What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Summary?

Reyter

Juniors
The Hornby discussion is as futile as ever. He is not going to be dropped, and nor should he. His output from a purely performance aspect is fine, coupled with the intangible leadership, direction qualities he brings to the team as captain.

lol answering on behalf of 100% of Dragons fans. Hubris, or something worse?

Even after the attacking debacles of the last 2 weeks??!! If what you say is true I still "hope" they win every game but to be realistic, think they will have to be content to be in the top 8 while Price is coach. I however don't believe it is true. If the attack doesn't dramatically improve over the next few weeks, I think there are going to be wholesale changes to the backline, including the halves.

I'm glad you mentioned form as to why he shouldn't be dropped, albeit feelingly before you went onto his leadership qualities and again, pulled out the "captain" card.

Reyter

Juniors
From what I have seen of all 16 teams so far this season.....I don't think we will win it, because Storm are unbeatable at the moment. Nothing to do with who is in our 6 and 7 jumpers. Our current halves pairing is better than at least half of the other 15 teams. I don't have a crystal ball like you, Reyter, that shows us capable of winning the comp with Soward and Kyle in the halves.

Having said that, I think we can win the comp this year with our current team....Storm could lose form over the next 4 and a half months, cop a few injuries to key personel etc. We are as much a chance as any other team.

Well it gets a little annoying when I am denounced for ranting or trolling or whatever only to see my words flagrantly misrepresented. For the 50th time, I never said Soward and Stanley are a sure thing to go well in the halves. I only said they should give it a try because at present the team is mediocre and Soward and Hornby are obviously not going to get any better. They have been playing together in the halves for over 3 years. Even if it goes bad, at least they know the solution to the problem isn't right under their noses as it was for fullback.

Even after the attacking debacles of the last 2 weeks??!! If what you say is true I still "hope" they win every game but to be realistic, think they will have to be content to be in the top 8 while Price is coach. I however don't believe it is true. If the attack doesn't dramatically improve over the next few weeks, I think there are going to be wholesale changes to the backline, including the halves.

I'm glad you mentioned form as to why he shouldn't be dropped, albeit feelingly before you went onto his leadership qualities and again, pulled out the "captain" card.

Let's talk about our "attacking debacles". You can only play what's in front of you. The past 2 weeks have both been defence-oriented games. And in each case our opponent's goal line defence was first class. Our team had an off night against the Sharks which finished 12-0, yet most commentators rated it as a good quality game (remember, a ref error denied us a fair try as well). We had a few disallowed tries in the Knights game as well, of which a couple probably should have gone our way.

Similarly, the Storm v Bulldogs game finished on 12-6. Yet most people who watched it would rate it as a high quality game.

The attack is there. If you look a bit closer, e.g. the Nightingale try which involved a short inside Soward pass to Morris, and the Scott try off a clever Hornby pass, were both great tries. But Newcastle got their goal line defence in order after that.

I'm sorry they didn't score the 40+ points your standards clearly require, but I was at the game and enjoyed the spectacle.

Where were you?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
You don't like the captain card because it doesn't suit your agenda. What do you think a captain does on the field? Just call the toss of the coin and and talk to the ref?

Reyter

Juniors
Let's talk about our "attacking debacles". You can only play what's in front of you. The past 2 weeks have both been defence-oriented games. And in each case our opponent's goal line defence was first class. Our team had an off night against the Sharks which finished 12-0, yet most commentators rated it as a good quality game (remember, a ref error denied us a fair try as well). We had a few disallowed tries in the Knights game as well, of which a couple probably should have gone our way.

Similarly, the Storm v Bulldogs game finished on 12-6. Yet most people who watched it would rate it as a high quality game.

The attack is there. If you look a bit closer, e.g. the Nightingale try which involved a short inside Soward pass to Morris, and the Scott try off a clever Hornby pass, were both great tries. But Newcastle got their goal line defence in order after that.

I'm sorry they didn't score the 40+ points your standards clearly require, but I was at the game and enjoyed the spectacle.

Where were you?

Of course they were defence-oriented games because the Dragons have very little flair or creativity in the halves. I know when I first joined this forum many people were saying it but now it seems they have been chased off by the "mediocre is ok" crowd.

If it wasn't for the blowout against the Tigers the Dragons would ahve the worst attack in the competition at present. As is, they have the 3rd worst. I think that says it all.

Of course they were defence-oriented games because the Dragons have very little flair or creativity in the halves. I know when I first joined this forum many people were saying it but now it seems they have been chased off by the "mediocre is ok" crowd.

If it wasn't for the blowout against the Tigers the Dragons would ahve the worst attack in the competition at present. As is, they have the 3rd worst. I think that says it all.

You also didn't respond regarding your attendance at the game? Have you ever been to a Dragons game? Or wouldn't waste your money as they don't score enough tries for you?

Reyter

Juniors
OK, how do you explain the Storm-Dogs scoreline then? Little creativity in the halves there too?

Bulldogs dominating for most of the game but unable to get over the line, largely due to missing their regular halfback. Seemingly severely missing creativity when attacking the opposition try line. Their hooker is also playing very poorly.

How do you explain the fact the Dragons have the 3rd worst attack in the competition at present despite a blowout scoreline against the Tigers?

Bulldogs dominating for most of the game but unable to get over the line, largely due to missing their regular halfback. Seemingly severely missing creativity when attacking the opposition try line. Their hooker is also playing very poorly.

How do you explain the fact the Dragons have the 3rd worst attack in the competition at present despite a blowout scoreline against the Tigers?

We've had one of the tougher draws so far. We've beaten Manly, Tigers and Newcastle (twice). Had the tough away game to the Broncos, and lost 2 other games to sides currently in the top 4 or 5.

Using for and against stats to boost your argument after only 7 rounds of the comp is pure rubbish.

Reyter

Juniors
You also didn't respond regarding your attendance at the game? Have you ever been to a Dragons game? Or wouldn't waste your money as they don't score enough tries for you?

I'm at the other end of the planet at present. Supposed to be spring but still freezing! No wonder I'm in such a bad mood. It isn't only because of the "mediocre is ok" trolls. If you buy me a ticket an air ticket I will make sure I get to the game anywhere in Australia or NZ. I moved from Woolongong to GC when I was 11. I went to every game when they went to the GC and most in Brisbane. Is that ok for you? Am I now qualified to give an opinion?

Reyter

Juniors
We've had one of the tougher draws so far. We've beaten Manly, Tigers and Newcastle (twice). Had the tough away game to the Broncos, and lost 2 other games to sides currently in the top 4 or 5.

Using for and against stats to boost your argument after only 7 rounds of the comp is pure rubbish.

Right and were you the one talking earlier about how even the competition is? So 7 rounds isn't enough to get a good indication of a teams strengths and weaknesses?

Last edited:

jenninga

First Grade

The Storm defence is what lost the Bulldogs the game,if they played another team they would have won.
I have said it before but a big reason we are struggling in attack is our centres with Coops being out and Kyle needing more confidence to attack and combine with Flo.We are missing Gaz so we are doing ok so far.

Right and were you the one talking earlier about how even the competition is? So 7 rounds isn't enough to get a good indication of a teams strengths and weaknesses?

No. The way the comp is structured, it's all about just getting some wins on the board early before the rep season starts.

Whether we've scored 300 points or 104 is largely irrelevant. There are currently 10 sides below us on the ladder who would trade places with us, I'm sure.

Missing one of our main attacking weapons in Coops has also been a minus for us.

Reyter

Juniors
The Storm defence is what lost the Bulldogs the game,if they played another team they would have won.
I have said it before but a big reason we are struggling in attack is our centres with Coops being out and Kyle needing more confidence to attack and combine with Flo.We are missing Gaz so we are doing ok so far.

Stanley does now and has always struck me as a ball-player rather than a running centre.

For sure they are doing ok but from what I have seen so far, it's going to be a disappointing season. Without Morris at fullback can you imagine how bad the attack would be?

Reyter

Juniors
No. The way the comp is structured, it's all about just getting some wins on the board early before the rep season starts.

Whether we've scored 300 points or 104 is largely irrelevant. There are currently 10 sides below us on the ladder who would trade places with us, I'm sure.

Missing one of our main attacking weapons in Coops has also been a minus for us.

So what you are saying is that they can be content with being terrible in attack now because things will have evened out when the rep season is finished? Don't you think Dragons players will have much to do with rep games? Unfortunately I think you are right. Any number of forwards are close but all could easily miss out on Origin selection. One would have to think Morris would get in for NSW and of course Nightingale for NZ but other than that the backs have no chance. Carney has shown at Cronulla what a good, ball-playing 5/8 can do for centres.

I'm at the other end of the planet at present. Supposed to be spring but still freezing! No wonder I'm in such a bad mood. It isn't only because of the "mediocre is ok" trolls. If you buy me a ticket an air ticket I will make sure I get to the game anywhere in Australia or NZ. I moved from Woolongong to GC when I was 11. I went to every game when they went to the GC and most in Brisbane. Is that ok for you? Am I now qualified to give an opinion?

I'm sure you know as you lived there, but it's Wollongong, mate.

Carney has shown at Cronulla what a good, ball-playing 5/8 can do for centres.

Yeah, using your 'total points scored after 7 rounds' ratings system, they've scored a massive 110 points to our meagre 104.

A huge difference. That Carney is a genius.

Latest posts