What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

gregstar

Referee
Joey probably thought he escaped punishment ... took drugs all those years never being suspended once.

Instead, NSW put him up on a pedestal. Told him he was the best.

This day was inevitable.

You reap what you sow.
i couldn't give a rats *rse about johns.

any other moral / spiritual delights for me?

Slackboy72

Coach
I simply don't understand racism..... How the f**k can someone judge a person based upon their ethnicity or colour of their skin?

We are all the same race, just with physical variations. A black person is a homo sapien just like a white person is

Because it was 'okay' in their fathers day.
And it was 'okay' in theirs fathers fathers day.
And it was 'okay' in their grandfathers fathers day.
...and so on and so on.

RedVfaithful

Juniors
Tahu is a whinger, he could of just talked to johns and said he dosent like wat he is saying and it would of been all over but instead he runs away like aliitle girl causing the media to get involved

ANTiLAG

First Grade
But there would have been other ways to shame or expose him publicly. It didn't need him to punish himself in the process. If the NSW management had been told and did nothing then it's another matter but their comments indicate that they didn't even know why he walked.

Like how? Make a press statement saying "joey said this" - its him or me.

Of course their comments indicate ignorance of the matter. The whole situation reaks of ignorance. If Tahu made a formal complaint and no action was taken he did the right thing to walk.

redVfaithful said:
Tahu is a whinger, he could of just talked to johns and said he dosent like wat he is saying and it would of been all over but instead he runs away like aliitle girl causing the media to get involved

Why is the media involved a bad thing? Perhaps Timana actually thought he could do some good for young aboriginal players by causing a stir and getting the media involved which leads to silly coaches keeping their racist comments to themselves.

Why should Johns enjoy the benefit of anonymity for his comments? How many privileges he is entitled too?

Don't get me wrong - I debated and stood up for Johns many times on this forum about his drug use and bi polar. But this: inexecusable.

No excuses for racism nor racist comments from someone who should clearly know better.
Well done Tahu for taking a stand. Would have been easier to turn a deaf ear. Perhaps the people on this forum who call Tahu a sook and whinger are really upset he took a stand instead of turning a deaf ear and "knowing his place".

Tahu's actions assist needed change.

Noa

First Grade
Ppeople really missing the point.

It doesnt matter what he said, and it was probably pretty tame & generic, but he's the coach of a rep team.

Case closed, ariverderci, sayo-nara, dont let the door hit you.

Dazzat

First Grade
NSW have no choice but to sack Johns, and Channel Nine should follow suit just as quickly.

Ike E Bear

Juniors
I actually have to say I kinda respect Tahu for taking a stand like this, it's obviously an issue he feels strongly about and he wants to make sure stuff like this isn't still happening.

If I was him I wouldn't walk away from SoO however I can understand his reasoning.

I tend to agree.

As a dad, I can see how Timana might feel more strongly about being a strong role model and standing up for something that's important to him (and should be important to everyone) than he does about even an Origin jumper.

His action comes at a great personal cost. I can't imagine that he'll play Origin ever again, and it sounds like he understands that.

We mightn't understand it, but it's his life. He has to be able to look at himself in the mirror, which includes trying to make the world a better place for his children, who we should all hope can grow up in a world free of racism.

Kiki

First Grade
why are people loling at me saying it's sad and regrettable? it IS. on both sides.

Evenflow

Bench
Oh yeah - the friendly socially acceptable racism that still says you're inferior to me because of your skin colour but its okay because I'm talking about the opposition player not you personally.

Do you want NSW to be known as 1980's Joberg or Texts

So if i was to make reference to a friends skin color you instantly assume that i think he's inferior to me? Does that mean when he calls me a white merkin (which he often does and i piss myself) i should be offended and think he feels i'm inferior LOL? My mate who is of indigenous descent is one of my best mates i've ever had but i never have and never will think or feel he's inferior to me in any way whatsoever just because of that fact.

I'd NEVER mention or ridicule anyones skin color or race if i didn't know them. That also goes for countless other situations that aren't racial. It's called context and perspective knackers, go out and get yourself some because every situation is different.

Dazzat

First Grade
Joey was given a position of responsibility. The guy doesn't understand the word because he's never been held responsible for his actions (drug taking) in the past ... in fact he's been rewarded for them.

A little lesson about positions of responsibility Joey ... you just can't shoot you're mouth off because when you're in leadership, your words carry much more weight than when you are just a player. People are looking toward you for direction and strength.

In their rebuilding, NSW should choose leaders based on their character not on their past playing ability.

Noa

First Grade
The context is evenflow you have none.

Black people getting angry over words is anger over generations of hurt, passed down.

Thems the facts.

Kiki

First Grade
i think it's a bit unfair to label him as a 'drug taker' when he is bipolar and was clearly self medicating, like a huge majority of mentally ill people do.

ANTiLAG

First Grade
Joeys a sook.

Walking out on a team he's coaching for comments he made himself before a big game.

Way to go and punish the team Joey.

Question - didn't the earliest media report Joey as saying some of the comments were aimed at himself?

How is Joey a "black rahrah?"

or was he still trying to hide the comment then

or

is this still more to the story?