What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Sharks

Perth Red

Post Whore
Are we seriously using Facebook followers as a measurement of support because we couldn't be bothered to google search the Roy Morgan polls!?

Here is the Roy Morgan data for 2019, 2018, and 2017.

There is some serious BS going on in them figures lol. Given any actual genuine measurement, ie attendance, membership, social media following or tv viewing figures the actual clubs fanbase is significantly lower than what they claim. Id bu surprised if most clubs have more than 150-200k genuine supporters ie people who actually follow them on a week by week basis through tv or other means.

mongoose

Coach
Are we seriously using Facebook followers as a measurement of support because we couldn't be bothered to google search the Roy Morgan polls!?

Here is the Roy Morgan data for 2019, 2018, and 2017.

I don't think Roy Morgan is anymore accurate, isn't it just based on surveys? which is why you get Storm and Swans with 1 million+ fans. People in Melbourne when asked what League team they go for are just going to say Storm even though they may never even watch a League game on TV. Same applies for the Swans in Sydney.

tri_colours

Juniors
I don't think Roy Morgan is anymore accurate, isn't it just based on surveys? which is why you get Storm and Swans with 1 million+ fans. People in Melbourne when asked what League team they go for are just going to say Storm even though they may never even watch a League game on TV. Same applies for the Swans in Sydney.

Big surge in Panther numbers since Gus Left

Taking The Two

Juniors
As an Englishman, I can’t get my head around the idea of uprooting a side and placing them elsewhere, thousands of miles in Perth or even changing their name. I also struggle to comprehend that the hub for Rugby League in Australia and arguably, the World, Sydney has too many teams, too.

Surely uprooting a side with a relatively long history, like the Sharks, will surely just breed resentment, anger and disapproval and to me at least, that seems like an impossible concoction to make work in a “new” city. That and the fact that you’re alienating thousands of fans of a club, who’ll seemingly turn their back on the game, as they’re not going to simply follow this “new” side and they won’t change their allegiance.

The only way I can see new teams working is the “promotion” of existing clubs.

MugaB

Coach
according to official facebook page this is how many followers each club has. Obviously this has to be taken with a grain of salt as most of the followers are not paying members or engaged with the club in any meaningful way but I think it's interesting as it does show the potential fanbase each club could have...

Panthers - 160k
Raiders -164k
Sharks -169k
Dragons - 182k
Sea Eagles - 187k
Titans - 192k
Knights - 234k
Roosters - 240k
Tigers - 265k
Bulldogs - 283k
Cowboys 290k
Eels - 320k
Rabbitohs - 436k
Warriors - 475k
Storm 499k
Broncos - 656k

Titans have more followers than 5 other clubs. Broncos are miles ahead of everyone else.
Another interesting thing is the biggest AFL club on facebook only has 390k followers and that's Collingwood.
Yes being a facebook follower automatically marks you as a fan,
this is the way!
mando.jpg

Last edited:

The Great Dane

First Grade
There is some serious BS going on in them figures lol. Given any actual genuine measurement, ie attendance, membership, social media following or tv viewing figures the actual clubs fanbase is significantly lower than what they claim. Id bu surprised if most clubs have more than 150-200k genuine supporters ie people who actually follow them on a week by week basis through tv or other means.

I alluded to that before, it's still a better source then f**king Facebook.

The Great Dane

First Grade
As an Englishman, I can’t get my head around the idea of uprooting a side and placing them elsewhere, thousands of miles in Perth or even changing their name. I also struggle to comprehend that the hub for Rugby League in Australia and arguably, the World, Sydney has too many teams, too.

Surely uprooting a side with a relatively long history, like the Sharks, will surely just breed resentment, anger and disapproval and to me at least, that seems like an impossible concoction to make work in a “new” city. That and the fact that you’re alienating thousands of fans of a club, who’ll seemingly turn their back on the game, as they’re not going to simply follow this “new” side and they won’t change their allegiance.

The only way I can see new teams working is the “promotion” of existing clubs.

Do we really have to have these discussions again?

Just Google search Sydney Swans and read about their history, you'll find all the answers to your questions there.

Perth Red

Post Whore
As an Englishman, I can’t get my head around the idea of uprooting a side and placing them elsewhere, .

I'm not surprised, look at Swinton, their dozen or so fans would rather see the club fold than be renamed Manchester. Flat caps find change hard lol.

T-Boon

Coach
What if the Sharks moved to the city and to placate their disgruntled cronulla fans gave existing members free membership for the year (and following years) and the NRL covered the cost of that for the club.

MugaB

Coach
What if the Sharks moved to the city and to placate their disgruntled cronulla fans gave existing members free membership for the year (and following years) and the NRL covered the cost of that for the club.
Whats the obsession with sharks being in the city? ;)

Angry_eel

First Grade
As an Englishman

Stopped reading right there :p

No, look, Australia is stuck between the English and American way of doing things. If we went by the English way then NRL should have relegation and promotion. Small towns would then be able to come in to NRL and drop if they are unsuccessful. However, that's not going to happen as country Australia has been dying for some time. There's no real country town clubs in Australia, in any sport(that I know of, maybe basketball or netball do). Does anyone really consider Newcastle and Townsville country?

By the American way of doing things, franchise are in place to make money. They can move, merge and cease to exist depending on the profit. AFL and NRL have the combinations of these.

e.g. Melbourne Storm shouldn't exist by the English way of doing things because people in Melbourne probably gave zero crap about NRL in in 1999. Sharks should move, so should Western Bulldogs and change names according to the American way.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Stopped reading right there :p

No, look, Australia is stuck between the English and American way of doing things. If we went by the English way then NRL should have relegation and promotion. Small towns would then be able to come in to NRL and drop if they are unsuccessful. However, that's not going to happen as country Australia has been dying for some time. There's no real country town clubs in Australia, in any sport(that I know of, maybe basketball or netball do). Does anyone really consider Newcastle and Townsville country?

By the American way of doing things, franchise are in place to make money. They can move, merge and cease to exist depending on the profit. AFL and NRL have the combinations of these.

e.g. Melbourne Storm shouldn't exist by the English way of doing things because people in Melbourne probably gave zero crap about NRL in in 1999. Sharks should move, so should Western Bulldogs and change names according to the American way.

Pretty fair summary. Its now 13 years since we added any new blood to the NRL. Its way overdue to see our great game expand.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Should be Roosters Dragons (5 games) and Souths playing out of the overpiced new Allianz. All that money spent with only the Roosters getting any benefit seems a missed opportunity for NRL in Sydney.