What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stuart should get his own house in order - Bellamy

Evolution

Juniors
Probably been said but if they came down on it harder early in the season then Melb wouldn't be in the unfortunate situation of having to contest major finals without their skipper.

The one thing that irks me with the NRL is that they change the interpretation of the rules late in the season.

It happens with every sport and usually as a result of media pressure.

What the Storm would have learnt from all this is don't take an early guilty plea when you can fight it or it can come back and bite you in the arse.

If Smith had not plead guilty in the first round he could have had no carry over points or adjustment of the penalty and would be free to play.

Now not only does he miss the last two games he also has 80 points to carry all of next season to give him an extra week if he does anything stupid again.

_Johnsy

Referee
Ice,
No player was suspended, I was unaware that targeting a much smaller player in order to start a fight wasn't a dog act. Big tough forward I see he made a b-line for soward not another forward, and yes a dog act IMO.

Evolution

Of course you would, of course. Just keep your head in the sand.:roll:

Matt23

Staff member
On a side note - Why does everyone appear to hate Soward...He was not popular at the roosters and then Brown, Gasnier and Cooper had had enough of him also..

Seems like a likeable fella doesn't he...???
What the f*ck does that have to do with anything? :crazy:

Meth

Staff member
I know Bellamy is lampooning Stuart over what he sees as being hypocrisy, given the Sharks' players appear to have indulged themselves in a grapple or two- but if there is one coach who does have their house in order, it's Ricky Stuart. Seriously, he should have been coach of the year- what he has done with a (no offense Sharks' supporters) fairly rag-tag no name bunch is ridiculous. Compare that to Michael Hagan, who has talent to burn, but can't gel them into a cohesive unit and you get the idea that this guy can coach a football team.

eddiesmith

Juniors
I am glad to see Bellamy has nothing better to do this week

But according to the stats, if Ricky was really as bored as Bellamy then he could find 30 pictures of Storm players doing the wrong thing

But we must really have made the MRC work hard, 18 incidents in just 7 weeks? Wow, must have changed our game plan after round 20 and those are apparently on top of the weekly Paul Gallen charge for something that the MRC had to throw out :lol:

Younge

Juniors
I didn't say that, they did iunvent and perfect it though. Are you denying this ?

What facts do you have to support your assertion that the Storm invented and perfected these illegal tackles? The only hard facts we have are numbers from the MRC committee which show that all teams have issues and that some are worse than others. If Melbourne were the masters of these illegal tackles then why weren't they on top of the list by a country mile?

Why don't you be honest with yourself and admit that it's more convenient to believe that the Storm are doing something illegal than accept that it might have something to do with playing well or good coaching.

Special K

Coach
Because they have mastered the art of not getting caught. You only get caught when you do it badly and because the storm are so good at it they often get away with more because they hide it better.

That said they do so many clear cut ones it makes me sick.

Interestingly Laurie Daily asserted on tonights footy show that the Grapple first appeared in a match between the Storm and Canberra in 2003 and showed images of the Storm players using grapples. This would perhaps support the claim that Storm started the trend.

the stranglers

Juniors
Bellamy had to look at about five different games to get those imahes. I could get that many images of the Storm in the first ten mins of one game.

fatshark

Bench
Stuart does not say grapple in any of his statements.
All of those photos posted by Bellamy are of players on the ground or one on one standing tackels.
Stuart has a good opinion in that Smith was attacking the head, in standing position with another player, which is against the rules.

The Dodger

First Grade
you silly victorians...

the statistics for incidents involving the head doesnt actually mean grapple tackles you fools.

it involves all incidents including head high tackles and so on.

lol. go back to your arial ping pong.

Younge

Juniors
you silly victorians...

the statistics for incidents involving the head doesnt actually mean grapple tackles you fools.

it involves all incidents including head high tackles and so on.

lol. go back to your arial ping pong.

What's your point? Are you saying that a grapple tackle is worse than a highshot or any other form of illegal conduct or are you saying that a breakdown of the statistics would show that the Melbourne incidents are mainly grapples and would far exceed the same offence by any other club?

The Dodger

First Grade
What's your point? Are you saying that a grapple tackle is worse than a highshot or any other form of illegal conduct or are you saying that a breakdown of the statistics would show that the Melbourne incidents are mainly grapples and would far exceed the same offence by any other club?

you farkn moron, the thread is in regards to grapple tackles.

Younge

Juniors
you farkn moron, the thread is in regards to grapple tackles.

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't my question about grapple tackles Einstein? Try reading the question next time and see if you can formulate a response that actually has some relevance to what has been asked.

The Dodger

First Grade
Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't my question about grapple tackles Einstein? Try reading the question next time and see if you can formulate a response that actually has some relevance to what has been asked.

didnt read the second part... IM SORRY ALRIGHT!!!

the fact that the grapple hasnt really been called until recently (and very incosistantly), you really cant use those stats as most of them would be due to head high shots during impact.

im not saying they are any better but at least they are getting called.

edit. if anything, they are being called too much for the smallest type of contact.

thats what sticky has been trying to say.
if the nrl cracked down on this earlier, then cam smith would probably be still playing.
we even mentioned wayne bennett bringing it up three years ago.

you cant blame ricky for smith's 2 week suspension.
the judiciary would have given it to him regardless.
i think he has gotten off easy if you ask me

Younge

Juniors
you cant blame ricky for smith's 2 week suspension.
the judiciary would have given it to him regardless.
i think he has gotten off easy if you ask me

I don't think anyone is blaming Stuart for Cameron's suspension. What a lot of people are questioning is the consistency in applying these rulings.

The whole point of Bellamy's column was to highlight that Melbourne are being singled out by Stuart and others as the main offenders in this area whilst there are hard facts (presented in the article) to the contrary.

If the roles were reversed and Bellamy had initiated an attack on the integrity of Stuart this week then I'm sure there would have been a similar reaction from Stuart and all the Sharks faithful.

Frailty

First Grade
I don't think anyone is blaming Stuart for Cameron's suspension. What a lot of people are questioning is the consistency in applying these rulings.

The whole point of Bellamy's column was to highlight that Melbourne are being singled out by Stuart and others as the main offenders in this area whilst there are hard facts (presented in the article) to the contrary.

If the roles were reversed and Bellamy had initiated an attack on the integrity of Stuart this week then I'm sure there would have been a similar reaction from Stuart and all the Sharks faithful.

Firstly, Stuart was asked about it on a radio program, and didn't just come out and talk. Secondly, he didn't mention 'grapple tackle' but rather that Smith had attracked the head (not in those words). Thirdly, at no stage did Stuart direct attention to melbourne, but was simply answering a question asked. Fourthly, these 'hard facts' you claim are unreferenced. Fifthly, at NO stage did Stuart attack the integrity of Bellamy or the Storm.

Younge

Juniors
Firstly, Stuart was asked about it on a radio program, and didn't just come out and talk. Secondly, he didn't mention 'grapple tackle' but rather that Smith had attracked the head (not in those words). Thirdly, at no stage did Stuart direct attention to melbourne, but was simply answering a question asked. Fourthly, these 'hard facts' you claim are unreferenced. Fifthly, at NO stage did Stuart attack the integrity of Bellamy or the Storm.

"He's been found guilty of attacking the head or the neck, or whatever it was. Rules are rules," Stuart told Sydney radio 2KY.
"It's disappointing for Cameron. It's disappointing for their coach because he's a big part of their team.
"He's been flirting with it all year so the time comes when you pay the price.
"It's difficult for him. He's a good bloke. He'll be disappointed he's not going to be there."

Technically you're right. He's attacked the integrity of Cameron Smith rather than the whole team.

My understanding was that the numbers referenced were straight from the MRC. Is this incorrect?

"He's been found guilty of attacking the head or the neck, or whatever it was. Rules are rules," Stuart told Sydney radio 2KY.
"It's disappointing for Cameron. It's disappointing for their coach because he's a big part of their team.
"He's been flirting with it all year so the time comes when you pay the price.
"It's difficult for him. He's a good bloke. He'll be disappointed he's not going to be there."

Technically you're right. He's attacked the integrity of Cameron Smith rather than the whole team.

My understanding was that the numbers referenced were straight from the MRC. Is this incorrect?[/quote]

Who knows? I have been asking for those using his quote to show us the source and breakdown of these so called stats, but I believe no one can access such information

Perth Red

Post Whore
Everybody does grapple tackles, you see 6-10 at least every game. It's just the Storm that have been tagged for it, jealousy and trying to bring the best down a peg or two is an Australian past time!

Latest posts