest whinging cat in the game.

nqcowboy87

Bench
what i made a thread about a minute after in which i predicted a huge whine from ricky stuart and people said he wouldnt whinge cause it was a fair game and the only reason they lost was beacuse of costly errors by the aussie side, and now sticky is whinging what a surprise

bartman

Immortal
I wish our lot would just have some grace when they get beat.

Same applies to most Australian sporting teams it seems - we always whinge and carry on like ego-maniacs rather than just cop a loss sweet.

VonVolks

Juniors
I agree with Simmo earlier. The first (and possibly most important) incident in the game was Lockyer failing to ground the try that in my opinion would have been the game winner. If the Kangaroos had gone 16-0 up, then its game over I reckon.

All the conspiracy talk is crap, and Ricky "Whingeing Aussie" Stuart should be severely punished for unsportsmanlike conduct and bringing the game into disrepute, and also fired and disowned by the ARL.

Fellow-Kangaroos prop Petero Civoniceva, one of only a few Australian players who spoke after the game, was devastated by the result but still praised the Kiwis for their commitment.
"It's a shame because they're such a wonderful group of men and we've had a great time together and it's unfortunate when it mattered most we couldn't get it done," he said.
"We worked hard for 80 minutes but came unstuck and probably just didn't have that fluency that we'd had in previous games.
"You can't take anything away from them. They played a very tough game and they had 17 men very committed to the cause and they ended up getting it done."
Petero showing himself as everything that Stuart, Gallen and some of the others aren't.

Class.

mtngry

Juniors
I can't believe anyone would think the RLIF or the cup organisers were actually capable of organising a conspiracy considering they could not even organise the last RLWC at all and keep loosing the trophy.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
If Ricky wants to point the finger he can look no further than his team selections.

The Kiwis coming into the cup had lost Asotasi and Lima, leaving them with a lack of depth and quality in the front row. Price goes down injured so Ricky brings in another second rower with Fitzgibbon, a second rower who is well passed his best, as the ONLY interchange prop. That selection evened up the playing field right there, and with Hunt sitting on the bench for 72 odd minutes it's not like another prop couldn't have been utilised.

As for the referee conspiracy, the refs would struggle to have that much influence over the game unless a team gives them the opportunity. The penalty try can be argued over and over but if Monaghan doesn't create the situation then the opportunity to award the try doesn't exist.

I didn't see a huge difference in the time defenders were allowed to hold down for either team, the only real contentious decisions have come from the Kiwi tries. Penalty try is 50-50 but should never of even been an option if it wasn't for Monaghan, and I don't see Ricky accusing him of anything. The Benji one is an interesting one, as I'm sure I've seen something very similar happen in an NRL game. In any case the rulemakers have to shoulder the blame for that one, not the referee.

The last try I have no problem with. In the NRL it would technically be a no try, but I've never been a fan of the passive offside rule. More often than not I see those no try decisions as lucky breaks for bad play that goes unpunished.

pcpp

Juniors
BITTER Kangaroos coach Ricky Stuart faces disciplinary action after being accused of abusing referee Ashley Klein and "physically and aggressively intimidating" him and a top England official as they were checking out of their hotel the day after New Zealand's shock win in the tournament final.

Aside from a number of decisions by Klein and video referee Steve Ganson, it is understood Stuart alleged tournament organisers had disadvantaged the Kangaroos by pitting them against World Cup minnows Papua New Guinea and Fiji in the last two matches before the final .

http://www.leaguehq.com.au/news/news/stuart-faces-fine-after-referee-official-claim-they-were-abused/2008/11/24/1227491461252.html

Stuart is batsh*t insane. Sack him.

Poul

Juniors
I think all the conspiracy talk is all BS, and is a bit of an embarrassment. The Kiwis were the better team on the night. We had a chance to win, and MAYBE, if the "bounce of the ball" had gone our way we could have gotten away with it, but in the end, I don't think we deserved to.

By playing PNG and Fiji in our last two games prior to the final may not have had us as match hardened as the Kiwis, but I think they probably had the greater risk for injuries in their games against England.

I guess at least the conspiracy theorists are getting people talking about international Rugby League. Any publicity is good publicity :D

roopy

Referee
Yeah, Ricky needs to suck it up.
The players lost 15k each or something by coming second and have a right to be sh*tty with themselves, but Ricky is just being a tool.

Latest posts