What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summary?

KiamaSaint

Coach
Agree with both points
Do you think that BH may lack faith in his long passing game?

I don't know about Hornby's confidence but I have noticed that when we are in the Red zone and we head down the blind side, on the next tackle it is always two short passes in field to a forward that hits it up centre field. I guess they might want to go either way on the next tackle but I would love them to go old school now and again and line up deep across the width of the field. Two long passes and have either Hornby or Soward run cross field with players in motion, rather than setting up their pet play from the centre.

Last edited:

Father Ted

First Grade
I don't think Hornby is the problem although I concede he throws a few too many short balls . IMO it's the collective "dropsy" in the team as it is getting used to the more attacking Price style of play. Either we have patience and wait til the fine tune is completed or we panic and throw the baby out with the bath water. I really think we have to allow Price his settle in year and we have to believe our loyality and faith will be rewarded.

Cagey Mac

Bench
We're 4 from 7 and have beaten favourites Tigers, Manly and The Knights all without our goto centre. We're 1 from 4 away and 3 from 3 at home.
We've been beaten by teams 2,3 and 5 on the ladder all at their home grounds and we're working out new backline combinations.
All's well!

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
We're 4 from 7 and have beaten favourites Tigers, Manly and The Knights all without our goto centre. We're 1 from 4 away and 3 from 3 at home.
We've been beaten by teams 2,3 and 5 on the ladder all at their home grounds and we're working out new backline combinations.
All's well!

Fair points Cagey.

Hutty1986

Immortal
What's the f**king go with Coops anyway? They told us originally it was an "ankle sprain"..surely he'll be back for Anzac Day?

All's well!

Try telling that to the poster who claims it's all Hornby's fault. :lol:

TruSaint

Referee
Great point Cagney. When we take a step back and have an honest look, the boys have done well. Apart from Coops missing, Style is still learning his spot, Vidot is slowly but surely blending in with the side. Long way to go guys.
Originally Posted by Cagey Mac
All's well!

TruSaint

Referee
As for Benny... as posted under "256" can we just give the guy a break? Sorry guys you dont get to this milestone without talent and drive. Last time i checked he is still our Captain.

64 Dragon

Coach
I don't know about Hornby's confidence but I have noticed that when we are in the Red zone and we head down the blind side, on the next tackle it is always two short passes in field to a forward that hits it up centre field. I guess they might want to go either way on the next tackle but I would love them to go old school now and again and line up deep across the width of the field. Two long passes and have either Hornby or Soward run cross field with players in motion, rather than setting up their pet play from the centre.

What about the good old fashioned run around? Sterlo loves that!!!

Breathingfire

Juniors
Sterlo mentioned in the Newcastle Parra match last week that the Eels take far too many settlers for his liking and that even a run around would be better as it forces the defence to make decisions. I think we are a little guilty of taking too many settlers as well. When you are attacking the opposition line the key is to do everything at pace; as quick as you can.
If you watch Melbourne they never take settlers. If they want to get to centre field to put on a play, they will use two rucks to our one with forwards running tight off the hip directly pressuring the line. This way, they constantly move the defence and get lightening fast play of the balls.
The Dragons on the other hand, like to get very deep and float two big looping passes to the centre which asks no questions of the defence and results in a slow play the ball. In the modern game, the quick play-the-ball is your biggest weapon when attacking the line. We should stop trying to go around the defence with set plays and go through the middle with quick play the balls.

Breathingfire

Juniors
Yeah I do not think Hornby should be too much of a concern. I think as the year progresses and Price continues to put his mark on the side anything is possible.

Reyter

Juniors
All's well!

Stop sugar-coating the truth. We all know the team as it is now has no chance of winning the competition.

Reyter

Juniors
Try telling that to the poster who claims it's all Hornby's fault. :lol:

Are you referring to me? I blamed Soward and Hornby and said one of them has to go. Stanley hasn't been much good but centre isn't his position. IMO he is the ball-player they need in order to go from a good, probable top 8 team to the best team in the competition.

Given Hornby's age and the age of the Dragons squad generally and given the other things apart from ball-playing Soward brings to the team, I said Hornby should be the one to make way.

I realize it's an emotional issue. He has been so good for the Dragons for so long but I place the team above any individual. He will be the most capped Dragons players ever after next game and I'm sure has been paid very well and I hear the club sees him as a future coach. Isn't that enough?

IMO this is the team that can win the premiership for the Dragons this year:

1. Morris
2. Vidot
3. Green/C. Stanley
4. Cooper
5. Nightingale
6. K. Stanley
7. Soward
8. Weyman
9. Rein
10. Hunt
11. Creagh
12. Prior
13. Scott
14. Young
15. De Belin
16. Merrin
17. King

Cagey Mac

Bench
Stop sugar-coating the truth. We all know the team as it is now has no chance of winning the competition.

Sugar coating the truth means avoiding telling the truth to present a better picture.
Where have I done this?

You’re hypothesising, using ideas that you’ve apparently pulled out of your arse that
  • The team won’t evolve under Price
  • Other teams will maintain current form or improve and won't suffer through origin
  • Players untested or certainly unproven at NRL level. Chase Stanley, Green, Kyle at 5/8, Cam King will meld into a team with a new captain and win the comp.
Your propositions are sadly lacking in common sense and derisive our captain and now longest serving player under some incredible supposition that you actually have a clue.

So either put forward a cogent argument or at least learn the meaning of phrases that you use to counter what were plainly and simply the facts.

Sugar coating the truth means avoiding telling the truth to present a better picture.
Where have I done this?

You’re hypothesising, using ideas that you’ve apparently pulled out of your arse that
  • Other teams will maintain current form or improve and won't suffer through origin
  • Players untested or certainly unproven at NRL level. Chase Stanley, Green, Kyle at 5/8, Cam King will meld into a team with a new captain and win the comp.
Your propositions are sadly lacking in common sense and derisive our captain and now longest serving player under some incredible supposition that you actually have a clue.

So either put forward a cogent argument or at least learn the meaning of phrases that you use to counter what were plainly and simply the facts.

Well put Cagey.

It's certainly a lot more complex than just tossing the oldies onto the scrapheap and replacing them with rookies. If it was all that easy then we wouldn't need a coach. Or selectors.

We're basically a new outfit under Price trying to put it together. To tear it all down when we're 4 from 7 is way over the odds.

Take a look at the Panthers. Now there's a team that needs a shake up. Compared to them, we're sweet as.

Reyter

Juniors
Where have I done this?

What utter nonsense! If Stanley is never given a chance at 5/8 how can he ever be tested??? Same with King in the team at all but I think they must have promised him he would be given a chance when he resigned so I'm not overly concerned.

The team will evolve under Price. It will evolve by putting new players in. Hornby is a 32 year-old fullback playing halfback. He won't evolve! His game won't change.

Melbourne and Brisbane especially will suffer in the Origin period but will be back to their current form by the end of the regular season.

Your propositions are sadly lacking in common sense and derisive our captain and now longest serving player

Make it personal if you like. To then state that I can't put forward a cogent argument is more than a little disingenuous but it's ok. One of the main reasons I want Hornby to make way instead of Soward is because he is the longest serving player in the team. He has had a great career but even Johns, Fittler and etc had to retire. Langer much less gracefully.

BTW: I still think Hornby has value to the team as a utility on the bench. Just as a halfback it's time for him to step aside.

I still think Hornby has value to the team as a utility on the bench.

What value is that exactly?

If you're suggesting hooker, we have Fien or King to fill that bench role. Most sides who are serious about winning a comp wouldn't be carrying a hooker and halfback on the bench.