What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tahu out, Monaghan in and Andrew Johns quits over racism row before S.O.O. II

Timana: like him or hate him?

• Love him. Took a stand against racism.

Votes: 5 18.5%
  • Publicity whore. Sook. Harden the f**k up.

Votes: 15 55.6%
  • Timana who? Meh

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

MightyBronco

Juniors
lol...

but yeah, you have to take this seriously now. Its a big deal, with pretty wide ramifications. Johns is screwed.

cornerposter

Juniors
For God's sake. Johns is not a racist. It is obvious. How many freakin dark coloured people did he play with. Shut up, you absolute stupid f*ckheads. God I hate keyboard heroes. The things that are said on here, and you think you have the right to judge others...

Tahu didn't face up to it, and he definitely did not run away with the thought of young aboriginals in mind. It seems that all he did, was say that 'kids, if there are racists in your club, run away, and let the racist ones stay'. And if Andrew Johns had not done the honourable thing and quit, well then that would be exactly what happened. He was looking out for himself, he couldn't be in the same place as Joey, or he knew he would not be right for the game and had to have time off, which is fine of course, but he did not do what he should have done and confronted Johns himself, hell Johns didn't even know until after Tahu left and he rang him. But 'sending a strong message' Please...
You seem to know a bit about what went on. I reckon only Tahu's jocks could know more about him than you...
...oh wait, is that a skid mark on the back of your neck?

Springs

First Grade
Shut up racist!

That deeply offends me sir. I am not a racist, and I actually defend many people whom racist remarks are made towards. I hear racism every day in my community, far worse than anything Joey has said, I hear jokes made about racism at my football club, in which the Fijians and Tongans outnumber the white people by far, and none of them leave. I am good friends with all of them. I have withstood many remarks made about my non-religious beliefs, and I have been offended by them often. I changed my whole lifestyle about 3 1/2 years ago, when my friend was killed, by an aboriginal, who was also my friend. I used to have a 'f**k off we're full' attitude towards immigrants and indigenous people, but I learnt tolerance after that. In fact I believe there are no races, just the human race, I do not call anyone black or white or yellow, we are all just human, and I believe there should be no countries, as they are only divisive.

So to you I say, calling me a racist is deeply offensive and disgusting, good humoured or not, and I will not stand for it. However, I will not just get up and leave and not return, but face up to it.

Springs

First Grade
Anyway Blues, let's stop all this nonsense and unite! Wednesday is still our biggest game ever, we need to win! Fire Up!!!

Springs

First Grade
Oh and did anyone hear about Inglis leaving camp to deal with his cousin's death. Poor guy. Inglis must be far more devastated than what tahu is, and not over just a silly remark either. Tragic.

lockyrulz

Juniors
That deeply offends me sir. I am not a racist, and I actually defend many people whom racist remarks are made towards. I hear racism every day in my community, far worse than anything Joey has said, I hear jokes made about racism at my football club, in which the Fijians and Tongans outnumber the white people by far, and none of them leave. I am good friends with all of them. I have withstood many remarks made about my non-religious beliefs, and I have been offended by them often. I changed my whole lifestyle about 3 1/2 years ago, when my friend was killed, by an aboriginal, who was also my friend. I used to have a 'f**k off we're full' attitude towards immigrants and indigenous people, but I learnt tolerance after that. In fact I believe there are no races, just the human race, I do not call anyone black or white or yellow, we are all just human, and I believe there should be no countries, as they are only divisive.

So to you I say, calling me a racist is deeply offensive and disgusting, good humoured or not, and I will not stand for it. However, I will not just get up and leave and not return, but face up to it.

That's just what a racist WOULD say...

Paullyboy

Coach
I will never understand why being called a "black c..t" is so offensive. The only way that could possibly be deemed offensive in my eyes would be if you were ashamed of your heritage. If someone calls me a "white c..t" I'd have absolutely no issue with it. People call each other names all the time, it's just part of life, why people get offended when there is a colour in front of that name is beyond me.

Why does putting the "c bomb" at the end of something automatically make it so horrible? Fair dinkum, if you are offended by words like that, you need to grow up. Political correctness has turned society into a pack of wankers.

Noa

First Grade
I will never understand why being called a "black c..t" is so offensive. The only way that could possibly be deemed offensive in my eyes would be if you were ashamed of your heritage. If someone calls me a "white c..t" I'd have absolutely no issue with it. People call each other names all the time, it's just part of life, why people get offended when there is a colour in front of that name is beyond me.

Why does putting the "c bomb" at the end of something automatically make it so horrible? Fair dinkum, if you are offended by words like that, you need to grow up. Political correctness has turned society into a pack of wankers.

Its all about historical context. White merkin doesnt have a nasty history, black merkin does. Simple really, unless your really simple.

Paullyboy

Coach
Its all about historical context. White merkin doesnt have a nasty history, black merkin does. Simple really, unless your really simple.

People who are bothered by the past are destined to never achieve anything in the future.

That is particularly the case for someone like Tahu, who would have grown up in exactly the same (if not better) society than I did.

I hate people using excuses about their ancestors as a reason for why they feel hard done by. It's the softest option possible.

Noa

First Grade
People who are bothered by the past are destined to never achieve anything in the future.

That is particularly the case for someone like Tahu, who would have grown up in exactly the same (if not better) society than I did.

I hate people using excuses about their ancestors as a reason for why they feel hard done by. It's the softest option possible.

Lol ancestors, does your father & grandparents count as an "ancestors".

Anyway you've totally missed the point as one thing has nothing to do with the other.

Paullyboy

Coach
I realise I've gone off on a tangent to an extent, but it's all relative I believe.

I go back to my original point - there is absolutely NOTHING anyone could say to me that would make me consider missing something I was passionate about and I find it impossible to believe any grown adult would be any different. Tahu is clearly just a money-hungry whore who has no passion for rugby league (as his union stint showed) and as such, he'll do whatever he can to get a bit of publicity.

RABK

Referee
I agree with a lot of what Paullboy has said.

That been said, Johns is an idiot but not a racist. I'd be a rich man if i had a dollar for everytime i heard or even made a remark myself that could be considered racist by the PC crowd. I could roll of the top of my head some very common examples that YOU and i would have both heard numerous times whether amongst friends, at work or at a pub - the difference been most of the time it is said in humour and is accepted or retaliated in kind.

And it goes for remarks made against all skin colours or racial stereotypes. Heck i witnessed a friend slip in some jest to another asian friend about a stereotypical thing said about asian men after the asian argued that Australian's, based on our convict heritage, are too trashy to truly enjoy 'football, the world game'. All tongue in cheek and not a word said without a upturned lip because it was all of the tongue, not from the heart. The fact that you knew exactly what the asian remark was without me needing to go into detail shows exactly how decent people, not living in the past and who have embraced multicultarilism can live life without such a chip on their shoulder.

Big difference is Johns position, he should know better but obviously doesn't and he obviously said it infront of a man with a chip on his shoulder.

When Timana can explain to me why a photo of wayne rooney mouth wide opened celebrating a goal next to a photo of monkey doing a similar pose is funny whilst a photo of say Thierry Henry doing the same next to the same monkey photo is no longer funny, but racist - i'll pity the sook.

Don't even try and deny that above scenario - plenty of media would happily print the rooney one but wouldn't go near the Henry one.

I'm one to argue that some people who cry racist are indeed the racist themselves - either that or they just want attention, pity, sympathy etc. Mundines SMH article today is a prime example.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
QLD by 20 btw.

Thurston does look like a monkey rat creature. But a damn good player he is.

Sue me.

BLKOUT!

Juniors
Tahu's a bit precious isn't he. Sacking Johns was the right move but abandoning the team because of a comment that was directed at someone from the other team?

AuDragon

Juniors
Tahu's a bit precious isn't he. Sacking Johns was the right move but abandoning the team because of a comment that was directed at someone from the other team?
Maybe he was left with no choice because after 2 days, nothing was being done about it? Everyone knows Johns is a NSW sacred cow...:roll:

RABK

Referee
Well Tahu's stance will be met with a cheer from the PC crowd initially but long term it does nothing but hurt the Anglo/Aborigine relationship he feels so strongly about because it stirs up worms like Mundine and gives him a reason to fling his racial propaganda. The man hates white people.

Did his stance stop anyone of the 236,751 remarks said in the same context flung about tonight in various homes, parties, clubs around the country whether White, black, arab, hispanic, islander etc? No.

"Deadset cant take a joke, wasnt even directed at him...I cop so much abuse about being a dirty blackie, n its all fun n games, Tahu needs a cup of concrete and harden the f up..."

^ My half Australian, Half fijian friend on his facebook. Can't play football like Tahu, but obviously a person who enjoys his life a lot more and proud enough of his heritage to know what is below the belt and what ain't.

Last edited:

RABK

Referee
My sister married an aborigine man, ha - you should see the flack that goes on between me and him but i've never left his company without shaking his hand. Nothing him or I say to eachother is from the heart, we merely pull stereotypes out and play tennis with them.

Would i say or indeed tolerate a remark(s) said in the same context to say... an aboriginal man at work i had not known long? Of course not - boundaries to draw up. If i knew that same man for a while and we both accepted some remarks said in humour then fine - we know the boundaries - they've got to be painted in humour and jest.

Johns obviously thought he and T had agreed on boundaries over the years - he was wrong. Better ways to deal with it then.

It's all comes down to Logic - not PC. You know it's fair game, then fair enough. If you not sure, don't try it. My gripe is Johns should know in his position it's never fair game, but Tahu's reaction is a disgrace imo.

Last edited:

AuDragon

Juniors
My gripe is Johns should know in his position it's never fair game, but Tahu's reaction is a disgrace imo.
Look at the guy with the "high morals" regarding Folau, trying to somehow put the onus on Tahu... Now, THAT's a disgrace!

Latest posts